Woodstock, 35 years ago today

bully

And listening to an aniversary show on the local FM.
Celebrating all the artists, not just the ones on the album.
Pot, peace & love-- what happened?!

It is isn't it? and Mountain is playing in SF tonight too. It is too bad
they haven't released all the music filmed and recorded. :(

Carl

FYI, there was another event in Canada a year or so later called the Festival Express. They figured that a Woodstock-style event would be difficult for everyone to trive to, so they put a bunch of performers on a train with everything to keep them happy and sent them off on tour. This included Janis Joplin, the Grateful Dead, and a host of other huge stars at the time.

There was footage taken of this, but it hasn't been released until this year, when a producer went all over looking for the film fragments, many of which had been taken home by the cameramen themselves as they never got paid for their work LOL.

It's an amazing document, with Janis J. literally burning up the stage with her performance, and Jerry Garcia for the first time playing something which sounds like more than the usual pointless twiddling I hear on most Dead-related material. New respect for the man.

The coolest thing was the car fitted out just for jamming - they set up a whole band's worth of kit and they just played their brains out the whole time.

It should be out on DVD later this year - worth getting!

Cheers

Originally posted by Elbowgeek
FYI, there was another event in Canada a year or so later called the Festival Express. They figured that a Woodstock-style event would be difficult for everyone to trive to, so they put a bunch of performers on a train with everything to keep them happy and sent them off on tour. This included Janis Joplin, the Grateful Dead, and a host of other huge stars at the time.

There was footage taken of this, but it hasn't been released until this year, when a producer went all over looking for the film fragments, many of which had been taken home by the cameramen themselves as they never got paid for their work LOL.

It's an amazing document, with Janis J. literally burning up the stage with her performance, and Jerry Garcia for the first time playing something which sounds like more than the usual pointless twiddling I hear on most Dead-related material. New respect for the man.

The coolest thing was the car fitted out just for jamming - they set up a whole band's worth of kit and they just played their brains out the whole time.

It should be out on DVD later this year - worth getting!

Cheers

There was an interview on NPR this week with the guy who remastered the sound into 5.1 for the upcoming film. It sounds like a pretty kewl piece of rock history being revived.

Yep, it's amazing that relatively few ever heard of this. It certainly had the proper organisation for a festival of the time - particularly the disastrous financial organisation LOL.

Cheers

It should be out on DVD later this year - worth getting
it,s actually playing in a small theatre in winnipeg and if i get the chance ill have to go check it out.its been getting rave reviews in the local newspapers and is definately worth seeing.the version in the theatre is a shorter version than the planned release on dvd which i think will have an additional 1hr of footage. the part of this film that i like is that they played winnipeg on canada day july1 1970.

I had bought The Who's 20 years of Maximum R&B some years ago, and was amazed that it had the entire performace they played at Woodstock. Truly ranks as one of the greatest live performances ever. There were so many at that concert, each performer gave 110% and got paid nothing. I remember my friends big brother had left for Woodstock in his 1966 T-Bird with probably a boat load of acid...LOL.

Damn ! 35 years ! I was 12 then, so I was a good 5-10 years too young, really, for Woodstock. Besides, my granmaw said hippies were dirty, filthy people, & yr granmaw never lies, does she?<grin>. Anybody who really remembers Woodstock or was there is now an old gee himself, as old or older than the folks they were protestin against back then. Went to the hippy site-all I could think was-How Quaint! All seems so naiive in the wake of 9/11...-Sandy G.

We have gone underground, hiding as one of you. The original Ideals and concepts are still around but it gets harder every year. As we age it is easier to accept the status quo than to speak out. Those were electrifying years when everything seemed to come together(babyboomers!) . There was a war on("War is good business- invest your son") and the beginnings of many political("Power to the people.") and cultural revolutions("Sex, Drugs, and Rock n Roll") As the war began its decline in the early seventies so did the movements. We were naiive not stupid. Hello Disco.

Just saw Richie Havens at the Mystic Theater in Petaluma last week, while on a trip visiting relatives. The spirit of Woodstock is still alive and well in this man. He put on a great performance and gave inspiration to younger attendees (some had never heard of Richie), and those of us who lived naively thru the 60's with high ideals.

Richie opened Woodstock 35 years ago.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom