Work on a pair of QLS-1

Those are beautiful and in fantastic condition. Grill covers too! Excellent! Take good care of those speakers....the old adage: "The just don't make 'em like that any longer" is the truth with the Infinity Quantum's as they just might last another 40 years.

BTW, yours are the nicer Q1's with the finished front panel. These are much, much nicer than the black faced Q1.

Last edited:
one ring is smaller in diameter, not realy shure why, years ago a speaker was replaced or repaired, you can see on the poly cone.
I add pictures from the kit.
Playing old CD´s this morning, great !!
Excellent condition.

thanks to you all,

Happy new Year.

One more on the Q1, the Dome Midrange become a bit dusty standing arround for quite some time, is there
a safe way to clean, if better no touch, no problem, I can leave with it.

Move on to the Amp.
As mentioned I`m running the Q1 with a Revox B251 ( 100W at 8ohm ), have to say the amp is not suitable for the Q1 and I want to get a better one.
Had a chat with a used gear dealer, he recomended a few amp`s he has in stock as a good match for Q1`s.

Bryston 4 B NRB

Krell KSA-250

Accuphase P-450

I was also looking at a NAD 2200 at a quite resonable price, however not recomendent at all by the guy

I know this could be an endless saga, any comment / recomendation would be great.

thanks

roland

Given the rare and fragile nature of the domes, I wouldn't try to clean them. Why take the risk?

Good amp choices! I'd get the 4B NRB or the KSA-250. The 300 watt Bryston gives great woofer control but the Krell has a more "effortless" sound and it doubles down to 500 watts at 4 ohms. The Accuphase, while "only" 200 watts, is the best looking of the bunch if that matters to you...

Are you going to use the Revox for a preamp? i would love to have a ksa 250 driving my QLS. Depending on your budget my vote would go to it. The other two would be nice too but the nad may run out of gas depending on what you listen to and how loud.

I will leave the domes as there are.

Yes, I was planning to use the B251 as preamp, but checking the circuit this will not work, the Monitor OUT is after the line IN selector but before the Volume or Tone controll, not sure what I was thinking. Thanks slimpikkins

Reading details on the amp short list, the KSA 250 is a hell of machine, I might struggle with house AC power line.

Attachments

• Block B251.png
    Block B251.png
    200.1 KB · Views: 10
what is the min. wattage for the QLS if the amp is a McIntosh ?
Some model rating is constant 200W on 2,4 and 8 Ohm.

You may want to post a question on the McIntosh forum on this site. The mc7200 is what I use but it is different than most Macs as it is a direct coupled transistor amp, around 300watts rms at 4ohm 882 peak at 1ohm. It's rare but the power guard lamps will light now and then. I would guess the auto former 200plus watt macs would have Drive the QLS nicely.
Jim

Infinity recommended a minimum of 100 watts. I'm using 400 with mine, the woofers sound better than with 200.

The Yamaha M-85/C-85 works well running the QLS-1.
More than enough power and barely breaks a sweat.
--- I bypassed the tweeter pots today with 1 ohm Mills resistors and am quite pleased with that resistance and improved highs.

QLS1 are an impressive speaker
that was the 2nd set of infinity speakers Ive owned
always regret moving on from them

Hi, had not much time recently, but I got a Aurelic Aries MINI and played some high res audio, I'm very very impressed, what will it be when I have the right AMP.

Back
Top Bottom