Workbench photos

How long did it take you to do the 901s?
Oh man those are tedious as hell. Probably 2hrs per speaker but it seemed longer, 18 little drivers felt like it was an all day project. What took the longest was cleaning and scraping the old Surrounds off the basket. I say this refoaming 901’s and recapping a Sansui QRX-9001 are about neck to neck In tediousness.

Oh man those are tedious as hell. Probably 2hrs per speaker but it seemed longer, 18 little drivers felt like it was an all day project. What took the longest was cleaning and scraping the old Surrounds off the basket. I say this refoaming 901’s and recapping a Sansui QRX-9001 are about neck to neck In tediousness.

For me it took 13 hours total. Airplane glue took half the time vs acrylic, so I sped up towards the end. Had to recenter a few drivers too. The owner remarked how he had spent north of 800 for the whole 901 V system. I guess that's how it is with these speakers....

IMG_0632.JPG
Received my new custom workbench , 36" x 72" with a 15" shelf in custom color. Ordered a tall uprights, so I can add another shelf later or a light or ? Might mount the bench speakers on them. Found a red chair at Costco, perfect. Started setting up the location of the equipment, (might change though) before wiring it up. Decided not to put the two high power supplies on the bench, just bring them out when needed. Mounted a 10 outlet server plug strip on the back frame that can be reached from underneath. Might order a OC Green LED magnifier lamp, does anyone have any input on lamps, don't want a Chinese made lamp, they don't hold up.

Just completed the new bench. It serves double duty as my electronics bench and when I clear it and roll it to the driveway, my wood shop :) Since it's brand new, I'm still "moving in" trying to work out how I'm going to organize around it. I've got 48 inch LED shop lights overhead that you dont see here.

Today and for some weeks, it's all about electronics

IMG_6215.jpg

More workshop than workbench photos, but I'm currently enclosing my workbench area. We downsized from 5 bedrooms to three, so my workbench got relegated to an unenclosed extension of the garage. It's far too hot or cold most of the year to use it, so I'm enclosing it in order to install AC and heat. Framed and drywalled the enclosing wall last weekend and did the tape and bedding this weekend. I'm going to sand and drag texture it today. The workbench itself is full of junk I had to pull off of shelved to move them around and get access for my wall. The last pic shows a stack of Marantz's and Duals ready for refurbishing when I get it completed. The shelf in the right hand side of the second pic is sitting in the middle of the floor, so the workbench is not as cramped as it looks.

IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_3122.jpg

64D4A104-5BA0-40A2-A87D-31E186A666A5.JPEG

Thats cool! What software are you using? I have looked at some but I get overwhelmed and never get back to it.

Tony

If more interest I can start a new post detailing how I built it.
Please do.

And the turntable is beautiful. I have one that turns, and extends out from the bench, but it sits a couple of inches about the bench. The way yours sits flush with the bench is I think easier in day-to-day work.

I got a few new things and rearranged items.
Rearranged: Moved monitor to the side,
New: Pegboard, Hakko FR-301 desoldering iron, Hakko FA-430 fume extractor, quadhands work holder

Love the fume extractor. I'm going to also add a neck to the nozzle to mount an LED lamp which will focus more light onto my soldering area.

I will make a post when I get more time on my audio testor using Analog Discovery 2.

20190430_151150.jpg

20190430_150402.jpg
20190430_150746.jpg

20190430_150911.jpg

It is my test box I built. It contains a Digilent analog discovery 2. It connects via USB to my computer where I have a software based distortion tester. I use the box to switch between speaker and load, and hook up the device under test.... If more interest I can start a new post detailing how I built it.
View attachment 1439394 View attachment 1439395

Here is what is in the box. 2 of the switches are not hooked up at the moment. The monitor l/r and the attenuate.
The Analog Discovery 2 has input and output ports, and a USB port to connect to a computer. There is software on the computer that I use for a signal generator and as an oscilloscope.
I have made it easy to connect the Device under test DUT to the computer which I have setup for testing and validation.

More details later....

20190409_115506.jpg

After enclosing my workshop - an extension of my garage - last fall, I knew it would be worthless in the hot Texas summer unless I could get some A/C in there. The outside walls are brick, and I didn't want to cut a hole big enough for a window unit. I priced a mini-split A/C with outside and inside units. It was $4k installed - more than I wanted to spend. After doing some research, I found this DIY mini-split system that a handy person can install themselves for $899 plus $49 shipping at Costco. It's called MrCool DIY. I formed and poured a slab for the outside unit (needs a notch in the middle for a drain tube when in heat pump mode). I cut a 3-1/2" hole in the wall and brick high in the room for the 25' umbilical with all of the hoses and wiring to connect inside and outside units. My space was small, so I got a 12,000 BTU that runs on 120V 20A breaker. For larger areas, they have up to 36,000 BTU. Everything over 12k is 240V. Anyway, what makes this thing DIY is that the inside unit and hoses are pre-evacuated and the outside unit is pre-charged. When you connect the lines, it is ready to run. Got it installed yesterday, and it keeps the workshop cool as a cucumber. It's also a heat pump,so it heats in the winter - although probably not enough for frigid climates - it has no auxilliary heat ( I think some larger units do). Both inside and outside units are very quiet. I went into detail, because this thing is such a great value, I thought someone else might need some cooling and want to save some money. Anyway, here are pics of the inside and outside units.

IMG_3660.jpg

IMG_3661.jpg

Back
Top Bottom