Worst Audio Component or Speaker Repair in Words and/or Pictures

The worst amp was the Bose 1800. Anything more than 35 watts continuous output and it would heat up and shut down. Harmonic distortion was terrible above 7 000 Hz. The worst manual TT was a Rek-o-kut from the 60's. Worst integrated amp was Scotts first SS unit with Germanium transistors. Bose 901's were on the Bad Boy list, too. I had a Ampex 351 come into the shop and some one had soldered all the connections to the PC boards and soldered all the traces on the Power supply board. The problem was two diodes that were shorted and one tube socket. Ever see a SME 3009 with a twisted tube. How about a Ortofon 212 tone arm with a kink in the middle. Or a MPI-4, where the box had been tampered with, all the stand off posts were broken, the trim posts compromised, the boards flopping around in side and the face plate cracked. Thanks UPS. Fortunately I called Ryan he sent a Call tag UPS red the unit was fixed and returned UPS red in 6 days. That was my unit and after 5 years its still operating like new. He still hasn't told me how much it cost UPS.

I thought tape was the proper foam replacement material. People I’ve sold my speakers have always been happy with the looks! It’s probably because I paint the tape to match the woofers. Cheap asses! Lol:rflmao:

I would have never thought to use duct tape to repair rotted speaker surrounds until I saw those pictures. I guess that duct tape can be used to repair almost anything.

Repair, or how about lack of repair?
I was gifted these horrible GEMINI PA speakers. Inspection of the midrange horn, I thought, "these horns are fake, what a POS."
However, looking in the cabinet I saw the mid-range driver broke off and was stuck to the woofer magnet. Looked like it had been that way for quite some time.
The funny thing is these speakers were in use with that configuration...I guess no one questioned the speakers performance...:dunno:
DSCF4283.jpg DSCF4282.jpg

Repair, or how about lack of repair?
I was gifted these horrible GEMINI PA speakers. Inspection of the midrange horn, I thought, "these horns are fake, what a POS."
However, looking in the cabinet I saw the mid-range driver stuck to the woofer magnet.
The funny thing is these speakers were in use with that configuration...I guess no one questioned the speakers performance...:dunno:
View attachment 1092259 View attachment 1092260
Look at all those screeching pizo tweets!

Look at all those screeching pizo tweets!
This was also odd. On each cabinet 3 were out and only one tweeter/screecher worked. I actually thought the other three in each cabinet were fake!
After some analysis I figured the last one in the chain on each side was the last to blow and that accounted for the odd finding.

Someone must have dropped that from the second floor to knock that horn driver off!

What a disaster from top to bottom. I mean before they dropped it. :beerchug:

This guy actually wrote up an Instructable on how he 'refoamed' his oval car speakers with green painter's tape...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-car-speakers-with-masking-tape/

Oh my. For some reason, the best part of this is that these speakers came out of a Pontiac Fiero.

Must have been this Fiero...

Fiero1013.jpg

index.php

Minimus 7's...oh, the humanity.
speaking of which, the 77's are/were popular and they are all bad by now, even the RCA take overs...but there is a guy on ebay selling foam that does fit, and its cheap. they are a pain to work on, and I found that if the inner edge of the foam is UNDER the cone, it works well. In the package you get: foam

you have to use your leftover simply-midwest speaker glue to do the job....

Someone must have a pic of a mint silverface receiver sporting the toggle-switch ON/OFF mod.
I actually did that to my Marantz 2250B after the pushbutton switch failed the second time. Back then the silver faced gear was ubiquitous and it wasn't cherished the way it is today.

Back
Top Bottom