Worst Audio Component or Speaker Repair in Words and/or Pictures

I've seen many times how plenty turns to scarcity then price increase. Glut always goes away about the time more enter any hobby and prices go nuts.
Got that right; I sold that fully functional 2250b for $40 back then and was happy to get it at the time. A few years afterwards though the prices skyrocketed.

1stpqg.jpg

qGWUXYd.jpg

Here's my current entry, which I refer to as my "Mist-O-Ree Mach -1s". Whether these were scratch-built, or if someone simply modified an existing pair of speakers with various Radio Shack-sourced parts (and a whole bunch of silicone caulk), I'm not entirely sure (though I suspect the latter). It appears that there was originally a different tweeter installed, at the least:
mysteryspeakers1.jpg

mysteryspeakers2.jpg

mysteryspeakers3.jpg

mysteryspeakers4.jpg

They sound surprisingly decent for what they are. The control on the front helps tame the supertweeter to some extent. :rolleyes:

I'm also guilty of the toggle switch replacement. :oops: In my case, it was a Philips 212 turntable owned by a friend's dad. The innards of the original switch disintegrated, as with so many others, and he didn't care about replacing it with a similar switch. I picked out a toggle switch I had handy, installed it through the existing hole, and wired it as the original was. I believe I stowed the original switch inside the base, at the very least. I now have a similarly-afflicted 312 of my own, which I'm planning to repair correctly if possible.
-Adam

Not hifi, but anyways, a while back a friend asked me if I could help fix some lights on an art work. "Sure" I said. Turn up with tools, a small soldering iron and an open mind. Some bad connctions that I soldered together in about 10 minutes. While soldering I noticed some thick resin like stuff on the connetions. Turns out, in an attempt to fix it himself he had tried superglue. Didn't work surprisingly.

I performed my own abomination...
I had a Marantz 1200 with a bad relay coil. I couldn't find the right replacement so I drilled a tiny hole through the relay case and tied a piece of fishing line to the contacts, then laced the line around some stuff and out the perforated top. I tied the fishing line to some magnets, so when I turned it on, I gave it a pause, and then pulled the line to "make" the contacts and set the magnet. I had it that way for 2 years until I found the right relay. It worked.

Last week, I picked up a pair of Bose 501 speakers from a gentleman who has a hobby of estate cleanouts.
He stated the owner of the 501's passed away about 2 years ago.
I mentioned to him that the woofers will need to be refoamed if they are original and that it is a pain in the butt to remove the grill covers on the 501's....but he did say that the widow told him that her husband "fixed" the speakers when they were going bad.

Yesterday, when I removed the grill cover.....this is what I found.

View attachment 1092001

Was his name Red Green?

I just picked these up the other day.
The 82 year old gentleman who bought them brand new told me he "fixed" the rotting foam on the speakers.

View attachment 1221761

View attachment 1221764

I'm just stupefied by how peoples minds work! How can anyone think that duct tape or even spray foam for that fact would repair a speaker surround?
Don't they even think it's going to reduce the out put? But, I reckon that's what the volume knob is for...........right? nose-pick.gif

I had no idea that there were so many duct tape fanatics in audio repair. Guess they were fans of this musical masterpiece ...

Back
Top Bottom