Worth working on a JVC TD W106 w issues?

Pear52

I know this is a low end deck. I saw it at Goodwill and it was pretty clean. The play functions worked so I bought it, $10. It is a dual deck and on one side the rewind does not work, on the other, the FF does not work. In both cases, it tries to work and the motor and belts move, but the button kicks out in about 1/2 sec. I can see at least some of the belts are in rough shape. The counter moves on play but otherwise does not seem to move.

My intention was to replace the belts and hope that it worked. I have no tape deck in my system now, and this would just be something to have if I wanted to play one of my old tapes. I am not expecting that much out of it for fidelity, but I also do not want to put much in it as its value is not there.

Is is likely that new belts would make it function? I just don't want to get started going down the rabbit hole of repairs on such a low end deck. Part of the reason I even bought it was in the store, I saw a comment by another AK member with essentially the same deck that loved it, saying it was a little workhorse.

Well, I received no response on this question. Maybe just too cheap of deck to be interesting. I did find a you tube video of a similar deck where the guy, maneuvered some new belts in the TD W103 which is very similar. I bought a pack of generic cassette belts on Amazon and went to work. Another person had commented that this you tube video made it seem easy and it was not. I decided to push ahead as it was only $10. Well, at first I began to wonder if it was possible. I used a crochet hook and a litte L hook tool from Harbor Freight for the most part. As with many tasks, once I figure it out, with a little bit of sweat on my brow, it was not too bad. The only glitch was one of the four drive belts had a lead going thorough it to a switch on the front panel, Really nice. I decided not to replace that belt, and come back to it if the other three did not fix the issues. I could always cut the line and splice it back together. See the red and brown wire in the pic as it comes to the front panel.

Well the three belts made this thing hum again. It works like a champ and it will not have to go in the scrap pile.
IMG_1933.JPG IMG_1934.jpg

Nice save!!! I have a JVC deck that (I believe) just needs some belts. Might just give it a try. Thx for the inspiration.

Well, I received no response on this question. Maybe just too cheap of deck to be interesting. I did find a you tube video of a similar deck where the guy, maneuvered some new belts in the TD W103 which is very similar. I bought a pack of generic cassette belts on Amazon and went to work. Another person had commented that this you tube video made it seem easy and it was not. I decided to push ahead as it was only $10. Well, at first I began to wonder if it was possible. I used a crochet hook and a litte L hook tool from Harbor Freight for the most part. As with many tasks, once I figure it out, with a little bit of sweat on my brow, it was not too bad. The only glitch was one of the four drive belts had a lead going thorough it to a switch on the front panel, Really nice. I decided not to replace that belt, and come back to it if the other three did not fix the issues. I could always cut the line and splice it back together. See the red and brown wire in the pic as it comes to the front panel.

Well the three belts made this thing hum again. It works like a champ and it will not have to go in the scrap pile.
View attachment 1418313 View attachment 1418314
Thanks for the information. I have the same exact deck and I want to repair it. It will not FFW or RWD on either side. I looked inside and two of the belts are actually missing. Where did you get your generic deck belts? How do you know which one to use on the deck?

I just ordered a bag of generic cassette drive belts, Amazon I think. Nothing special. I of course could match mine up to ones that were just a bit tighter or more resilient. Not having a belt in place will make it tougher, but you should be able to do it.

I just ordered a bag of generic cassette drive belts, Amazon I think. Nothing special. I of course could match mine up to ones that were just a bit tighter or more resilient. Not having a belt in place will make it tougher, but you should be able to do it.
Thank you!

Did you order round or square belts?

Back
Top Bottom