Would You Buy the New Def Lepp Vinyl Box if You Own Rock of Ages?

AnzacSonata

As a pretty hardcore fan of the band since they were introduced via On Through the Night (well, commercially anyway), I was smitten when a member here posted in one of the vinyl threads that he had picked up the new Def Leppard vinyl box set (first volume) which collects what are arguably the band's best albums, On Through the Night, High n Dry, Pyromania and Hysteria. I was wondering if I should pick this set up, being that I already own the Rock of Ages: Definitive Anthology two-disc CD set and which contains pretty much every essential track from the band in beautifully remastered sound; I do own all four LPs of the first four albums, but they're in original US issue versions and don't really sound all that great (especially my copy of Hysteria, which is way too compressed due to the length of music stuffed onto one record and which exhibits nasty skips I can't get rid of).

The box set is supposed to present these four albums on 180-gram virgin vinyl, but I've been burned before with this kind of marketing rhetoric (Journey's Greatest Hits, for example, was reissued by Sony Legacy on two 180-gram LPs that were supposed to be "specially remastered FOR vinyl" but ended up sounding somewhat worse than the original LP in certain spots)...so I was wondering if this set is worth picking up (it's also available as a CD collection) being that I already own the greatest hits package via Rock of Ages...

What do you guys think?

I’ve always liked the first two, even saw them in the High N Dry tour in ‘81. It took a long time for the third record and I was immediately disappointed when it came out. Never did warm up to it or anything afterwards but if you’re a fan I say buy it. I still play the first two records fairly regularly.

I’ve always liked the first two, even saw them in the High N Dry tour in ‘81. It took a long time for the third record and I was immediately disappointed when it came out. Never did warm up to it or anything afterwards but if you’re a fan I say buy it. I still play the first two records fairly regularly.

Thanks Prisoners,

I actually do like the first four albums which are included in this "volume one" box set, but lost interest in the band save for a few ballads after that (so I wouldn't be picking up volume two). My biggest dilemma is whether the greatest hits CD package is "enough" that I don't need to spend on the vinyl box set (as I can't imagine the records sounding better than the remastered tracks on the Rock of Ages compilation -- though I don't care for the way they did the track ordering on the greatest hits set).

Back
Top Bottom