Wow!!! McIntosh Mac 4200…

Gcman123

This receiver is great, really nice looking as well; I would say N/Mint condition. :D I Haven’t tried phono yet as I no longer own records, perhaps will get back into records again. My Revox A77 IV sounds so sweet, better than ever. Both AM and FM are awesome as well as CD’s. Only thing that doesn’t seem to work is the MUTE button. Also the Presets don’t hold for long, probably battery either needs replaced or just recharged.

Question, how difficult to replace battery if needed? Wondering if anyone knows how many of these were made?

IMG_8746.JPG

1,189 of these units were built.

According to the owner's manual, the presets are maintained by a rechargeable battery. This battery is charged when the unit is on. They mention to leave the unit on for 24 hours to fully charge the battery. Thereafter, any time the unit is on, the battery is being charged and will maintain the presets for 6 months.

Larry

I have one and love it too! for some reason everyone goes for the 4100. Maybe the silver face for looks.The 4200 is more powerful and better specs. Better looking IMO.Congrats!

NICE. Been seriously considering a 4200 to run as a tuner and add xtra inputs to our system Better choice IMHO than a expensive standalone tuner. Congrats.

I have one and love it too! for some reason everyone goes for the 4100. Maybe the silver face for looks.The 4200 is more powerful and better specs. Better looking IMO.Congrats!
My thoughts exactly, I was looking for either a MAC 4100 or a 4300v when I found this. The more I read about it, the more I liked it. I’m sure all McIntosh receivers are great, but I’m very happy with this one. Also cool it’s not very commonly found.

MAC4200 is the lowest production McIntosh receiver with the MAC1500 a close second. Amplifier power is rated the same as the MAC4100.

50% price increase over the MAC4100 probably didn't help sales plus the fact it didn't have remote, which the consumer was beginning to expect at the MAC4200's lofty price of $2,890 back in 85-87.

The succeeding MAC4300 did have remote control, a more powerful amplifier section while carrying a price that was basically unchanged. The result was dramatically increased MAC4300s sales vs the MAC4200.

Nice to see a 4200 shown here.

Last edited:
Wondering where one finds production stats for McIntosh units? Use Rodger Russell’s site, but haven’t found production stats yet.

The unit was a year and a half late, the built in momentum we had created to sell McIntosh receivers was broken, and was not different enough to cause the trade ins of MAC4100s that would have happened if it had the features of the MAC4300.

I would talk to Maurice Painchaud monthly, pestering him about the sloooooow progress they were making to get the new digital tuner designed since they chose not to reuse the MR500 design already on the books.

I related in the past my phone conversation when he first determined the dealer cost and subsequent retail pricing.

The momentum however was lost and I do believe Mac's receiver efforts have been unsuccessful dealer backbone products ever since.

Also make sure you have your local tech check out the battery pack. The nicads will leak and destroy the original battery holder. I have my local Batteries+ plus make up a replacement pack and zip tie it in place.

This applies to most of their digital tuners.

The black coloring overlay on the aluminum faceplate of the 4200 doesn't age well. The faceplate edges (especially by the wood side trim panels) usually discolor/fade from black to dark purple. Silver faceplate cosmetics of a 4100 age better.

Wow, congrats. I'm a receiver guy and the McIntosh receivers will be next on my hit list. Normally I don't like black receivers but this one is an exception. Also the European Pioneer one. Looking good and congrats.

Also make sure you have your local tech check out the battery pack. The nicads will leak and destroy the original battery holder. I have my local Batteries+ plus make up a replacement pack and zip tie it in place.

This applies to most of their digital tuners.
Thanks, are these standard AA NiCad batteries? My presets don't hold overnight, so need to replace. Are they easy to replace if holder is OK? Any help appreciated.

Wow, congrats. I'm a receiver guy and the McIntosh receivers will be next on my hit list. Normally I don't like black receivers but this one is an exception. Also the European Pioneer one. Looking good and congrats.
Agree, I normally prefer Silver faceplates as well, but I really like the looks of this one and the performance is amazing in my opinion. Good luck on your search.

Welcome to the club! I haven't noticed any discoloration on my 4300V's front panel.

As I've mentioned in the forum before, what I appreciate most about the Mac receivers is the ability to feed a power amp from the pre-amp out jumper jacks and STILL be able to use the receiver to power additional sets of speakers with its amplifier section.

Only the MAC4200 and newer models can do that.

To my knowledge, 4100, 4200 and 4300 are also the only receivers ever made that can run up to 3 speakers simultaneously (down to 2 ohms total).

Discoloration of black tends to occur over time when placed so that front panel is in direct sunlight.

While indicated in the schematic as BT1,2 and 3, connected to the tuning control board #10, there is no other indication what type of battery holder is used......most often that indicates it would be self indicated part to the tech.

Only the MAC4200 and newer models can do that.

Although it's possible with older receivers as well if you replace the preamp/amp jumpers with a "Y" cable. I did this for awhile with a MAC1900. Makes for a very flexible setup.

Back
Top Bottom