Wrecked Cual CS5000

South3rn

Bot it on the bay.
Guy has perfect record.

But he shipped TT without first removing platter.
Platter came loose naturally, and scratched and gouged Acrylic Dust Cover.....which had been in excellent shape. And apparently even messed up the electronics "quartz Lock" board.

Put the belt back on it.....threaded the belt over the motor pulley and tried it.
No dice.

Power lite comes on. Speed lites work.
But motor doesn't turn.

The guy is dragging his feet IMO and hasn't offered me any solution.
Not that there is one.
I paid top dollar for a pristine table and now it is more than junk, but is not worth anything to me.

Has anybody ever done resolution through the Bay?
Any tips?

What I want? I'll ship unit back at my expense....but I want my money back.

Edit: Can't edit Misspelled title. Interesting.

Contact Ebay. You should be covered 100%. Save the original listing pictures if you can as proof.

Sorry.

Thanks,
John.:music::D

Last edited:
These eBay people have probably wrecked 50% of the working vintage tables out there, no exaggeration. Freakin' shame when you think about it! Makes me sick.

I wish you luck. I dealt with a seller who refused to refund after I received a table completely smashed the same way. eBay / PayPal wanted a signed statement from a tech stating the condition of the table, etc... Pain in the butt.... I ended up taking the loss and buying a new Technics 1200. This was the second shipping disaster in a row after offering friendly shipping advice that was completely ignored. Buying a table on eBay is VERY risky.

You shouldn't have to do anything at your expense. The table was either improperly packed... or I believe some of these are actually a scam where an already broken turntable is intentionally poorly packed to blame shipping and see if you let it drop. Not your problem at all. But, since eBay and PayPal suck...

Last edited:
These eBay people have probably wrecked 50% of the working vintage tables out there, no exaggeration. Freakin' shame when you think about it! Makes me sick.

I wish you luck. I dealt with a seller who refused to refund after I received a table completely smashed the same way. eBay / PayPal wanted a signed statement from a tech stating the condition of the table, etc... Pain in the butt.... I ended up taking the loss and buying a new Technics 1200. This was the second shipping disaster in a row after offering friendly shipping advice that was completely ignored. Buying a table on eBay is VERY risky.

You shouldn't have to do anything at your expense. The table was either improperly packed... or I believe some of these are actually a scam where an already broken turntable is intentionally poorly packed to blame shipping and see if you let it drop. Not your problem at all. But, since eBay and PayPal suck...

I am going thru one right now with eBay Protection. Monday is my next step on eBay to take care of this. Seller has not contacted my for 2 weeks. This was for a Sony PS-X75. People DO NOT know how to pack!!!

Good Luck and let's see how the process works with eBay.

Good luck, I have not had satisfactory resolutions of issues through Paypal and Ebay. You must follow their procedures exactly, they'll use any excuse to avoid doing anything for you. (in fact, I'll no longer use either of them, unless I absolutely have to)

I feel for you, is it too far gone to send to Bill at fixmydual?

Thanks for the suggestions. And the sympathy.

Nothing very optimistic, but I expected that.

fixmydual will be in the back of my head if it ends up with me owning this TT, But he doesn't list the 5000 in his repertoire.

I had a non-shipped purchase issue with e-Bay and got full-refund resolution recently.

Well, Good news!
I opened a case with eBay about a week ago, but didn't have to escalate.

The guy waited until I sent him a message today, telling him I was going to escalate and he remitted the full refund, $410, to Pay Pal within minutes of that. Coincidence?
I don't know.
I Had the feeling all along that this was a good guy......who was just clueless about packing a TT. Then again, we are all ignorant and have to learn virtually everything.
I am always trying to find the good in people. Maybe I'm just trying to make up for 40 or 50 years of skepticism..... LOL.

I doubt that he will ever sell another TT.

I just bot a TT from AK member Dean Fuller, and Dean has the original packing.....along with a ton of knowledge.

EDIT: Boy it bothers me not being able to correct the Misspelling in the title. Not the forum's fault tho. It is the software that the Forum runs on.....Vbulletin.
I am very optimistic.

Last edited:
"You paid $410 for a Dual CS5000 seems high to me....."

If one is willing to pick one up off CL (which may be stolen) or from the SA or if you just want to wait until providence drops one in your lap......I'm sure it is.

But it's the market value. I would call it Fair Market value.
There is a refurbished one on Bay right now for 525 and if you buy one from a legitimate refurbisher here on AK, you will pay more than that.

Why is that?

Well, we know that the record companies are producing more vinyl...
Who is buying that vinyl?
New, or reconstituted buyers, that's who......

What are they buying?
Well, Pro-ject and Music hall and Rega....are all doing pretty good.
Thorens is doing well, I would bet.
Even Audio Techna and Ion are probably doing good.

But some of the resurgence is hitting the Vintage equipment too.
I stand as an example.

In the end, it is supply and demand.
So........some of your stuff is going up in value as you play it......!
Ain't it great?

Btw, My new Dual................ is a VPI Scout. It's Cual!

Don't have it yet. Maybe 2 or 3 weeks.
Going on a driving trip to the great Northeast (from Ft Myers to Wilkes Barre and Asbury Park) and Dean will ship it once I give him the word.

Back
Top Bottom