Xiang Sheng DAC-01A..... Any good?

Are you looking at the listing from "thanksbuyer"? (it's here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/282124718398)

I only ask because that's who I bought mine from, and only after a number of messages did they even add the note that states that the item doesn't actually ship with the XMOS chip (I wrote the note for them, because it seemed like a start). I've advised them to create new listings for the regular (Tenor TE7022L USB chip) and upgraded (XMOS U8 USB chip), but so far, they haven't.

I will say that the regular version (which is what they sent) sounds great in my office system, but I AM left wondering what the upgraded version sounds like! I just wanted you to know which version you're actually getting. If it's 140 bucks, it's probably not the upgraded one! Good luck!

-Carl
Yeah, they caught me out too. When I opened it up to change the tube.... No XMOS chip to be found. Luckily I'm not actually using the USB input, just RCA, coaxial and SPDIF

Yeah, I was a little frustrated, but I'm mostly over it. I should have noticed when I plugged it into the computer (it said something about a 7022L), but I REALLY noticed when I opened it (broke the little warranty seals) to swap the jumpers to use it as a preamp and to change the tube. The only inputs I'm using right now are the USB and analog inputs (I've got a little Ztuner hooked up), and it sounds pretty great in the office. Nerdy pics are here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ppamjbndl8jt4v1/AAB5lY9dLAEJP5s4XPxd4MNwa?dl=0

All things considered, I'd buy another one.... but it would be nice to know which one before buying!

The Tenor TE7022L is an older, cheap, poor sounding, USB adapter that doesn't work properly with 44.1kHz sample rates and doesn't work at all with 88.2. It was designed to work with multiple of 48kHz.

The Tenor TE7022L is an older, cheap, poor sounding, USB adapter that doesn't work properly with 44.1kHz sample rates and doesn't work at all with 88.2. It was designed to work with multiple of 48kHz.

All that said... I'm still pretty happy with it. I'm blessed with tin ears! :D

HI All,

the DAC arrived today. Can confirm daughterboard with XMOS chip. Now to find out how switch the bloody jumpers....

D

Hi, works really well. You'll need the USB 2.0 drivers to make it work if you want to use the USB port and it has some idosyncracies, but it sounds great. Headphone amp is a bit noisy though. I am using it as a DAC/Headphone amp and have it a nice and quiet passive pre-amp. Very happy, and cost/benefit ration amazing.

Back
Top Bottom