Yamaha A-1 Repair and restore: beyond Deoxit

are these choices for replacements ok? specially for the TIP41F im not sure if the choice is sutable.

TR-133: 2SC1913 -> TIP41F
TR134 same
TR135 : 2SA913 -> MJE15033
TR136: same
TR137: 2SC1213A - > kSC2383

S5151 -> no idea, no info i think these are toshiba parts
S5151R -> no idea
1S1555 -> 1N4148

I would like to replace all of these and would appreciate suggestions. all for the A-1 power supply.

Why do you try to replace everything ? and why looking for TR differents from original type ? Because you don't know where to buy original TR or specific diodes ?

Why replacing things if they are working ?

the power supply board:

VDOaF0p.jpg

glue gone and the two transistors will be replaced tomorrow.

the green BP cap is in place of a 100 mf 16 volt cap which was not BP. is that a problem?

ill also do the 0.1 mf metal film caps when they arrive from china.

edit: in the picture there is a little residue glue left but since the picture was taken, ive cleaned it up more and now other than under the carbon resistors, there is none left that i can see.

Last edited:
Most likely not going to be a problem.

In PS's. I use Nichicon EP or VP hi-temp bipolars where needed.
i took the nichicon muse BP 16v 85 degrees out and used a 50v 105 degrees instead. same value but 50v is all i have.

I used TIP41 for 476A
and TIP42 for 566A

there has got to be a mistake there. maybe i need to swap the two?

Last edited:
Sorry but why did you replace them if original are working ??

no it was not working and i coudnt figure it out. also you didnt post the pictures so that i can take the board out and send it to a professional like you to be repaired so i decided to replace all components that i can in the power supply and see how it turns out. i basically tried to follow the steps of mr., yamaha and repalce almost all compoents that he replaced iun his restoration project of 2010. now i am in deep ooooh la la but ill figure it out.

upon further inspection, it looks to me like around the emitter of tip 42 the conductor ring around the leg is gone so that it doesn't make a connection. what is there to do in this situation? i only noticed it because realized that the solder joint looks suspect and when tried to reflow i saw that the solder does not stick. removed it and see that there does not seem to be any copper/trace there.

yes it was gone. i scraped off a bot of the pcb to expose some copper and connected it with solder. now i have continuity.

Some of those old boards are getting to the point where desoldering damages the solder pads.

Back
Top Bottom