Yamaha CDX-1120 On The Way

Great machine, love mine though it does not get used anymore. Let us know what you think of it.

Very nice buy and an absolute steal at that price :thmbsp:
BTW,just had to look up it's weight. It clocks in at 12 kg... not too bad :D

Well bought sir, well bought. :thmbsp:

Thanks. My max bid is laughable now. Glad I didn't get sniped or shilled.

Very nice buy and an absolute steal at that price :thmbsp:
BTW,just had to look up it's weight. It clocks in at 12 kg... not too bad :D

The last two CDX-1120's had issues and sold for 232.49 (does not read) and 275.00 (with box, stuck tray, untested). Mine is represented as working.

Can't wait to try it against my CDX-1100U which has only two Burr-Brown PCM58 converters. The CDX-1120 has four!:banana:

Both the 1100U and 1120 develop issues with extreme sensitivity and mistracking. Yamaha used to supply us an entire tray/laser/tracking mechanism for those units. I still have a box of them someplace.

The other issue, less common is the VFD fading out.

I've got a few 1100Us in my storeroom, one with a dodgy VFD.

Nice buy Sam.

By 1989 the TOTL CD players from Yamaha, Sony, Denon, etc. were very good sounding machines.

Both the 1100U and 1120 develop issues with extreme sensitivity and mistracking. Yamaha used to supply us an entire tray/laser/tracking mechanism for those units. I still have a box of them someplace.

The other issue, less common is the VFD fading out.

I've got a few 1100Us in my storeroom, one with a dodgy VFD.

1100U is MLP-7. Agree, it is a finnicky machine. My example is a frankenstein. The laser/tray assembly came from one with logic problems and the second example had tracking problems.

The 1120 is TAOHS-HG1 which looks different in the pics I have seen. Hopefully mine is in good nick. Not too worried as ebay will be my friend in case of problem.

I agree. What are your plans for it?

The CDX-1120 will join my modest collection of TOTL CDP's which so far includes Sony CDP-XA7ES, Pioneer PD-93, and CDX-1100U (on thin ice now). There are a few other affordable and interesting top CDP's to be found on the Dutch Audio Classics list of DAC's. I may add a Technics SL-P1300 next.

Can't wait to try it against my CDX-1100U which has only two Burr-Brown PCM58 converters. The CDX-1120 has four!:banana:

That should be interesting. Here is what I remember: when the 1100 came out we were blown away at how "analog" it sounded for a non Meridian CD player. After a while we realized it was probably went too far and was almost mushy sounding. I bet you will find the 1120 to be more precise and have better definition, but I am anxious to hear what you think.

That should be interesting. Here is what I remember: when the 1100 came out we were blown away at how "analog" it sounded for a non Meridian CD player. After a while we realized it was probably went too far and was almost mushy sounding. I bet you will find the 1120 to be more precise and have better definition, but I am anxious to hear what you think.

Here is Raynald's review from 5 1/2 years ago!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=240039

I've got a tracking number for mine. It should arrive Tuesday.

The CDX-1120 has arrived. Cosmetic condition is very good. Halfway through my first CD and working well. Fast to read and fast to cue. No remote but my Rat Shack 8-in-1 has a code. Fine with me, Yamaha CD players and remotes have the worst controls, IMO.

Have to agree with Raynald, the resolution is outstanding. From memory, it is sharper than the 1100U. It is somewhat like my Sony CDP-XA7ES and less analog sounding than my Pioneer CD-93. It will be fun to hear where the 1120 places.

Hard to believe how under-appreciated (by the market) the CDX-1120 is. At this price, a backup unit is in my future.

IMG_3150.JPG IMG_3146.JPG IMG_3144.JPG IMG_3142.JPG

Bought a CDX-1120 from a seller in Canada (nice guy - was extremely honest in his description of the state of the player and an excellent packer - highly recommended. Search retro audio on Canuck audio mart).
The only thing wrong with the player was that the LCD display was completely dark on the right side and was dim on the left side. I found this eBay vendor who is selling the CDX-1120 lamps (doubt they are OEM) from Germany. Cost me only $16 including shipping.
Was very easy to open up the top cover of CDX-1120. No further dismantling was needed since the bulbs pulled out very easily from the rubber rings that were holding them (see the pictures). I just cut the older bulbs out and soldered the new ones - less than half an hour job and the display looks great as you can see!
While I was there I also cleaned the lens using a microfiber cloth doused with a nonalcoholic tape head cleaner(American Recorder). Now the player sounds great with new CDs. I have yet to try an old CD with scratches to see if it reads without skips; I tried all new CDs and there is absolutely no skipping. Very impressed with the sound channeled through a Sansui 1000a receiver and Sansui SP-2000 speakers.

Last edited:
Yamaha equipment is pretty easy to work on. I remember i had to replace a bulb on a 90's yamaha receiver. I remeber it was like how you described with the cd player. I put green bulbs in mine for fun. Sounds like you got a good deal and an exceptional sounding cd player too boot

Yamaha equipment is pretty easy to work on. I remember i had to replace a bulb on a 90's yamaha receiver. I remeber it was like how you described with the cd player. I put green bulbs in mine for fun. Sounds like you got a good deal and an exceptional sounding cd player too boot
Thanks. Yes, due to the display problem the seller's price was way below competition!

I have been the proud owner of an 1110u for about 7 years now and it is a great reference player. It is hard to believe they sell that cheap nowadays

Back
Top Bottom