Yamaha CR-1000 vs Marantz 2270 CR-xx00 vs 22xx

sssboa

I know people are saying Marantz sounds warmer, but I have Yamaha CR-1000 and it is quite warm comparing to modern gear or Yamaha CA-1010 that I also have.
I am thinking about buying Marantz 2270 but maybe I can achieve the same sound just playing with the loudness slider of Yamaha CR-1000? I think whole Yamaha CR-xx00 like CR-800 is quite warm sounding.
But I am tempted as Marantz has such big following, though maybe it's due to the "Tokyo at night" fancy blue lighting?
I wonder if someone that really likes the sound of CR-xx00 (not the later CR-xx10) series also tried Marantz 22xx and how did it go? Especially CR-1000 vs 2270 or maybe CR-800 vs 2260/2250?

I also wonder if the volume potentiometer of Marantz 2270 that is even older than Yamaha CR-1000 has the same issue with only 1 channel playing at very low volumes. I know that it is a characteristic of potentiometers from that era of the early 70s.

So a little update now as I have 2x CR-1000 and 2x 2270, all recapped
For a quick comparison:
  • The old saying that Yamaha is more neutral, Marantz warmer does not apply with CR-1000. Both receivers are on the warm side.
  • CR-1000 is much more powerful and louder.
  • CR-1000 has crispier, tighter sound overall with deeper bass too. It gives a feeling that if made by the same brand CR-1000 would be sold as a premium model to the mellow 2270.
  • CR-1000 has higher quality of pcbs and sturdier build without any plastic on glue parts or traces on pcbs coming off.
  • CR-1000 has easier access for service of pcbs and components are easier to remove
  • 2270 is easier to set up for listening at low volumes
  • 2270 generates less heat
  • CR-1000 is half price of 2270 on the vintage market
  • 2270 is a very good amp, I will keep both

For a quick comparison:
  • The old saying that Yamaha is more neutral, Marantz warmer does not apply with CR-1000. Both receivers are on the warm side.
  • CR-1000 has crispier, tighter sound overall with deeper bass too. It gives a feeling that if made by the same brand CR-1000 would be sold as a premium model to the mellow 2270.
  • CR-1000 has higher quality of pcbs and sturdier build without any plastic on glue parts or traces on pcbs coming off.
  • CR-1000 has easier access for service of pcbs and components are easier to remove
I changed speakers from budget Tannoy V4 to Tannoy Revolution XT and Marantz gained quality bass and much warmer presence to the point that I may have to use tone controls to cool it down. I don't need to use loudness button even at very low volumes.
Yamaha meanwhile has not changed significantly at low end with better speakers.

Last edited:
CR-1000 is half price of 2270 on the vintage market

Thank you for sharing your findings, once again shows that the Marantz ''tax'' equates to little. I would like to try an earlier Yamaha like yours, as you say the later CA's are not warm in the slightest.

For a quick comparison:
I would add to the comparison that:
  • 2270 produces hum/buzz from transformer that can be heard by me with the metal case on at very low volumes within around 1.5 meters from my ear especially at night. If you notice it once your ear seeks that buzz unfortunately until you forget about it :) Maybe the wooden case for 2270 would solve the problem. But it's not as bad as with some today's Blu-ray players or even tvs I had recently. CR-1000 has a quieter transformer that I cannot hear with the case on. Checked on two 2270s and three CR-1000s.

Interesting comparison, thanks. I'm tempted to switch to separates or maybe a Sansui AU919 or better, don't suppose you have a Sansui there as well...

I changed speakers from budget Tannoy V4 to Tannoy Revolution XT and Marantz gained quality bass and much warmer presence to the point that I may have to use tone controls to cool it down. I don't need to use loudness button even at very low volumes.
Yamaha meanwhile has not changed significantly at low end with better speakers.
Both sound real crappy on my cheap ass computer speakers.

I presented both receivers to some friends, not audiophiles or vintage heads and they all confirmed my findings.
They used "clearer/cleaner sounding" term about CR-1000 and "a bit muffled" about 2270 (I think it's that extended middle bass of 2270 that veils the whole sound). They noticed that bass of CR-1000 goes deeper. They were harsher judges than me as I want to justify keeping 2270.

Also one was owner of Arcam A29 that he had bought new for £799 just 2 weeks earlier and he said 2270 sounded very similar to his Arcam. And now I have only two CR-1000s cause he bought one from me and is selling his Arcam after comparing CR-1000 to Arcam A29 for a week at his place.
Oh, how I love happy endings :beerchug:

Meanwhile I am thinking of getting myself Marantz 2275 to replace 2270. It's supposed to be less warm.

Last edited:
I've owned a pristine 2275 (which I loved) and currently run a museum grade CR1020 (which I will die with). The Marantz was pushing Large walnut Advents which was big, warm and glorious sound. The Yamaha pushes ADS 570/2's and the sound is warm detailed and beautiful. No winner or loser here just slightly different, the decider for me was simply the classy elegance of the Yamaha CR1020, you can't go wrong either way, my 2 cents...

Back
Top Bottom