Yamaha CR-600 crackle / distortion on phono inputs

Angus Green

Hi there,

My inherited Yamaha CR-600 has recently developed an issue where there's massive crackle / distortion on the right-channel of phono input - without anything being connected. The left-phono channel is fine. And both phono inputs are affected in the same way.

All other inputs (aux, tape) and the tuner are okay.

Working through the schematic my guess is that the most likely cause is a problem with the right-channel on the EQ board...

...but I've no idea how to prove that or locating / rectifying the fault.

Any help / advice greatly appreciated.

Angus

Checklist:

1. Deoxit the PHONO in jacks, all the pots, and the selector switch
2. Visually look for bad solder joints or broken wires *just barely* touching
3. Noisy small signal transistor in the phono stage. Does the CR-600 have any 2SC458 transistors in that circuit?

Working through the schematic my guess is that the most likely cause is a problem with the right-channel on the EQ board...
The "Function switch" needs to be removed , disassembled and cleaned. Then reassembled and reinstalled. Bada bing !

You will never get it right trying to spray cleaner(deoxit) into openings on these type switches. Just the way the switch is made. The actual slide contacts fit into plastic pockets that very drastically reduce the remote chance of any deoxit even touching one slide.Let alone the 3 or 5 other slides within the assembly.

Last edited:
On the brighter side.:).Welcome to AK btw..:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi Doug and Avionic, thanks for your help and support.

I initially thought the issue was with the electrolytic capacitors on the EQ SHEET (phono board) but, whilst replacing them, I blew up a 22R "Fusistor" on the Power Board. Fortunately thread https://goo.gl/4RhmV3 got me out for that corner, only to find that the problem remained.

Taking Doug's advice I blasted the "function switch" with some contact cleaner (WD40) and hey presto the problem seemed to go away – but not entirely.

So I'm now into removing, disassembling and cleaning the selector switch...

Wish me luck!

Angus

Now that you know what it looks like inside. Those plastic pockets makes it darn near impossible to spray anything into the switch and get it where it will do the most good.

Having just come by a Technics SL1500, I excitedly hooked it up to my c600 and ran into exactly this problem! Gutted.
Very pleased to have found this thread and can't wait for that Bada Bing moment. I've got my deoxit to hand, only problem is, I've got no idea how to disassemble the switch. Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers, Ed

Reviving an old thread because I'm having this exact problem on my CR-600.

At first I thought it was my turntable, but my receiver makes noise on Phono 1 (where my turntable is connected) and Phono 2 (with nothing connected).
So the trick is to disassemble and clean the "Function" selecter? Any pics?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom