Yamaha CR-600 Noise in one channel phono

Raccoon1400

I'm working on a yamaha CR-600 that has a loud noise in one channel of both phono 1 and 2. It goes up with volume, and it goes away if I short the input jack, or the input to the phono board. This would seem to rule out the phono board, and suggest it is something between the input and the board. Cleaning the switch has no effect. This doesn't seem to leave much. It sound a lot like a noisy transistor. Any ideas?

IC401 or 402 ? If those 1µf/35v coupling caps in the EQ circuit board are tantalums. They go from a cap to a resistor when they shit the bed.

Last edited:
That unit is loaded with the noisiest transistors ever (2sc458) In the pre-amp section there are all over TR501-TR511. But these transistors are all past the volume control, and with the noise increasing as you increase volume says that the noise originates before, which is the phono preamp. You can check the connection on the jacks in the back to make sure you don't have a cracked connection or broken ground somewhere by the phono jacks in the back panel, but most probable is that the Phono preamp ic is noisy (TA7122P). While the phono input and outputs go through that function switch, I shouldn't create noise, unless there is a broken connection somewhere, and even that shouldnt create noise. Hum maybe but not noise.

IC401 or 402 ? If those 1µf/35v caps in the EQ circuit board are tantalums. They go from a cap to a resistor when they shit the bed.
I've recapped the phono board. Also the noise goes away when I disconnect the input to the board. Would that not rule out anything on the board?

I've recapped the phono board. Also the noise goes away when I disconnect the input to the board. Would that not rule out anything on the board?
Yes . Look the phono input board over for cracked solder connections,broken solder pads,cracked traces or even burnt traces. Yeah... burnt . I had a C-2a with that very issue.

Okay so I disconnected the input wire to the phono board and there is 6VDC on it! Lets see if I can track this down...

I took the switch apart and cleaned it. There was no debris or anything in it, and now it is super clean.
If I disconnect the plug that carries power from the switch board, the noise stops and the phono still works. But tuner doesn't because it doesn't get power anymore.

So the phono is picking up noise from the nearby power part of the function switch board. I can see no reason for this. What can I do?

So the phono is picking up noise from the nearby power part of the function switch board. I can see no reason for this. What can I do?
Reroute wiring perhaps.Does the CR have a metal cover over the phono amplifiers( function board ) once reassembled ?

Are there any circuit board fasteners that ground the circuit board to the metal chassis.

Are there any circuit board fasteners that ground the circuit board to the metal chassis.
No metal cover over the phono board. But noise is getting to it before that.

The function switch board seems to be grounded through the covering of the switches.

What if there is a noisy 458 in the power supply, and it isn't making audible noise directly, but the noise is being picked up and amplified by the phono board? Is that a valid theory? I'll test it soon.

Give it a shot..
Doesn't seem to be the case. Replaced the 458s in the power supply and the rest of the ones in the tuner. Disconnected the 12V supply from the supply board and used a bench supply instead. It still makes the noise and it stops when I disconnect the supply.

Maybe your noise is from the tuner ?I do believe the tuner is always powered up. Noise disappears when tuner shuts down.:idea:

Apology for going back to basics.
Is the noise a buzz, hiss or hum?
Noise on phono 1 & 2. Any noise on AUX? (not explicitly stated)
Assume GND wire from turntable is connected
Are shorting plugs connected to unused phono position.

Reads like a grounding problem but only one channel affected suggests a connection or component issue.
RCA connections/solder joints checked?
Will dig some more...

Apology for going back to basics.
Is the noise a buzz, hiss or hum?
Noise on phono 1 & 2. Any noise on AUX? (not explicitly stated)
Assume GND wire from turntable is connected
Are shorting plugs connected to unused phono position.

Reads like a grounding problem but only one channel affected suggests a connection or component issue.
RCA connections/solder joints checked?
Will dig some more...
Is a cracking/grinding sound. Very much like a noisy 458.
Currently no table is connected, but the issue is there with one. Shorting plugs in the unused phono does not help. But there is no noise from the phono input if it has the shorting plugs.
No noise in AUX.
Solder joints at the RCA have been checked.

Concensus is that it's the phono stage. Since only one channel affected would
rule out a power supply issue. No C458LG's just the chip as you know. Assume
you don't have an oscilloscope so next best would be an audio probe. Some threads
on AK showing construction. The basic item is just an old mm probe, a 10nF? dc
blocking cap and an old radio/junk speaker. This probably won't work for the phono
stage. The next level up involves connecting an amp to the probe, something like,

LM386 200Gain Audio Amplifier Module Board on ebay

I suppose you could even use a stereo amp, yes overkill...

I've given up on suggesting PC SW emulation of oscilloscope using the soundcard

Point is you need to work out where the noise is coming from/component level, unless
you have a reliable source for TA7122P

Back
Top Bottom