Yamaha CR420 issue

AlexM1402

Hi guys. I have an issue with a CR 420 I just bought. It works fine most of the time but suddenly it started making this quite loud, repetitive banging/ticking noise coming from the back. I tapped it slightly and it stopped for a bit. Then started again. Can you help?

At the risk of being flippant, I think the help you need might be from a pest exterminator.

There is only one part inside a CR-420 that's capable of anything like self-locomotion: the protection relay. That should only make a quiet click a few seconds after you turn the receiver on, and when you turn it off.

If you're hearing something loud, my suggestion is to take the receiver outside, put on some thick gloves, unscrew the wood cover, remove the cover, and see what comes out. Really.

:crazy: (Is that a head-scratching emoticon? That's what I intended.)

Cheers,

chazix

Not sure this helps but thanks!

At the risk of being flippant, I think the help you need might be from a pest exterminator.

There is only one part inside a CR-420 that's capable of anything like self-locomotion: the protection relay. That should only make a quiet click a few seconds after you turn the receiver on, and when you turn it off.

If you're hearing something loud, my suggestion is to take the receiver outside, put on some thick gloves, unscrew the wood cover, remove the cover, and see what comes out. Really.

:crazy: (Is that a head-scratching emoticon? That's what I intended.)

Cheers,

chazix

chazix

Maybe big capacitor with cold solder or shorted, or something with the transformer? Or something really hibernated there for winter :) Open up for inspection for obvious issues but a rubber mallet at hand :)

This is the issue

It's hard to evaluate sounds from a recording without much else for context, but nevertheless my impressions are:
  • It's not a critter :)
  • It's quite possibly a relay, but the sound seems louder and, um, clunkier than I would expect from the protection relay. And even it it is the protection relay, it certainly shouldn't be cycling continually.
If I was forced to take a guess, I'd venture that someone has installed an inappropriate replacement for the protection relay. It's very hard to imagine what condition would make it cycle like that, though. Or, even more speculatively, perhaps someone has installed an additional relay for unknown purposes.

I still think a visual inspection of the receiver's interior would be a really, really good idea. There's a pretty good shot of what it should look like here:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/yamaha-cr-420-rescued.280736/

In the interior shot, the protection relay is the rectangular item southwest from the center of the image. This style of relay is often called "ice cube" for the clear plastic housing.

My WAG is that your receiver's relay will look different, or perhaps you'll find an additional relay.

Cheers,

chazix

Ok So this one?
aWIWH
http://imgur.com/a/aWIWH I will open it and have a look

Opened it up and although nothing looks out of place, the sound is definitely coming from that little spring inside the relay. My local hifi guy wants £60 to fix it which I am not willing to pay. Could it just be the soldiering?

Could it just be the soldiering?

I think it's quite unlikely. The thing is, even if the relay itself or its solder connections were bad, I'm hard-pressed to think of an explanation for it cycling like it is.

This is probably a controversial suggestion, but if your hand is itching for the soldering pencil anyway: I think the only realistic chance at a low-£ solution would be to remove the relay and install jumper wires to complete the speaker connection (as the relay would do, if everything were working normally).

If you did that, you would also want to arrange for your speakers to be fuse-protected, since the relay would no longer be doing its protection duty. To that end, you could probably find some inline fuse holders with wire connections at an auto parts store. 2A fuses should be about right.

Also, you wouldn't want to try out the jumper'd receiver with speakers from the get-go, in case there really is an amplifier fault that was causing the relay to react. You would want to check whether the receiver is working OK with a (non-precious) set of headphones first.

Cheers,

chazix

Back
Top Bottom