Yamaha DDP-2 DAC potential?

mr.jones

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
The local thrift has a Yamaha DDP-2 sound processor for $20. I have read a pretty detailed thread of people using the earlier Yamaha DDP-1 as a DAC with good results by going into diagnostic mode and setting to play PCM. Anyone do this with the DDP-2? I am pretty ignorant about new technology (i.e. anything that is not 2-channel and and have never owned a DAC).

What would I need to use the DDP-2 as a DAC if I can figure out how to get it to play PCM. Will any CD player work through any 2-channel amp or will I need a DVD/CD player and a 5.1 channel, which I do not own and am not looking to buy.

Thanks.

Here's a archive link for this model. Not sure if it will have the necessary info, but worth checking:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/ddp-2/?mode=model

It doesn't say anything about 2-channel support, but perhaps it's possible. Don't know. I do know that multi-channel DAC's are usually a lot more-expensive than the equivalent 2-channel ones. If this unit doesn't work out, then you can always go the 2-channel DAC route. Lots of good ones out there right now in the under-$200 range (although I would recommend spending no less than $100).

I suppose it might be possible if using the digital-outs, but it depends on what it's sending out (since we're not talking about a CD-player here). I have to think they would leave an option for playing DVD's/laserdiscs with 2-channel audio. Don't know for sure.

Last edited:
I found one of these awesome machines at a local pawn shop for less than a tank of gas in 2015.... Here's the thing.. the service manual states this unit will NOT receive and decode a PCM stereo signal... Unless you are in the service test mode.
There is a section in the service manual that tells a person how to get around this problem a lot like the DDP-1. I will say this; This DAC sounds very very good. Not as good as the DDP-1 but great indeed.. No Burr Brown DAC chips in this one though they are the AKM 4320 if memory serves. The BB DAC chips are king to me, but AKM gets some props for this chip. I'm sure YAMAHA did a great job implementing it as well ;-)

Last edited:
Let me know if anyone needs to procedure to enable PCM playback

I have a DDP2 hooked up to an Apple TV and unless the content is specifically in 5.1 format, the DDP2 will just say "No Dolby Digital". Would enabling PCM playback open up the DDP2 to processing all audio from the AppleTV?

I have a DDP2 hooked up to an Apple TV and unless the content is specifically in 5.1 format, the DDP2 will just say "No Dolby Digital". Would enabling PCM playback open up the DDP2 to processing all audio from the AppleTV?

Perhaps, if the Apple can be set to PCM only and you are content without Dolby Digital decoding/surround.

Perhaps, if the Apple can be set to PCM only and you are content without Dolby Digital decoding/surround.

I am afraid the AppleTV cannot be set to only PCM. It seems to change based on the content. Can the DDP2 be made to decode audio that is not 5.1?

I don't know. Presume it can be if someone was offering up a procedure.

But, then you lose sound from the Apple if it decides to output a Dolby Digital bitstream.

I found a DDP-2 service manual for download on ElektroTanya site.

Just do a Google search for DDP-2 and it should come up.

There was a procedure in there to select PCM only, but it seemed to say default is or can be set to Auto (DD taking preference in auto select if bitstream is detected).

Hold down the Dolby Digital button while you are turning on the power button, then release the DD button and press it twice quickly. you will then see the menu change and it's in diagnostic mode. now use the other buttons next to it to change to the input you want/ coaxial or fiber optic. I just did it on my DDP-2 and it works on PCM stereo. If you need additional assistance I will try to upload a youtube video of the procedure when time allows.

Hold down the Dolby Digital button while you are turning on the power button, then release the DD button and press it twice quickly. you will then see the menu change and it's in diagnostic mode. now use the other buttons next to it to change to the input you want/ coaxial or fiber optic. I just did it on my DDP-2 and it works on PCM stereo. If you need additional assistance I will try to upload a youtube video of the procedure when time allows.

Thanks so much. It worked. How do I get it to stay in PCM without being in diagnostic mode?

Hi Guys

New to this forum - stumbled on this DDP-2 info. I have one and managed to get into the diagnostic menu as per above, but could not identify a coax/fibre select. Actually it turned out that I didn't need to.

However I would still like to be able to use this diagnostic mode. Does anyone have the service manual, or more information on the service mode settings?

Cheers

Yes found that last night but looked a bit risky clicking the various suspect links, however I just spotted the 'Get Manual' link (the real one is always so hard to find!). So have it now.
Cheers.

I downloaded the Service Manual, thank you, and in Diagnostic mode the DDP-2 can receive PCM Audio just fine, and I believe it can auto-detect PCM vc AC3. However the capability does not seem to carry through to normal operating mode. In normal operating mode it is not detecting PCM audio.

I did review and test the section of the Service Manual which appears to show you how to select PCM auto select as an option. This does not stick however.

Bottom line, I think I need to keep looking for an AC3/PCM decoder for 5.1 channels with decent audio quality. Any recommendations?

Anyone know much about the HDTV-HDV18-A for sale at HDTVSupply.com http://www.hdtvsupply.com/dolby-ac3-dts-audio-decoder.html

Back
Top Bottom