Yamaha GT-2000X

Nice!

So the platter just fits tight on the spindle, their are not bolts to fasten it securely to the motor?

Thanks everyone for your kind comments I had been waiting for the GT-2000X for a few years. This particular one is in really superb condition for its age. It’s far more amazing looking in the flesh. Pretty certain this models wooden finish came from the Yamaha piano factory.

Yes correct Ken the two butterfly screws are used to lift the platter on/off the turntable to prevent damaging the spindle.

I think all the GT-2000 models had butterfly screws in the original packaging. Because of the age of these turntables I imagine the screws go MIA.

Thanks 808 for your comments & suggestion regarding the YSA-1. I know Theo was unable to attach his soundsmith cart to the cart head.

Can’t wait to get home & give her a whirl!

Congrats ! I saw that one and hoped it might end up in the hands of a fellow AK member. They only show on hifido a few times a year now (along with the other grail - the Exclusive P3) and don't last long.

Hope you get lots of time to listen and enjoy that amazing table !

jblnut

Audiokarma friends I wouldn’t mind some tips on setting up the YSA-1 as it’s a new tonearm.

I have managed to attach my shelter 501 cart to the angled head. The counterweight & rear of the tonearm appears a bit different from the YA-39. Unfortunately I’m away for 10 days so all have a go at setting it up when I’m back.

Hope you all enjoyed the photos - the GT-2000X fit and finish is unbelievable...
Get the Mint LP Protractor. Specify that it is for the GT 2000. It's about as good as any out there and it is reasonably robust.

Last edited:
Audiokarma friends I wouldn’t mind some tips on setting up the YSA-1 as it’s a new tonearm.

I have managed to attach my shelter 501 cart to the angled head. The counterweight & rear of the tonearm appears a bit different from the YA-39. Unfortunately I’m away for 10 days so all have a go at setting it up when I’m back.

Hope you all enjoyed the photos - the GT-2000X fit and finish is unbelievable...
Okay Tim,
I know that you have had your YSA-1 for a while now. So please forgive me if you have already figured-this out: As all of us who own a YSA-1 know if we loosen the grub screw at the collar of the removable headshell, we not only have the ability to move the headshell toward or away from the pivot, we also have the ability to rotate the headshell around the armtube by twisting the headshell in either direction. One of the drawbacks of the YSA-1 is that loosening the screw can cause gravity to rotate the headshell and the for and aft adjustment/movement is almost guaranteed to go adrift in the same rotation.

My way of dealing with this is to gradually slacken the grub screw. After a slight slacken I would test to see whether I can just barely rotate the cartridge on the armtube with some degree of effort required. So basically the headshell was barely able to move. Therefore I could slacken the grub screw off a little bit more to the point where I could move the headshell but the residual friction of the slightly slackened grub screw would prevent unwanted movements of the headshell. It made it easier to 'lock in' pivot to stylus distances and azimuth. I could have confidence that slackening the grub screw wouldn't cause me to lose the setting I had previously, due to the loosened insufficient coupling of the headshell with the armtube whilst that grub screw is slackened.

Last edited:
Any updates Tim?

I am not too sure us Owners of the humble GT2000 will want to find out the differences with the mighty X version, LOL. I think we all hope it will be only subtle, but I think not :no:

I feel turntable envy coming on very soon. :bowdown:

On a side note I almost picked up a Pioneer P3 from HiDo last week (I spotted it just as it was listed) but I couldn’t quite justify the price to myself. Suffice to say it didn’t last long.

It's almost 1 oclock in the morning here. He's probably sound asleep. I should be asleep also. I've got a few days off work so, I can catch up.

Ah those pesky time zones...I think I noticed in another thread that you picked up a second YSA-1 headshell...some updates on your adventures with that would be welcome as well.

I am not too sure us Owners of the humble GT2000 will want to find out the differences with the mighty X version, LOL. I think we all hope it will be only subtle, but I think not :no:

I feel turntable envy coming on very soon. :bowdown:

On a side note I almost picked up a Pioneer P3 from HiDo last week (I spotted it just as it was listed) but I couldn’t quite justify the price to myself. Suffice to say it didn’t last long.

Significant increase in mass and at least half (or better) the wow and flutter of a standard GT-2000, what's to envy? ; ) But seriously I can't wait to hear about the a/b comments.

I get the hifido updates daily in my email and without fail the good stuff is almost always on hold. If you really want something the trick is to get on the waiting list and hope the guy ahead of you blew too much Yen in Ginza the night before.

Ah those pesky time zones...I think I noticed in another thread that you picked up a second YSA-1 headshell...some updates on your adventures with that would be welcome as well.
I have the extreme good fortune to be getting some extensive time off from work. Due to excessive accumulation of untaken annual leave I was ordered by the HR department to take leave. Not just a bit of leave either. They wanted me to reduce a huge pile down to a small lump. I decided to take the whole lot of my accumulated leave in its entirety.

Thus in 35 days(who's counting *wink* ) I commence 4 months paid annual leave. That is the period during which I've decided to mount the Soundsmith Strain Gauge cartridge to the YSA-1 using the second YSA-1 headshell.

I have the extreme good fortune to be getting some extensive time off from work. Due to excessive accumulation of untaken annual leave I was ordered by the HR department to take leave. Not just a bit of leave either. They wanted me to reduce a huge pile down to a small lump. I decided to take the whole lot of my accumulated leave in its entirety.

Thus in 35 days(who's counting *wink* ) I commence 4 months paid annual leave. That is the period during which I've decided to mount the Soundsmith Strain Gauge cartridge to the YSA-1 using the second YSA-1 headshell.

Nice! I can usually only get away with 2-3 weeks at the most. Can't wait to hear to about the SG and increase the GT cart knowledge base!

I commence 4 months paid annual leave. That is the period during which I've decided to mount the Soundsmith Strain Gauge cartridge to the YSA-1 using the second YSA-1 headshell.

4 months to mount a cartridge...You must be very accurate.

The Soundsmith 'The Voice' sounds crazy great on the GT at the moment. I am still getting a better handle on the changes imparted by different weight ranges on my isolation platform. I have drastically slashed the weight carried by the Cleaudio Magix. That, along with further fine tuning of the platform's COG has as I expected changed the sound quality drastically. I am hearing a big further improvement in detail, soundstage, imaging, dynamics, naturalness, comprehension of unfathomable vocal parts and a much enhanced comprehension of the musical message defined by great emotional response to that musical message.

That's what the changes to my isolation platform sound like with The Voice. The Strain Gauge cartridge is purported to be leagues ahead of The Voice. Thus, I am looking forward to fitting it.

Last edited:
4 months to mount a cartridge...You must be very accurate.

As you dial in the GT you get a glimpse of what it's capable of. I just upgraded my rack and the improvement in bass focus and attack has been significant. It's like a jackhammer now but with an extremely tight image. But still I know it's capable of more. As meticulous as Theo is I'm sure that he will take full advantage of those four months. Hopefully we get some pictures out of it.

Back
Top Bottom