Yamaha KX 1200 Issue

ToasterBin

Toasterbin
Hi all,

I just picked up a Yamaha KX 1200 off the bay. Despite the claim it is in good working order, none of its function work.. That is, when I press "Play" or "forward" or try to record, etc., the tape moves for 1 or 2 seconds and stops. The seller made the following statement in his post, so I could make a claim but I'd really prefer to keep the deck if it can be fixed.

"All belts , idler tire replaced, everything checked and works properly. In very good shape"

Any ideas what might be wrong, if he indeed replaced the belts? If so, can it be fixed reasonably?

Will it rewind or fast forward? Does that also shut off after a second or 2?

If so, you may have an issue with the rotational sensor or the belt/shaft that drives it.

I would be fixing it if the price was right and it is in otherwise good shape. Cassette decks are touchy creatures and the seller may have given it a decent test and honestly described the unit.

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. No, it doesn't fast forward or rewind, and also shuts off after a second or two. So, it sounds like you are suggesting it might be the rotational sensor or the belt/shaft that drives it.

Yes, its in excellent shape and I'd prefer to get it fixed. Is this a relatively "easy" fix? And, my sense is that you are correct...it is in excellent shape and he packed it very carefully.

I wouldn't bother unless you're familiar with fixing decks. It was sold as working, it doesn't work. Return it on the seller's dime and get your money back.

Usually the hub rotation sensor is on the takeup side, but in the case of that deck, it has a real time counter (IIRC) and they often have two sensors, one on the supply and one on the takeup side, with the Micro Controller determining elapsed time/remaining time by using differentials in rotational velocity. The K1000/2000 IIRC the RTC only works on play and drops out on FF/REW.

Does the counter read correctly for the few seconds it is operating? Does REW shutoff correctly at the tape end and the counter work properly?

It's been a while since I had one on my bench, although I've got a K-1000 and a K-2000 in my storeroom someplace. Should get them out. :)

I bought one of these on ebay and it was advertised as repaired/restored. It seemed OK but I sent it to a local repair guy, who is also a member of Tapeheads, just to tweak whatever wasn't in spec. He did a great job rebuilding it but his backlog is 6-12 months right now.

John,, the counter does appear read correctly, in all cases. Interestingly, while I was testing for this, I held first the Play button down and then the fast Forward. In both cases, the tape played or fast forwarded, respectively, correctly until I removed my finger. Then the deck stops. Hopefully, that provides additional clue as to what is wrong.

Kmulkey, I may be in touch regarding your repair guy. I've got a good local one, too, but I don't know if he works on cassettes. The deck is otherwise in great shape and I would really prefer to keep it.

Looking more carefully, I note that the right capstan is not turning at all. Could it be a bad motor? What will it take to fix, if so?

I believe there is a dedicated motor for wind operations, but it may be a belt to take up hub or idler to hub design. Download the service manual from HiFiEngine. (Need to create an account, but they don't spam).

From what you describe, the hub optical sensor is doing it's job, and stopping the deck before tape gets spilled.

Cassette deck transport issues resolution is a fiddly business. Parts might need to be sourced, and can be very difficult to find correct ones.

If you are not up to the challenges, ship it back to the seller, and find a properly serviced one. You can put a WTB request in Bartertown. Folks here tend to be quite forthcoming on the operational condition of anything they offer to sell.

He might have gotten oil on one the drive somewhere. Also check the "tire" around the nylon wheel that flips back and forth as play or rewind is activated. If it slips that is the problem. Those "tires" are hard to find but they are around. The tire broke for no known reason.
I first glued mine together as it had some how separated and would slip making the machine a door stop. If the rotary markers on the back of the drive/idler wheels don't move the machine goes into stop.
I am currently rebuilding a radio for an older Toyota that has a similar issue. The idler/drive wheel wouldn't move putting the machine into a stop mode.

The clue is in post number #10. The right capstan isn't turning at all.

There's a belt between the two capstan flywheels. It may be skidding and/or the take-up capstan shaft may be stuck.

Hi John,

I'm cautiously optimistic about your diagnosis. What is the level of difficulty of repair? I will take it to a tech, if a fix is a strong possibility or doesn't require difficult to source parts. I just need to decide soon whether I want to keep or return it.

Hi John,

Any guesstimates as to the level of repair difficulty or ability to source parts? I need to make a decision regarding keeping this deck or returning it. I would prefer to keep it so if its fixable, even by a tech, or isn't riddled with unobtanium parts, I will. I promise I won't hold you to your prognosis... (however, I may make you come here to fix it. Note I'm in Washington State, USA, not Western Australia....though I have friends in Perth who love it there...;)

Have you fixed the 1200 yet or have you returned it? I have two of them and both of them are 1200U's which is what I imagine you have although they are the same. I just finished changing belts and idler on one of them and the other one is sitting open next to me while I wait for an idler. If you still have it and it needs repair I know someone who could probably fix it in his sleep and he is in western WA.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your message. Well, I thought I had it fixed but now its back to misbehaving in the same manner

I would appreciate the referral as I figure out next steps.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Tell me what you have done and maybe I can help. If not then I can give you the reference, but getting my "guy" to fix it can take seemingly forever, so unless you want to go that route I can help in terms of changing belts and idlers, but not in any of the technical electronic repairs beyond capstan and reel motors.

Rob

Hi Rob,

The seller on eBay replaced the belts and idler and claimed it ran. When I received it, it ran very briefly then the motor froze. I had a guy who has done work for me on my other decks replace the reel motor, band it worked, but then did the same thing. From what I've read and what people have told me, it may be a sensor. I don't know, but it won't rewind, fast forward, play, etc.

I let my tech know, but haven't heard back from him. I'll see what he says, too.

Back
Top Bottom