Yamaha M-85 Slightly Disappointing?

I remember auditioning the 801's powered though some Yamaha separates when they first came out. They reproduced some of the most accurate sweet music from the bottom end through to the top.

Hello everyone,I think it's an input problem, because I've run my 6 Cerwin Vega's on my Yamaha MX-1000u which is basically the same amp you have, and the amp handle it without a problem.
The MX-1000 is new amp to my setup, so I hooked all my speakers to it and it filled the room completely.

IMG_0608.JPG IMG_0616.JPG

Last edited:
I suspected gain - good to see this is the problem. Consider the typical phone's earphone jack to be a terrible source to evaluate audio equipment. Connect a CD player to the Tandberg (using it as a pre for the M-85) and you should be able to crank those CVs no problem-o.

I've been on vacation since my last post returned and actually had time to hook up and appreciate my new MX 1000U, now I personally know exactly the feeling you have about M-85. I hooked it up played it through my Cerwin Vegas and I found myself lacking mids and highs, it wasn't as crisp as my Yamaha M-70s. So as much as it pains me not to have this amplifier there was no reason for me to keep it, the 70s were just on a whole Other level.

I've been on vacation since my last post returned and actually had time to hook up and appreciate my new MX 1000U, now I personally know exactly the feeling you have about M-85. I hooked it up played it through my Cerwin Vegas and I found myself lacking mids and highs, it wasn't as crisp as my Yamaha M-70s. So as much as it pains me not to have this amplifier there was no reason for me to keep it, the 70s were just on a whole Other level.
The MX-1000 is a very revealing amp. What you put in is what comes out.

Hello everyone,I think it's an input problem, because I've run my 6 Cerwin Vega's on my Yamaha MX-1000u which is basically the same amp you have, and the amp handle it without a problem.
The MX-1000 is new amp to my setup, so I hooked all my speakers to it and it filled the room completely.

View attachment 922350 View attachment 922352
Nice setup. I like the R2R.
I would not keep the amp in that tight space tho. You'll be baking somethin'

The MX-1000 runs very cool by design and idles at only 70w. It has plenty of ventilation ...even the PCBs have holes through them. but....cover it with something and you will be backing it ...and whatever is above. If covered, even at idle, those transformers will get very hot.

I can cook dinner on my M-80 running auto class A but the MX1000 stays very cool even under heavy load. Klipsh RF7ii's are my speakers and you can rip someones head off very nicely with these amps, and have them smiling while they go deaf. :)

The MX-1000 is a very revealing amp. What you put in is what comes out.
I would agree with you if my two M-70s didn't sound so good compared to MX-1000, the bass was fine, but mids and highs were lacking. I used
the same inputs from the M-70s and the 4 Cerwin Vega 15s and the sound was like night and day.

IMG_0738.JPG

Lots of inherent design issues with the M 70 , they were one and done
I understand your point, but I have 4 M-70's that's playing very well and one MX-1000U that's not, I personally will stay with what's working,
to me that's 4 to 1 I like the odds of the M-70's.

IMG_1199.jpg
IMG_1199.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
So you have 4 working M-70s and an MX1k that needs to be looked at.
Yes, that's correct.

Last edited:
I think the M-80/85 is rated for a 2Ω load. However I have not tried this..

Back
Top Bottom