Yamaha NS 690

So I got an extra budget for the capacitors and therefore I went with ALL mundorf caps. The 18uf 600V is very LARGE about 1.5 X the with of the board. Maybe I was not creative enough so I was not able to fit it on the board.
Since I was excited to listen to it to I ran a few inches of wires to the 18uf and wrapped it with bubble sheet and just laid in on the base of the speakers. I will just have to figure it out later on what I want to do with it again,...but maybe I will leave it be as I am not bothered by it and I am happy with the sound improvement...and while I was at it I also changed the speaker terminals that can accommodate spades and banana plugs.

Thanks Belgianbrain, Jpete9 and Avionic!

Hi, I made the table below, I guess I will go for the Jantzens for budget reason but please advise if 3.3µF in parallel with .22µF is a fine substitute for 3.5µF?
Did I picked the correct parts before I place an order.

Actual Values Combination Brand
2.5µF 1µF+1.5µF Mundorf supreme
3.5µF 3.3µF+.22µF Mundorf ZN
18µF 18µF Mundorf supreme
33µF 33µF Mundorf MKP
Total $ 370.00
Actual Values Combination Brand
2.5µF 1µF+1.5µF Jantzen Silver
3.5µF 3.3µF+.22µF Jantzen Silver
18µF 18µF Jantzen Metalized PP
33µF 33µF Jantzen Metalized PP
$ 234.98

OK, it's an old thread, however looking at suggestions for recapping 690ii's.
Certainly Mundorf and Jantzen are highly regarded however I'm not sure of the wisdom to use
"boutique" caps in the "bypass" positions. The 18uf and 33uf are originally electrolytic. They are
adequate in the bypass positions, maybe consider budget MKP. The crossover includes a band
pass filter(amongst others), frequencys outside of this range are shunted away/bypassed. These
caps are not in the audio path so difficult for me to see how they would affect SQ. Maybe I've
misunderstood? These 2 caps are the largest and maybe cost $100-? Better to spend that on
better caps (mundorf silver... for tweeter) or maybe a nice foil inductor for the woofer????

OK, it's an old thread, however looking at suggestions for recapping 690ii's.
Certainly Mundorf and Jantzen are highly regarded however I'm not sure of the wisdom to use
"boutique" caps in the "bypass" positions. The 18uf and 33uf are originally electrolytic. They are
adequate in the bypass positions, maybe consider budget MKP. The crossover includes a band
pass filter(amongst others), frequencys outside of this range are shunted away/bypassed. These
caps are not in the audio path so difficult for me to see how they would affect SQ. Maybe I've
misunderstood? These 2 caps are the largest and maybe cost $100-? Better to spend that on
better caps (mundorf silver... for tweeter) or maybe a nice foil inductor for the woofer????

Hello, I am almost a novate in electronics, Could you please explain why you say that the 18uf cap are not in the audio path?
Thanks in advanced.

Attachments

• NS-690 I Crossover.jpg
    NS-690 I Crossover.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: mbz
Could you please explain why you say that the 18uf cap are not in the audio path?
No
Certainly the 18uf cap in your attachment is in the audio path.
The 33uf and 3.5uf caps are not.
Possibly I was looking at a different version of the x-over???
Don't believe everthing you read????

No
Certainly the 18uf cap in your attachment is in the audio path.
The 33uf and 3.5uf caps are not.
Possibly I was looking at a different version of the x-over???
Don't believe everthing you read????
jajajaja... problem is I don't believe almost anything I read :) . Thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom