Yamaha or Onkyo Amp?

I’m coming to that conclusion. Back in the day I had a similar system and never objected to the sound of those classic rock recordings. Did I just not hear the same back then or were those vintage systems tuned to tame those recordings? Said another way, were those recordings mastered to overcome the limits of vintage systems?

I’m coming to that conclusion. Back in the day I had a similar system and never objected to the sound of those classic rock recordings. Did I just not hear the same back then or were those vintage systems tuned to tame those recordings? Said another way, were those recordings mastered to overcome the limits of vintage systems?
I think today, as yesterday there was a lot of badly produced recordings for different reasons, but all having to do with what the masses of listeners needed or cared about. Today its soundbars and ear buds, yesterday it was Lloyds..

Then again today as was a generation or 2 ago there are/were some really good quality stuff (both equip and music to play on it). Today the hi rez music can, (but may not either) sound great, as there were with audiophile vinyl before.

As a group,this forum is all over the place as to how quality our systems are, but most I would say are working on improving their systems. And when breakthroughs in that happen, it is natural for it to become more revealing of bad recordings. I have made several very impactful changes to my system in the past 6-8 months and now it is leaving me with the need for more better music as a lot of what I used to think special, isn't.

Not quite in the same league, but I recently acquired a slightly damaged Yamaha AS-3000. It has a quarter volt offset on one channel. It was a good price though. Parred it with a Yamaha CD-S2100 that I've had for several years. Probably the best combo I have ever had in my system and rock solid bass. Somebody else here mention "synergy" between components; man, these have that synergy. Detail I have never heard in anything in my previous combinations. Very smooth frequency response. This amp will definitely drive the complex loads that loudspeakers present. Previously used a Crown HD-5000 D/A converter amp combo. The current setup is a step up. Great Integrated amp/CD. Well, The CD is kind of a clunker mechanically.

Even as a diehard Yamaha fan, I can admit that the "house sound" can be a little uninspiring with certain kind of music. They shine with jazz and classical, and well-recorded rock music. Put on some "fun" music, classic hard rock or metal or electronic, and you'll be wondering where the "fun" went.

But that's what tone controls and equalizers are for. At least with the Yamaha sound you get more or less a blank slate to play with.

I really like the Sansui sound for the kind of music the Yamahas fall flat with. NAD too. I guess what I need is a setup with two different preamps and some sort of switcher. I'm gonna end up like some of these dudes with a wall full of amplifiers and preamps someday probably. LOL

As for the thread topic I've been wondering about those Onkyos. The prices are extremely reasonable on them. My general experience with Onkyo has been similar to Yamaha though, flat and accurate but a little too flat sometimes when you're looking for your music to give you a kick in the pants.

As an A-S501 owner, I just thought I'd throw in my two pennies' worth about the Yamaha sound.

My first Yamaha amp was actually the A-S300 which I bought for a secondary system, but it sounded better than my NAD receiver in my main system - cleaner and more solid - so I kept it there.

Then I got the chance to get the A-S501 at a bargain price when I bought my Q Acoustics 3050 speakers. There was a definite step up in the sound - very open, clean, dynamic and fast. The clarity was amazing - it just seemed to let the detail shine through. It's definitely a fun sound. If there is any criticism, I guess some people may find it a little clinical and I probably wouldn't use it with bright speakers. It works well for me though.

Over the years I had lots of equipment that aged and the sound mellowed as capacitors and other electronic sections lost detail. You can get used to that sound and if you replace it with new gear you can be disappointed with the more detailed sound. My advice is to give the new gear time and allow your ears to get used to the crisper and more detailed sound.

I'd pick Yamaha over Onkyo today. Yamaha makes decent to nice gear as a rule and usually has been one of the more reliable major brands recently.

Have to agree. Versions of Yamaha's TOP-ART 100 wpc amp section in the AS301 have been around for a long time, at least since 2001 as my RX-777 receiver has pretty much the same internal layout. I use my RX-777 for computer duty and it is on almost 24/7. It runs at about room temperature so there is never a concern.

cjhZbP7.jpg

I spent a long time deciding on new amplification for my euro system. The choices where I'm at over there are limited and I found receivers overpriced. I was about to pop for the Yamaha AS-301 when I actually went and listened to it. Very bright! I ended up with a Marantz PM 5005 at about the same price.

I don't find that at all with my 500. Now some speakers I have seem bright, but I can't say that amp does. Very neutral, clear and non fatiguing. How's the Marantz?

I don't find that at all with my 500. Now some speakers I have seem bright, but I can't say that amp does. Very neutral, clear and non fatiguing. How's the Marantz?
Unfortunately I haven't been able to listen to it enough lately. :( I use Martin Logan speakers, but I did not audition the Yamaha with those.

Kinda like the Onkyo amps with their WRAT high current design; even the el cheapo TX 8020 receiver has 50W@8 ohms, but 160W@4 ohms, lots of dynamic headroom.

Very musical amps, very clean with just a touch of warmth in the mid-range and very affordable.

I had the A-S801 and I sold it when I got my Sansui AU-517 fixed. I paid 400.00 for it and it crushes the Yamaha hands down.

If you are looking to play a lot of vinyl, consider a Shitt Mani Phono Preamp. It made my vinyl sound better on the Yamaha.

Very helpful thread.
Since I've been working at home the past year, I have put a bunch of mileage on my Onkyo A5, which I love as it seems to have a very neutral sound to my ears.
I've been thinking about giving it a rest and picking up something more modern for everyday low level "background" listening when I noticed an A-S301 listed locally.
Seems like a good solution and the Yamaha variable loudness is very helpful when dialing back the levels.
My goal is generally to have as little coloration to the sound as possible although some extra brightness compensates for old ears.
If I want to have fun and rock out to some Zeppelin or some Floyd bootlegs I'd probably fire up my Sansui 4000 and live it up!

One of my first major expensive receivers purchases was onkyo (sold for 700 but was sellnig for 500 as it was a display unit) because I needed a receiver with a phono port. I then found a 1963 magnavox console with vacuum tubes (12WPC) and that blew onkyo (100WPC) away for 13 bucks at salvation army. I don't recommend onkyo

I never had a single problem with my Yamahas. I have passed some to my son-in-law for his music studio and they are cranking just fine for him.

Back
Top Bottom