Yamaha PC5002M extremely rare

UPS have to look again :)

On the 2. look, the XLRs in the pic are input and link.

The thing is that back in the dayes XLRs where also used as speaker out, only when the power amps got so powerfull that they became a life threatening danger something was done to protect against electric shock and the XLRs went away.

So it seems you are stuck with the wire problem, my sugestion would still be to make an adapter but from some spade terminals to somthing that is easy to coneckt into. That way it will be much more easy for you to cycle the amp in to different systems, but of curse you might also need som wheels under this beast.

BTW. Mark this is a fantastic amp, I am waiting to hear the result of the battle between the MX and this one (my money in on the MX).

Last edited:
Congrats Mark B! Looking forward to your listening impression. Do you know what the matching preamp was for the PC-x002 series? I'd be interested in getting one for my set.

UPS have to look again :)

On the 2. look, the XLRs in the pic are input and link.

The thing is that back in the dayes XLRs where also used as speaker out, only when the power amps got so powerfull that they became a life threatening danger something was done to protect against electric shock and the XLRs went away.

So it seems you are stuck with the wire problem, my sugestion would still be to make an adapter but from some spade terminals to somthing that is easy to coneckt into. That way it will be much more easy for you to cycle the amp in to different systems, but of curse you might also need som wheels under this beast.

BTW. Mark this is a fantastic amp, I am waiting to hear the result of the battle between the MX and this one (my money in on the MX).
Thanks Anders, it is an incredible amp.

Cool nudes (and clean too)! My stack overflowed looking at all the connectors on the pcbs. :)

How do the caps look? Whenever I open an amp for the first time I take a nice pic and note all the caps that could be marginal. Are the caps 105c or 85c?

Judging from the amount of heatsink grease, I'd wager the outputs were replaced at some time. Just another thing I'd probably clean/replace after I found a service manual.

If you plan on doing any work on this beast, I'd *strongly* suggest getting a lazy susan work table that can handle 200lbs. No sense scratching up the amp or wrecking the kitchen table (been there - done that) :(

Sweet score and congrats!
The recording studio's tech recapped the amp within the last 2 years.

Mark I looked a bit into it and can confirm that the layout of the PCB on the PC5002 seems to be the same as on the 101M.

You sertently did find the holy grail in disguise, the main difference will properly be paper work and looks.

2x666W@8ohm kind of makes the MX look week :)

PS. No I do not hide a 101M in the closet, but I do wish I did - where is santa when you need him.

Do any have the MSRP of the 5002 and the 101? It's a bit strange since in Germany the MX was 2x the price of the 101, but in Japan it was the other way around.

Mark I looked a bit into it and can confirm that the layout of the PCB on the PC5002 seems to be the same as on the 101M.

You sertently did find the holy grail in disguise, the main difference will properly be paper work and looks.

2x666W@8ohm kind of makes the MX look week :)

PS. No I do not hide a 101M in the closet, but I do wish I did - where is santa when you need him.

Do any have the MSRP of the 5002 and the 101? It's a bit strange since in Germany the MX was 2x the price of the 101, but in Japan it was the other way around.
Thanks for confirming my hypothesis Anders. I was stunned when the amp arrived and realized that it could be a 101M in disguise!

The MSRP of the 101M was 1,000,000¥.

As for the retail price of the PC5002M, the seller sent me a copy of the original receipt dated 3/21/1985. Unfortunately it combines 3 amps and an equipment rack into a single price:

20 space rack w/casters + 2 x P2200 + 1 x PC5002M for $5310.00

... just... wow.

This was already established with the now famous Centennial thread, but
MarkB, you are the Yama-MAN!
If anyone would score a 101M, you would. And this is just more cool to have the sleeper (if that's possible with 138 lbs and 666 watts) version.

Congrats. The next time I visit my brother in Astoria, I may have to make a pilgrimage to your Yamaha-mecca.

Yours will be a fun Turkey-Day.

edit: 666 into 8 Ohms... this is the one, true Beast in audio. :bat:

yamah PC-5002M

I'v been following this thread with a lot of interest since I have some of the same Yamaha amps (MX-2000/PC-2002/PC-40002M). Mark I'm sure you would want to replace the bulbs that are out with oem Yamaha bulbs. My PC-4002M had 4 or 5 bulbs out, I contacted Yamaha Parts USA and they ordered the original bulbs from Japan. Not cheap, around $10 each and it took about a month to get them. Seeing the quality/condition of your Yamaha amps I'm sure nothing less than oem Yamaha will do. It would be very interesting to see which came first, the pro models or the home models, or were they planned/designed concurrently for both markets. My guess is that Yamaha was able to keep prices within reach for both lines except for maybe the Centennial series much like Technics was able to do with their turntables, pro and home, shareing design/production features that would be overly expensive if only applied to pro or home. The PC-5002M when new had to go for more than $3,000 after looking at the prices from the receipt you have. Let me know if you need the parts number for the bulbs.

The price is a bit strange since the MX-10000 had a MSRP of 650.000 Yen and the 101M was 1.000.000 yen. In Germany the price was 7.000DM for the 101M and 14.000DM for the MX-10000. In the US it was $7.000 for the MX and as it seems around $3.000 for the 5002.

Of curse the curency is going up and down, but still. Another thing to notice is that the MX is rated to 250W@8ohm and the MX/PC 500W@8ohm.

But one thing is for sure, the 101/5002 takes the lead in heating, just being turned on the 101 use 200W and 3,3kW at max power.

Hi Mark,

I use a 90 degree "g fork" spade connector for my Accuphase P300. Works great as it has the screw terminals....I use a plated 6mm cap scew with 2 flat washers to connect my heavy guage NBS cables. Here's a link to something similar.....also the ones I have I got from partsconexxion...but I think these are better quality. Boy that Yamaha is incredible....good for you!

http://www.analysis-plus.com/images/T1spade-1-web.gif

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.analysis-plus.com/images/T1spade-1-web.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.analysis-plus.com/prod_connectors.html&usg=__i8C1rtQBMxrE1OziCAvDlF3mrns=&h=240&w=400&sz=51&hl=en&start=87&um=1&tbnid=vQSlsFNTV2QdgM:&tbnh=74&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3D90%2Bdeg%2Bspade%2Bconnector%26start%3D80%26ndsp%3D20%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Here's the ones I use.....the ONIX for 5.95.....click on the bottom of the page.....for "spades".....look for ONIX....

http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/connectors.html

How did this monster sound
I haven't listened to it yet. I'm waiting on the spade connectors I ordered from Parts Express. They should arrive by this weekend.

I'd hoped to get some good nudies but my "helpers" have all been otherwise occupied. When I get a hand I'll pull the bottom cover to show the transformers and filter caps, and remove the heat sinks to show the 10 pairs of Sanken transisters per channel.

I haven't listened to it yet. I'm waiting on the spade connectors I ordered from Parts Express. They should arrive by this weekend.

I'd hoped to get some good nudies but my "helpers" have all been otherwise occupied. When I get a hand I'll pull the bottom cover to show the transformers and filter caps, and remove the heat sinks to show the 10 pairs of Sanken transisters per channel.

Excellent mark thanks again for the update

I've got the PC5002M hooked up. It's driving the top-end of my new Infinity IRS Delta's, and the MX-10000 is driving the low-end. I've started a thread on the IRS Delta's in the Infinity forum.

The IRS Delta's sound great with the PC5002M / MX-10000 combo!

The Yamaha 500WPC Amp Challenge...
I would love to test the PC5002M vs. the MX-D1...old school vs. new school.

---
CDV-1700TI, CDX-2000, CDX-530TI, CX-1000U, CX-830TI, DSP–A700TI, DSP–E492, DSP–E300, DVD-S1200, DVD-S795, KX-330TI, MS101 II, MX-1, YST-M10, YST-SE10,
YST-SW1500, YST-SW500, YST-SW20

Past: NS-10MS, NS-10MC, P3500, RX730TI, WF215SB

Back
Top Bottom