Yamaha PC5002M extremely rare

The Yamaha 500WPC Amp Challenge...
I would love to test the PC5002M vs. the MX-D1...old school vs. new school.

---
CDV-1700TI, CDX-2000, CDX-530TI, CX-1000U, CX-830TI, DSP–A700TI, DSP–E492, DSP–E300, DVD-S1200, DVD-S795, KX-330TI, MS101 II, MX-1, YST-M10, YST-SE10,
YST-SW1500, YST-SW500, YST-SW20

Past: NS-10MS, NS-10MC, P3500, RX730TI, WF215SB
I've listened to both amps extensively and I give the edge to the PC5002M. They both rate with the best amps I've ever heard.

For anyone looking for a great sounding 500wpc amp the MX-D1 has one significant advantage over the PC5002M: you can actually find an MX-D1 for sale. Good luck trying to find a PC5002M.

Also, the MX-D1 is much smaller and lighter (if these attributes are of any issue), and it can stealthily exist among other components in a rack if need be. On the flip side, to folks like me, the PC5002M is a system centerpiece that demands attention and respect (i.e. look at me, hear me roar).

Also, the MX-D1 is much smaller and lighter (if these attributes are of any issue), and it can stealthily exist among other components in a rack if need be. On the flip side, to folks like me, the PC5002M is a system centerpiece that demands attention and respect (i.e. look at me, hear me roar).

Yep:thmbsp:, it cranks before you even turn it on.:yes:

Yamaha PC-5002M

Anyone here interested the TOTL Yamaha amps, preamps etc might want to check the auction site for a Yamaha CDX-2020, probably less than a day to go. Also a PC2002 amp going soon with no bids.

PC5002M compared to 101M

I may have missed this, but is the PC5002 the commercial version of the 101M (photo attached). Does anyone know for sure the relationship (it seems they both share a similar large size at least).

Last edited:
maybe we should downgrade these to just "rare"...:banana:

IMG_1973.JPG

IMG_1974.JPG

PS: they really need to be cleaned up!

<grinding teeth with massive jealousy>

WOW. Awesomeness. Too dirty though. I'll drive down and pick them up and give them a good, thorough (long-term) cleaning!:D

HOLY S***!!!!! I thought MarkB's find was awesome, now you have 2 in the trunk (and about 3 inches compression on your rear suspension)?

Don't hurt yourself getting them in and out!!

Now we want to see those before and after pics. And all the details about where these have been hiding and how you got them. And looks like you'll need another roller so both can be moved easily.

:tears: :tears::drool::drool::ntwrthy::ntwrthy:

Bart

Compressed vertebral disc anyone?

Bridged,they should have adequate power.......:D

I'd love to hear what they could do. :yes:

Does anyone know what the production run of the 5002M's was?
What an amazing find... Karma Kudos to you, sir.

Do we have a Yamaha serial number database a la the Concept Database that NN created? If not, with all the Yamaha owners here, maybe we should start one?

That might help with any speculation on production runs.

Bart

Thanks for all the kind words, fellas. To give a few details on the transaction, the deal was over a month in the making and completely off the normal grid. I was looking for a different pro amp and came across a website deep in a Google search for a venue far from me that had some of them. I got in touch with the guy in charge through a middleman to see if he wanted to sell any. He didn't, but I then found out he had some PC5002Ms he wanted to get rid of. The price would not seem cheap to the average person and was by far the biggest gear purchase I've made so far in the year I've been an AKer, but for what I got in return you can certainly call it a steal.

I got bored of my research work this afternoon and wrestled one amp out of the trunk to take some, er, "dirty pictures." I did some quick vacuuming of the top boards (all PC boards are manufactured by ELNA, btw) so that I didn't get crap all over some nice carpet. First thing I noticed was that the organization of the wiring is a little different than Mark B's version, might be production change or just a result of the recap his amp had. The passive components seem pretty good. Most of the electros are neon green ELNAs, some are Chemi Con, and the rest are unbranded black ones. Films look to all be high quality (bigger ones are orangy-red and marked "V X"?), but what do I know. After opening the side, I was less than thrilled about the size of the tranny that appeared...until I opened the bottom and realized that was just a secondary - the main trannies are each nearly as big as the one in a DH-500 (see the bottlecap for scale)! You also get to see the copper busses that connect the 6 PS caps per channel. And it was relatively easy to remove a rear heatsink to expose the 20 transistors in each channel. Gigity-gigity-gigity! Can't wait to hear these amps, that's for sure.

IMG_1984.JPG

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_1978.JPG

IMG_1981.JPG

IMG_1982.JPG

IMG_1983.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_1989.JPG

Good God, that looks more like the inside of a TIG welder than an amp. :yes: LUCKY!:D

I have to say congrats! Those are definitely rare beasts indeed and it would be nice to hear what you think of them when you get them up and running.

:jawdrop:

Unbelievable, a pair of those bad boys!!!

The nudie of the output transisters is for only 1 channel - that's 20 output transisters per channel. The approximate dimensions of each heat sink are 6.5" W x 10.5" H x 2.25" D. My amp barely get warm running the bass on the Infinity IRS Delta's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom