Yamaha system's value

Michelle M

First, thank you for taking the time to read my post and hopefully give some experienced guidance. My father in law bought this gear in the late 1980s and took fantastic care of it. He gave it to us to do as we please, not being audiophiles and a NYC apartment have made the decision to sell an easy one. I tried eBaying the gear based on the selling prices there and they did not move. Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way? Is this worth much? Is there a place where this gear is appreciated and sought? Thanks!
Yamaha MX1000U Power Amp, Yamaha CX1000U Pre Amp, Yamaha Natural Sound TX1000U AM/FM Stereo Tuner, Yamaha Natural Sound Digital Sound Field Processor DSP-E300

Attachments

• IMG_4571.JPG
    IMG_4571.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 84
I go with average selling values in like-condition (apparently excellent un-restored and working in this case). There are usually outliers in prices, ... one that went for twice normal, one that went for half, ... Then reduce some if you're selling locally only, even more if you're in an audio-challenged small town.

Great system BTW, bring it over and we'll hook it up (warning: I'll try to keep it).

I go with average selling values in like-condition (apparently excellent un-restored and working in this case). There are usually outliers in prices, ... one that went for twice normal, one that went for half, ... Then reduce some if you're selling locally only, even more if you're in an audio-challenged small town.

Great system BTW, bring it over and we'll hook it up (warning: I'll try to keep it).

LOL. Thanks so much Jeff. I did price it as both you and tyeeslayer suggested, but no bites. I was surprised especially that nobody went for either Amp. I'm in NYC and thought a local sale would be a breeze, but with Audio Exchange downsizing and me being a novice in these gear... I priced the cx1000u at 400, the mx1000u at 850, the tuner at 150 and the field processor at 150. happy with 1500 for the lot and willing to deliver in nyc or li... seemed like a decent deal. would you suggest i take a different approach?
thanks!

Try pricing with a low opening price and a reserve where you feel you could be comfortable letting them go.

I'd expect the tuner and field processor to go for less, as nice as they are, because of low demand, but the preamp and poweramp are both fine units.

Agreed, power amp and preamp are the most desirable, the others will probably be nice in a package but people won't drive across town for them.

I think you're close on price, for evilbay, if you're patient and don't mind the evilbay roulette wheel of risks. If you're not a regular evilbay seller you have a painful learning curve ahead, I suggest taking less to sell locally (which has risks also, ... sell for cash only, best to meet somewhere public in many cases).

I don't know how you're marketing the equipment, but it sounds like you're struggling a bit. To get serious interest toward the top of the scale on ebay you'll need to be willing to ship, and accept paypal, and all of the risks that come with that deal (search SNAD, many scammers, I know victims personally, ... very personally) including paypal's 6-month buyer-protection that allows them to take their money back for 6months, ... you're left naked.

To sell locally is tough, many scams there also but cash talks, BS walks. If you haven't tested the gear and can't verify proper functions you're at a disadvantage. If you have a friend who can properly and carefully test for proper operation do it, and then mention that along with your history of original ownership to get interest. Be patient, this is a system that not many people will appreciate nor recognize, and only people who know it's performance and value are interested in paying over $1,000 (or even a couple hundred) for a 20-year-old blackface stereo system.

Lots of photos, good description, verify operation. Doesn't hurt to post the power output / performance of the amp either (go to hifiengine.com if you don't already know it).

Agreed, power amp and preamp are the most desirable, the others will probably be nice in a package but people won't drive across town for them.

I think you're close on price, for evilbay, if you're patient and don't mind the evilbay roulette wheel of risks. If you're not a regular evilbay seller you have a painful learning curve ahead, I suggest taking less to sell locally (which has risks also, ... sell for cash only, best to meet somewhere public in many cases).

I don't know how you're marketing the equipment, but it sounds like you're struggling a bit. To get serious interest toward the top of the scale on ebay you'll need to be willing to ship, and accept paypal, and all of the risks that come with that deal (search SNAD, many scammers, I know victims personally, ... very personally) including paypal's 6-month buyer-protection that allows them to take their money back for 6months, ... you're left naked.

To sell locally is tough, many scams there also but cash talks, BS walks. If you haven't tested the gear and can't verify proper functions you're at a disadvantage. If you have a friend who can properly and carefully test for proper operation do it, and then mention that along with your history of original ownership to get interest. Be patient, this is a system that not many people will appreciate nor recognize, and only people who know it's performance and value are interested in paying over $1,000 (or even a couple hundred) for a 20-year-old blackface stereo system.

Lots of photos, good description, verify operation. Doesn't hurt to post the power output / performance of the amp either (go to hifiengine.com if you don't already know it).
jeff thank you so much for this priceless advice!

Try pricing with a low opening price and a reserve where you feel you could be comfortable letting them go.

I'd expect the tuner and field processor to go for less, as nice as they are, because of low demand, but the preamp and poweramp are both fine units.
jberger, thank you very much for this advice! you folks are wonderful! m

Your prices are definitely in the ball park price wise but I've noticed it's difficult to sell gear in a big city as (I'm guessing) most of the people who would use it typically live in small apartments and the people with money tend to just buy new.
I've gotten many deals here in San Diego with older folks downsizing but everything I've sold had to go on eBay or it would have just sat on Craigslist forever and ever.

Your prices are definitely in the ball park price wise but I've noticed it's difficult to sell gear in a big city as (I'm guessing) most of the people who would use it typically live in small apartments and the people with money tend to just buy new.
I've gotten many deals here in San Diego with older folks downsizing but everything I've sold had to go on eBay or it would have just sat on Craigslist forever and ever.
thx OMG, exactly what i think we're running into!

Back
Top Bottom