1. Welcome to the new server. If you would like to help out with the cost of the new server, check out the thread "Audiokarma's server needs your help" in AK NEWS.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha YP-D3

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Van_Isle, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Van_Isle

Van_Isle AK Subscriber Subscriber

My latest acquisition, for $30 (Can). A YP-D3. Looks pretty good after a bit of clean-up (but it appears from the pictures I still have a bit of "dusting" to do!). Apparently it has spent the last 10-years or so in an attic (along with a CA-510 / CT-510, a set of EPI-100's, etc.).

It came with a combo headshell / stylus made by "Spectrum" (house brand from the now-defunct A&B Sound, here in Western Canada). I have replaced this with an old Ortofon SMB-12 I had and a Technics headshell. I tried it 1st with a generic metal headshell but I didn't have a spacer and with the Ortofon the arm was nowhere near level. With the Technics it sits pretty-much level. Still have to finish setting it up properly but it holds speed just fine and sounds pretty darn good.

Comments? - will the Ortofon be a fairly good match for this turntable? Here is a link to another thread that has some YP-D3 specs:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1353528

I had a bit of a head-shake experience at the end of the 1st album side when the arm didn't lift - ???? - until I remembered this is a completely manual turntable. MUST be getting old!

Attached Files:

2. the-real-mandak

the-real-mandak Super Member

I think the Ortofon will do fine, it is not a heavy cart so there is room for the waight if sone spaceres.

I don't have the specs for the effective mass of the arm, so can't say how well it will work.