Yamaha YST-NC1; Both speakers have no bass just high frequencies

John Barron

Good evening,

Last week i ordered from a private seller on eBay a Yamaha YST-NC1 small component system to replace a similar sized JVC component system belonging to my wife

The seller advertised it as the speakers sounding good and everything tested and working; tuner, cd player, left tape deck, the only issue being the right tape deck not working.

Sounds good and my wife needs this for the summer when she's out by the pool I bought and it.
I couldn't stand the JVC because when i carried it i had to carry the whole thing because the speakers couldn't be disconnected.

The YST-NC1 arrived on Wednesday, May 5th.

I set it up on Thursday. All wires are and have been double checked and are connected together correctly but I am not getting any bass out of the Yamaha Active Servo Processing speakers which have an 'air woofer' on them.

The only thing coming from the speakers is the high end frequencies. They sound like speakers that only has treble coming from them. The low end of the spectrum is not there at all.

Any ideas as to what's happening here. I can return the unit for a full refund but I really want for my wife. I told the seller i would like to see if I can get it working.

The headphones sound fine when plugged into the jack, however the headphones don't require the same amount of power as two air woofers and apple earbuds aren't operating on the same technology as the YST-SNC1 speakers.

The equalizer is looking and operating normal across the entire spectrum. From 63hz-16.5kHz it looks as if I am receiving the accurate feedback.

I can't find much if any information on this particular unit. I was hoping i'd be able to get it working. Starting to think there's something fried inside and that fixing it would be more than it's worth.

Can I test the outbound signal in the speaker wires with a multimeter assuming i know what's supposed to be coming out and compare to what actually is.

There's also a reset button. It was hard to press in but I did try as best i could without forcing it. I believe that has to do with station frequencies resetting for different geographical areas not a power or transformer reset.

Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• IMG_6686.JPG
    IMG_6686.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6692.JPG
    IMG_6692.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6693.JPG
    IMG_6693.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6694.JPG
    IMG_6694.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6695.JPG
    IMG_6695.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6690.JPG
    IMG_6690.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6691.JPG
    IMG_6691.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6687.JPG
    IMG_6687.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6688.JPG
    IMG_6688.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 16
Yes, i just wanted to make sure. I like this set because the speakers disconnect. The JVC with the speakers you can't disconnect was a real PITA for many years.

I'd also prefer my wife have her own little Yamaha set rather than playing on my new M-85/C-85/T-85/NS-1000's when she wants to listen to some radio. This is a perfect set for her.

The first thing I would do is reverse one side of the speaker leads. Speakers not in phase with each other will kill the low end.

Why doesn't the manual say anything about reversing the speaker leads to the thing into phase?

I know it can't be good all those high frequencies like that. It starts clipping when the volume is raised.

I switched the copper wire to the negative and the silver to the positive as i suspected that didn't do a thing.

Do you mean wire either a left or right speaker positive out of amp to the negative into speaker and the negative out into the positive in on the speaker? She said it was checked before it left and everything checked ok. It doesn't make any sense that they would both go bad unless it has something to do with the main YST capacitor or circuit or a critical component in that YST system. Strange.

Back
Top Bottom