Yard sale/Thrift shop systems! Who's got them?

RebelKat

Resident Tiger
HI! here's my current setup, in my listening room. It's taken a few years to gather together, but I finally feel like it's pretty good. It just goes to show that you can, with some patience and a bit of good luck get some great bang for your buck on some really nice sounding gear. Here's what I have running:

Nad 3155 Integrated amplifier. It was a S/A pickup, not tested. Took it home for $15, with the ability to return if it didn't work. What did I have to lose? Got it home, it was silent. Then I noticed missing jumpers for pre and amp. Added some and it fired right up!

Nad 515 cd changer. Goodwill pick up for $15. No remote, but sounds awesome, and changes cd's faster than any cd player I've encountered. AND matched my amp!

Sony S707ES tuner. Another $30 goodwill pickup. This thing is insanely featured with stuff like station naming, and a/b antenna switching. Came with wood panels too, in perfect condition.

DBX 3bx-DS processor. I'm still doing the happy dance over this one. A garage sale find, in great shape with manual. the impact restoration adds just a bit of life to my records and some of my more compressed cd's really benefit from a touch of expansion, especially in a small room. It cost me $3!

Technics 1610 turntable. Yet another goodwill find, a first run (by Panasonic) table in great shape, and complete with a good dustcover. It set me back $25 I added to it a....

Shure premier yellow cartridge (M95). A yard sale find, inside a box of a dozen or so carts. the whole box was $5 and after I sold off 8 of them I was ahead about $40, so the cart was in essence free. Added a stylus to it for $25, for the total table and cart about $50

JBL LX500 speakers. I found these at another S/A, they were a mess. Filthy, covered in candle wax, grills cat-clawed, woofer foams shot, adhesive from the foam panels covering the speakers' fronts oozing out everywhere, making them a sticky mess! Got the pair for $5. It took forever to clean them up but after some severe elbow grease, new grill cloth, and a refoam, they are looking good and sounding awesome.

Klipsch RW12 powered subwoofer. Again, a Goodwill grab. Missing a typical computer type power cord but otherwise in excellent shape. Cost me $30. The Klipcsh 12" sub integrates with the JBL's 8" woofers surprisingly well crossed at about 45 hz. And it's adjustable easily with the volume control on the top. Self powered by a 240 watt rms BASH amplifier!

Calrad Hi-Res Interconnects hooks the whole system together. I made a post about these...I got them from the "Circuit City Blowout" when they were selling everything they could find in the final day. There was a box on the floor filled with wiring and I pulled a LAGRE handful of these nice fat gold-tipped rca cables out and brought them to a register to ask how much. She responded $5! Score!

So, not a bad setup for under $250, methinks!
Who else has a totally thrift/yard sale setup? Post your low-ball rig here!:thmbsp:

Nice list of gear, so post some pics when you can. My first piece was from a flea market.

rome

I have almost nothing but garage sale stuff. The only retail thing I still have and listen to is a 42 year old pair of Bose 901s.

Right now I'm at the computer listening to a Technics 1200 MkII with an AT Series eight cartridge ($175), a Yamaha RX-550 receiver ($10) and DCM CX-17 speakers ($20).

Back
Top Bottom