Yay or Nay.....

your first machine will teach you loads, so $25 is a very cheap price to pay.

for example, the machine has a time counter (not the stupid 0-999), has extra
notch detection (in upper left of cassette) for auto selection of xyz, has
bias tune, output level control (to match your tuner/phono/ipad/etc),
peak hold indicators (in case you're digitizing and need to adjust output
to 0db), rewind to stop (at 000 on tape counter), headphone jack and level
control (so you don't have to power up the monster for a tape check),
lights to show tape type selection & dolby selection and on/off
(cause you can't see in the dark)

then you can decide which you don't have you need, or have but don't
need.

your first machine will teach you loads, so $25 is a very cheap price to pay.

for example, the machine has a time counter (not the stupid 0-999), has extra
notch detection (in upper left of cassette) for auto selection of xyz, has
bias tune, output level control (to match your tuner/phono/ipad/etc),
peak hold indicators (in case you're digitizing and need to adjust output
to 0db), rewind to stop (at 000 on tape counter), headphone jack and level
control (so you don't have to power up the monster for a tape check),
lights to show tape type selection & dolby selection and on/off
(cause you can't see in the dark)

then you can decide which you don't have you need, or have but don't
need.

I picked it up today. The original owner took great care of it... came with the original box, manual, and not a scratch on it. Now I just need to get some cassettes to try it out:thumbsup:

Reactions: 3db
Good job, and glad you decided to take a shot at the format.

One of the best parts about cassette decks, is now you have a new path to getting the music you desire at a steep discount to LP's.

Look for some CRO2 tapes recorded at 120us ("Normal BIAS") equalization, with Dolby HX. These appeared in the 90's (A&M is one label that adopted this standard). I think you will be very impressed with the sound quality!

Good job, and glad you decided to take a shot at the format.

One of the best parts about cassette decks, is now you have a new path to getting the music you desire at a steep discount to LP's.

Look for some CRO2 tapes recorded at 120us ("Normal BIAS") equalization, with Dolby HX. These appeared in the 90's (A&M is one label that adopted this standard). I think you will be very impressed with the sound quality!

Thank you sir:thumbsup: As soon as I put the first cassette in I loved it... It didn't hit me until Monday that I'd be able to make playlist off Spotify and record to tape, so yeah, I'm pretty stoked!

Thanks for the advice on the tapes...wheres the best place to find those? As far as blanks I found these on amazon, I know they're not the best, but affordable and from what I've read pretty decent.....

IMG_0331.jpg

Last edited:
I was referring to pre recorded tapes, actually.

Cro2 tapes are no longer manufactured, sadly. The tapes you show are decent though. Have fun making your mix tapes. The Dolby HX that your deck has was a significant improvement. It's single ended encoding, meaning no decoding upon playback. If you bring your HX encoded recordings to play on someone else's deck, or your car, etc., the benefits of HX encoding will improve the result, on any deck you play them on.

I was referring to pre recorded tapes, actually.

Cro2 tapes are no longer manufactured, sadly. The tapes you show are decent though. Have fun making your mix tapes. The Dolby HX that your deck has was a significant improvement. It's single ended encoding, meaning no decoding upon playback. If you bring your HX encoded recordings to play on someone else's deck, or your car, etc., the benefits of HX encoding will improve the result, on any deck you play them on.

Oh got ya.... my bad:biggrin: Can I just search for releases by A&M to find some?

Back
Top Bottom