Yet Another L100 Crossover Thread

Zonker92

All shiny and chrome
Ignoring for purposes of this discussion any aftermarket approaches, such as the Murphy or Gravesen design:

As between the two OEM crossover schematics posted below (early, vertical layout above, which had the LE20 tweeter) which might be preferable, and why?

I ask because I’m about to redo the crossovers in mine (later version) and I kind of want to stick to one of the original approaches, for an original(ish) sound, warts and all.

Thanks!

962A1709-8B79-48AC-8514-3E4D3FAF7849.jpeg 18678B81-4F47-4622-8E4C-F5EC55F84ED7.jpeg

Last edited:
If building from scratch you owe it to yourself to first hear this version ( gotta love simple & cheap! ).

index.php

Rarely mentioned ( apart from it's infamous lumpy FR response ) is how coherent sounding that simplistic network can be ( a result < IME > of all 3 drivers using the same polarity and the gentle crossover slopes employed ).

No doubt the massive presence peak ( at 6K ? ) will eventually drive you nuts > though I would first try mitigating it with an LCR notch strapped across the Le5-2 (s) terminals ( before trying a completely different network ).

:)

I posted this query here and in the JBL group on Facebook, and no one seem to have a real answer for me. I wound up just buying better caps for the stock crossovers.Mine are the simpler version above.

I posted this query here and in the JBL group on Facebook, and no one seem to have a real answer for me. I wound up just buying better caps for the stock crossovers.Mine are the simpler version above.
I’m thinking of going the same route, I’ll wait for your impressions since I really like the way the 100s sound...

I would recommend doing the crossover ...JBL S70 Alpha III which used those drivers but wisely crossed over the woofer. I acknowledge it is not pure 100 but the resultant midrange clarity should be better.

8ECF19CC-B893-473F-A263-AB0D74F282AC.jpeg C25F2ADD-9540-47A6-9FFE-6DF55D993246.jpeg I opened up my L100 - just to reject a peak.. looks like they were recapped, take a look, not sure what they are but I’ll do a more thorough investigation in the futur. For now I plugged the ports from the inside, better bass control

Would the new crossover make the L100 sound more like a L112?
Don’t know what L112 will sound like but with the new crossovers ( can’t find the pictures right now) the sound is very balanced and clearer, My son is using the L100 and he describes them as “ the have presence”

For my money , go active. Amp power is inexpensive these days and even DSP crossovers are.. There is no response shaping in the L100 , It all relies on the intrinsic goodness of the drivers. Not perfect at all but it was a speaker of its day , they sold over 250000 pairs. Somebody liked them.
However the power of digital processing offers a significant leap in making these speakers behave at a level that was not available back in the day. PLUS you generally have room response available.
Look at the baby DBX , Behringer DEQX etc

All this from a bloke who hot rodded a pair of jbl L40's as long ago as 1978. They were no longer just a pretty good JBL 2 way , they were awsome.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom