Yo from Umass

Yo, What's up everyone,
My name is Yonah and I am a student at Umass, Amherst.
I just got a record player and have been wanting to get into vinyl and other vintage stuff for a while now but never put the time in to actually get my musical interests flowing.
I would love to just sit back in my attic room of my crappy college house and listen to records and write music but I realize that I am pretty typical in the college life and never get around to making that happen.
This place and forum look great though and I would love to hear from some people as to where I could get some cool vintage speakers. I went to this amazing class at Smith college today (all girls school but any enrolled student in the "5-college" area can take classes at any of the 5 universities) and saw some really cool old-school speakers. They were Klipsch brand and were roughly 20 inches high in a nice wooden box frame. I would love to find some cool vintage speakers like those but craiglsist has absolutely nothing in this western Mass area, so hopefully some of you could help me find some speakers like those, not necessarily the same brand but definitely that style.
The class is so great, its called Electroacoustic Music and we are learning about the beginnings of audio-recording and electronics as well as learning how to use synthesizers, computer programs and other forms of this amazing musical world. I am definitely a novice beginner in this world but love it deeply and would love to learn. And a nice pair of vintage, solid, crisp speakers with a cool receiver would pump me up so much and hopefully help me to light a fire under my butt and start living my as-of-now stagnant musical dreams.
Thanks to Krowmagnum for telling me about AudioKarma and giving me some great advice. He had some cool old speakers of similar style to the ones I saw in class but lives too far from here.
I am originally from Columbus, Ohio but go to Umass and am in my fifth year here. I don't know what I'm doing next but I don't care as long as I have some sick speakers to listen to my twelve records, haha.
Thanks for your help and please let me know if you have any leads or info in Amherst or anywhere close by.

Welcome to AK! Electroacoustic Music sounds like a good time with credit.
Keep you eyes on CL and do a little research here, something will turn up, and yard sale season is coming. Regarding your 'record player', what did you get?

Welcome onboard. How is Amherst? I used to own the Tech Hi-Fi there but, that was way before your time.

welcome. best advice is to just keep an eye out on craigslist and backpage till you find what your looking for as far as stereo gear. it will pop up in time. sounds like an awsome college class btw

Welcome onboard. How is Amherst? I used to own the Tech Hi-Fi there but, that was way before your time.
:yikes: Was this in 1979 or 1980? If so, I bought a single Advent /3 from your store and wondered if it screwed up the inventory!

Tom

Yo, What's up everyone,
My name is Yonah and I am a student at Umass, Amherst.
I just got a record player and have been wanting to get into vinyl and other vintage stuff for a while now but never put the time in to actually get my musical interests flowing.
I would love to just sit back in my attic room of my crappy college house and listen to records and write music but I realize that I am pretty typical in the college life and never get around to making that happen.
This place and forum look great though and I would love to hear from some people as to where I could get some cool vintage speakers. I went to this amazing class at Smith college today (all girls school but any enrolled student in the "5-college" area can take classes at any of the 5 universities) and saw some really cool old-school speakers. They were Klipsch brand and were roughly 20 inches high in a nice wooden box frame. I would love to find some cool vintage speakers like those but craiglsist has absolutely nothing in this western Mass area, so hopefully some of you could help me find some speakers like those, not necessarily the same brand but definitely that style.
The class is so great, its called Electroacoustic Music and we are learning about the beginnings of audio-recording and electronics as well as learning how to use synthesizers, computer programs and other forms of this amazing musical world. I am definitely a novice beginner in this world but love it deeply and would love to learn. And a nice pair of vintage, solid, crisp speakers with a cool receiver would pump me up so much and hopefully help me to light a fire under my butt and start living my as-of-now stagnant musical dreams.
Thanks to Krowmagnum for telling me about AudioKarma and giving me some great advice. He had some cool old speakers of similar style to the ones I saw in class but lives too far from here.
I am originally from Columbus, Ohio but go to Umass and am in my fifth year here. I don't know what I'm doing next but I don't care as long as I have some sick speakers to listen to my twelve records, haha.
Thanks for your help and please let me know if you have any leads or info in Amherst or anywhere close by.

Welcome to AK, Yoyoyoyo. How do you like Happy Valley? :D
I'd take a look here in NoHo: http://www.electronicscenteronline.com/
When they were downtown, you wouldn't have believed the silver-face gear lining the service area. They've moved to their present location within the past year or so. And I agree that CL in this area truly blows.

Regards and welcome from Tom

Back
Top Bottom