Young folks, post those systems!

what are those johnny 5 lookin speakers on top of those sub cabinets?
did you make those yourself?
they look rather nifty :)

:thmbsp:

As Johnny 5 would say, need...input!

Here's what I know:

They were purchased from John Heritage's stereo store in Lawrence, KS sometime in the eighties. The brand is Sound Engineering Labs. I have gotten no further. They were specially modified for the woofer cabinets to be on the floor and for the top parts to hang above a window. When I got them, they had a 10' or so braided belden cable set terminated in a Jones connector that plugged into the back of the woofer cabinets. I have since spliced out most of that snake, leaving enough so I can move the top units around the cabinets. They use modified Phillips drivers for the top units and Becker woofers.

When received, the woofers were covered in a white cloth and there was a frame around the top units that also had the white cloth. Two of the tweeters were blown and the woofers needed to be refoamed, so I ended up taking off the cloth. Looks much better in my opinion. I also removed the wood frames from the top units some time ago to improve looks.

I still need to replace the midranges (not blown but in pulling out the dents I made them outward facing cones instead of domes), one tweeter, and recap the crossover. Even with all this, they still sound excellent. Also in long-term plans are to figure out the xover points of the woofers and see about dropping in some epic modern subwoofer drivers, since the internal cabinet volume is 3.5l.

I'm 20. I currently run a Sansui SR-929 into Adcom GFA-545II and GTP-400 through ADS L810s. I've accumulated a lot of stuff since I started around 16... JBL L65/L166/4311b/4406 x6, Infinity rsII and rsIIIb, Dahlquist DQ-10... to name some of the better loudspeakers I've lucked into over the last few years.

Wow, reality check. I'm not young anymore. 33 and counting...

Going through college I had the Onkyo TX-8511 with HK speakers. Decent, but nothing great. Come to think of it, what ever happened to that stuff? I guess I gave it away after I graduated. At least I didn't give away a pair of DCM TimeFrames like my buddy did when he graduated!

I couldn't imagine how anyone could've really scored before the days of craigslist and ebay. Maybe thrift shops,garage sales, and flea markets here and there. It's so much easier to score vintage gear with the internet now. All of my current gear is from CL, except for 1 amp.

My 18 year old daughter's Nakamichi/ADS system

Office2net.jpg

The last SS gear I had was back in 1974 through 1977 when I bought new the Sansui TU7700 and AU7700 along with 4 JBL L26s on my way back from nam. I don't think I would ever buy SS again.....BUT, BUT.....If I ever came across a Nakamichi stack like that, I'd be ALL OVER IT. I've lusted for that stack since it came out. Lucky daughter. When she tiers of it I'll send you my adress:D

Hello everyone! I figured I would post my humble setup.. I can't get too crazy, as I am only in my dorm room.

It consists of:
Harmon/Kardon PM640 Integrated Amplifier
Pioneer PL112 - D Belt Drive Turntable (DESPERATE TO UPGRADE THIS)
Pioneer RT - 707 Reel to Reel
Pioneer CT - F755 Cassette Deck
Hitachi FT - 340 Tuner
Sony CDP - 101 Compact Disc Player

I also have about 100 records, 90 Compact Discs, 15 Cassettes, and 3 Reel to Reels.

P.S - Ignore the Xbox 360, and the shamefully small speakers..

Attachments

• 100_0041.jpg
    100_0041.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I'm almost 19 and after being in my own place for a year and living off my ipod and a pair of earbuds I really started to miss the sound of my records ( I bought Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band before starting grade 9 at the local and sadly no longer there record store called Big John's witch along with the classic records also had a toilet filled to the brim with shit tapes, and rode home with it under my arm). My dad had a technics sa-600 reviver, sl-1500 turntable, and a pair of JBL CF150, Sennheiser HD 25, and three crates of records. My system has just begun with a technics sa-300 that I picked up at the local repair shop, a pioneer pd-m450 6 disk changer, a jvc l-a10 turntable, and a pair of lg speakers out of a home theater system.

In 1980, I was 24 years-old and this was my system:

yammieweb.jpg

Yamaha CA-810
Yamaha CT-810
Pioneer CT-F900
Technics SL-1900
BIC FM-10 Beam Box
Bose 601's

Here's my "system".

Marantz 2235B, catrafter restored, currently not in use.
Dual 1216 w/Shure M75. Running with the Fisher 800C right now.
Fisher 500C in the wood case, waiting for restoration.
The little gold face receiver is a Soundcraftsmen 9530, single ended EL84.
Fisher 400 waiting for restoration.
Kenwood KA-9100 that I restored, runs with the DQ-10s.

Out of the picture are the Pioneer 77As that the Fisher 800C run. Coming soon is my Soundcraftsmen MA5002/SP4002 combo.

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 51
21st birthday in less than a month. Update to my bedroom system, which used to look like this:
crw1845.jpg

Ehh, seems the vintage bug bit me...looks a little something like this now:
crw2013fix.jpg

Marantz 170 DC amp
Marantz 3250 preamp
Technics ST-9030 tuner (Doesn't match, but it's such a great tuner I don't really mind - other than it's deeper than the Marantz preamp, meaning the only way it would fit in the stack is to go inbetween the preamp and amp...thus why it's below jerry rigged on top of the TV - ugly but it works for now)

Still working on a replacement for that JVC CD player - it works fine but I'd like one that looks a little more - snazzy? A silver CD player would be nice, maybe a silver DVD player in a pinch. I do hate the black contrast with the silver, but I can live with it for now.

For the record the Adcoms sounded good to me, but I do so love the sound of this Marantz gear. The Adcom was like 22 pounds and 100 wpc, the Marantz is 80 wpc but feels like it's 28 pounds or so - noticeably heavier I recall when I carried it in and cleaned it up. I have the amp gains at the 12 o'clock position and with the preamp at 9 o'clock it's blasting.
I do so love the pretty lights, they look so nice in the dark:
crw2014.jpg

Too bad I can't switch the meters so they'll actually move, the levels I play at don't even make them move hardly at all. I have a nice NAD integrated amp + power amp I still haven't decided what I'm doing with yet and a Pioneer A27 Series 20 amp that I need to have repaired/restored - I don't want to sell it but I don't know where to use it either! :headscrat

I need a bigger room - which in thuscase means I need a bigger house...

21 years old

Cerwin Vega LS-12 modded for higher efficiency and better vocal tuning
Marantz HE-10
Onkyo Tx-SV414PRO
Numark Pro TT-1
ART DJ phono Pre
Yamaha receiver that I hate...

Wow... I sound like a DJ... I am not, I promise.

When I was 21 years old, I had:

Pioneer SA-5800 integrated
Paradigm 3se Mini speakers
Kyocera DA-410cx CD Player
Harman/Kardon CD91 tape deck

Of course, that was exactly half a lifetime ago. I still have the speakers and CD player tucked away in the garage system, but the Pioneer and H/K are long gone.

-D

21st birthday in less than a month. Update to my bedroom system, which used to look like this:
crw1845.jpg

Ehh, seems the vintage bug bit me...looks a little something like this now:
crw2013fix.jpg

Marantz 170 DC amp
Marantz 3250 preamp
Technics ST-9030 tuner (Doesn't match, but it's such a great tuner I don't really mind - other than it's deeper than the Marantz preamp, meaning the only way it would fit in the stack is to go inbetween the preamp and amp...thus why it's below jerry rigged on top of the TV - ugly but it works for now)

Still working on a replacement for that JVC CD player - it works fine but I'd like one that looks a little more - snazzy? A silver CD player would be nice, maybe a silver DVD player in a pinch. I do hate the black contrast with the silver, but I can live with it for now.

For the record the Adcoms sounded good to me, but I do so love the sound of this Marantz gear. The Adcom was like 22 pounds and 100 wpc, the Marantz is 80 wpc but feels like it's 28 pounds or so - noticeably heavier I recall when I carried it in and cleaned it up. I have the amp gains at the 12 o'clock position and with the preamp at 9 o'clock it's blasting.
I do so love the pretty lights, they look so nice in the dark:
crw2014.jpg

Too bad I can't switch the meters so they'll actually move, the levels I play at don't even make them move hardly at all. I have a nice NAD integrated amp + power amp I still haven't decided what I'm doing with yet and a Pioneer A27 Series 20 amp that I need to have repaired/restored - I don't want to sell it but I don't know where to use it either! :headscrat

I need a bigger room - which in thuscase means I need a bigger house...

Two beautiful amps. Its a shame you replaced the Adcom. I <3 my Adcom.

At 23 I suppose I'm at the older end of the scale...

Debut III -> Phono Box II -> Parasound PHP-850 -> McIntosh MC 30's -> Klipsch La Scalas

ozHBil.jpg

I have a Scott 355 in the works...

I'm 21

My computer system consists of:
Xonar Essence STX sound card
Sansui G-5000
Infinity Qb
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Premium 250ohm

Analog rig is
Technics SL-1400 with AT-110e
Technics SA-5460
Infinity Kappa 6

I've got a Sansui AU-999 that will be rotated in to the analog rig once I go pick it up from the repairman.

I've also got a Technics SL-D202 and Technics SU-V98 lying around not really doing anything. Oh, and the living room TV is sitting on a pair of Technics SB-CR33 speakers.

(click each for big)

+1 on the Xonar Essence soundcard.. i got one too.
Its expensive, but definetly the only card to add to a stereo setup worthy of the Hifi nut.

At 23 I suppose I'm at the older end of the scale...

Debut III -> Phono Box II -> Parasound PHP-850 -> McIntosh MC 30's -> Klipsch La Scalas

ozHBil.jpg

I have a Scott 355 in the works...

How on earth did you afford all that at 23? At 23 I was making a shade above minimum working as a bank teller before I headed off to graduate school!

-D

I am 22.

Speakers: Pioneer HPM-900, Realistic Mach 2
Preamp: Adcom gtp-350
Power amp: Kenwood KM-208
CD player: Denon dvd-1000

I have gone through about 12 different pairs of speakers and probably 8 different combinations of receivers, amps, preamps, cd players etc. I am happy with this setup for now...I have some OEM pioneer tweeters in the mail right now as the ones I got them with were blown so using some jamo replacements, can't wait to hear em how they are supposed to be heard. Don't have a camera otherwise I would shoot some pics.

I'm 19

In my first system I have
Sansui 881
PS1 for CDP
Polk Monitor 4A's
Triska DIY Subwoofer

In my second system I have
Pioneer Elite M-91
Pioneer Elite C-91
Pioneer Elite PD-91
Yamaha TX-850 tuner (I think that's the model number)
Design Acoustics PS-10's
Velodyne VA-1012

Tube system
DIY Dynakit ST-35
Adcom SLC-505 Passive Preamp
B&O Beogram turntable (gonna have to come back with the model number)
Music Hall phono stage
Cheap old pioneer CD changer
DIY 12" full rangers

Last, newest system for blowing your ears out
Crown XLS-402
NAD 1040 Preamp
Chinese Zero DAC (computer usually used as source, files ripped in WAV)
Cerwin Vega DX-5's
DIY ported sub with 12" AR driver

Back
Top Bottom