Young new members

Discussion in 'AK News' started by HarmanKardon, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

I should add one thought here--when I was getting into better audio, starting in my late teens, I wish I'd had forums to visit for information, news and opinions. We didn't have that. We had to make do with reading audio magazines to get the news and hands-on reviews, combined with trips to the audio stores in the area. (We were fortunate enough to have four or five great audio retailers all along one road--a Saturday afternoon trip driving up Woodward could land us at Tech HiFi, Absolute Sound, Almas, The Gramophone and Audio Dimensions.) Anyone just getting into audio now is far more informed than we ever were back then!

Bill Ferris likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. ryanward84

ryanward84 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm 33 and have been a subscriber on the site for a few of years. I got my start in vinyl and hi-fi when I noticed some Beatles, Stones and Neil Young LP's at my local thrift store in high school. This was the height of Napster and mp3s which was a musical awaking of it's own but there was something about the physicality of an LP that stirred something in me.

A friend gave me a cheap p mount Sony turntable and a handful of records and I was off and running. It wasn't until my late 20's that I realized I should upgrade my gear and I have enjoyed learning a lot about both vintage and modern hi-fi and settled on the nice sounding mid fi set up I have today. I love collecting and listening to LP's as well as CD's and streaming music! Thanks to AK I have found a wealth of info in one place inhabited by a lot of great contributors. Thanks!

Dude111, Wildcat and HarmanKardon like this.
  3. HarmanKardon

HarmanKardon Tubes still smell funny Subscriber

This thread is almost one year old, yet still alive. I would like to say thank you, folks, for your interesting comments.

Dude111 and Wildcat like this.
  4. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

I actually find it comforting (?) in a way that many listeners out there just like you are recognizing that audio equipment need not be the latest and greatest. Many get a lot of satisfaction out of, say, a Marantz or Yamaha receiver and an older Technics turntable, through a similarly aged pair of speakers. New also does not necessarily mean better.

For a lot of us here, also, buying used lets us buy further up the chain than what we could afford otherwise. I am running Conrad-Johnson components here that I could not even afford to look at if they were brand new. Through years of searching and bucketloads of patience, I got killer deals on both. And it's all sounding good right now. :)

Hyperion likes this.
  5. HarmanKardon

I wish that my generation (born around 1960) and the next one (born around 1990) are co-existing in as best possible harmony in this forum, a harmony based on bilateral respect - and always open for fruitful and fair bilateral criticism.

6. Gold Ant

Gold Ant New Member

well I'm just turning 40 and ive been into good quality hi fi since my early teens-vintage certainly is the way to go for exotic gear on a budget -I've picked up some really cool Kenwood power amps im still using plus an accuphase ampifier for $50 one time-had a Nad 3020 a rotel and quite a few others lol. Even though the pre amp side of things has really made some huge progress with DSP pre amp processing -marantz's audessy system i've found to be very cool for example- the power amp side hasn't advanced that much so if you combine the two new av amp with an old power amp for a fraction of what equivalent new power amps cost its a great way of getting the best performance for your money I love hunting for vintage gear too its fun :)

7. HackWhite

HackWhite I guess there's worse things to spend money on... Subscriber

I'm only 19 and I have a pretty big collection of audio gear... I've been bitten by the vintage HiFi bug haha.
    I'm glad to see other younger people are in this hobby too.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  8. Archguy

Archguy Official Roiurama Factory Rep Subscriber

Bears repeating. We're here to have friendly conversation about a topic we all enjoy. No reason to jump on people for something you personally dislike or to lecture newcomers that the 'information is out there'... Seeing something repeated isn't the end of the world. One great thing about AK is that there are always a hundred or more new threads or updates in the past hour if you don't like the one you're reading.

9. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad Subscriber

I think this is the way: Invite them to participate and behave in a civil manner when discussions, as they ineveitably develop, of everything from gear to music to favourite cars, cares and concerns ensue.

Falstaff, bandg69 and Wildcat like this.

10. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Aggie! Staff Member Admin Subscriber

Well said, good sir!

11. HarmanKardon

Members like you are the future of our community!

Beau Geste likes this.
  12. multichamp12

multichamp12 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I wish a lot of the younger generation was into vintage audio gear! I can say that after my friends heard my tubes and cornwalls, they became more interested! I'm 26 and started collecting vinyl at age 18, then working on tube equipment at 22.

HarmanKardon and Archguy like this.
  13. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad Subscriber

@ approximately 2x your age, it was the something about unphysicality and flexibility of digitally formatted media, ultimately FLAC, that stirred s.t. in me that LPs had long abandoned. Don't get mr worong: I still have a collection of 1,000s of LPs (well, also shellacs and 4RPMs counted among those), but the digital age has allowed me to expand the depth and scope of my musical exploration and acquisition tenfold. And nearly all of it @ lossless format. Guess I'm sayin' we old guys gotz plently to learn and gain from the younger set.

f0427ea and ryanward84 like this.
  14. Gold Ant

Gold Ant New Member

the flac format is pretty awesome i could not believe the sound quality improvement when I started using Jriver media centre instead of my dvd player for music

15. HarmanKardon

Explain to me what your comment has to do with the topic of this thread...

...no, better don't.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  16. Recognizer

Recognizer AK Subscriber Subscriber

29 years old here. I've been buying records since I was about 18 here and there. When I started I was looking for old Rush, Weather Report, and Black Sabbath. I didn't do anything with them for about 9 years, and a little under a year ago I befriended a guy with a HUGE record collection who inspired me to get back into it and finally get my own table.

I ordered an AT-LP60 on amazon and before it even got here I did a google search, found this site, and realized that I had made a huge mistake. So once it arrived I returned it without even opening the box. The rest is history. I haven't been into this hobby for a year and I already have a Mitsubishi LT-22, Denon DP-62L, about 10 cartridges, a Concept 5.5, Technics SA-R230, and some Definitive BP-2002's. I'm currently eyeing a used Technics SL-1200 M3D as well. Not to mention more records than I have space for. I wouldn't have any of this stuff, or the knowledge of how to set it up and clean it correctly, without these forums. There is so much knowledge here to soak up and I'm like a sponge. Here's to many more years of audio karma.

Are you really ragging on a new guy in this thread of all threads?

17. HarmanKardon

:idea:

Recognizer likes this.