Your fav detective on either screens?

Do The Avengers count? They certainly did many detectivy things.

This duo remains one of the classiest ever to hit the small screen -

6WUg9zq.jpg

Patrick MacNee as John Steed and Diana Rigg as Emma Peel! Wow, what a pair. Perfect chemistry between the two, and never flustered, no matter how dire the situation. A great show. Plus, Dianna Rigg was very easy on the eyes! One of the most beautiful T.V. actresses ever. :naughty:

Cheesy as he was, I was hooked on Hasselhoff as Michael Knight in Night Rider. It had more to do with the car than anything else. Somewhere between Bandit and Knight Rider i decided I had to have a Trans Am, and I did for a while.

Foyles War I thought was quite good and that guy could really size people up!
Bosch. He navigated through the pure scum of the earth, both on the streets of LA and Vegas as well as some of his fellow detectives, many who were not much better, yet he always maintained some integrity in a way even while binding a few rules. He was a Jazz head and had an interesting stereo that I never could really identify. His wife was a real looker too.. Of course it canceled after 2 years. Thanks amazon! :rant:

Last edited:
Yes! Fred Dryer played Hunter, though he'll always be Barney Badass in my mind.

And I do recall enjoying Prime Suspect 3 in those days.

I used to like Hunter - anyone remember that one ? Ex football pro, Fred someone, I think was the lead in it

As a Brit though, I am of course spoiled for choice when it comes to top class detectives. My faves would be the Prime Suspect series with Dame Helen Mirren in the lead role and A Touch Of Frost with the totally brilliant Sir David Jason in the lead role as Detective Inspector William 'Jack' Frost.

I will also add an honourable mention for a series I have been watching here in NZ called 'Sensing Murder'. I've always been a total sceptic of any spiritual world programs BUT - if this show is what they say it is, filmed with the psychic in isolation with no prior knowledge of the crime and only a photo or personal effects of the deceased to work with, then I'm seriously beginning to think there may be something in it after all.......

The Famous Five novels featured such quintessentially British titles such as 'Five go off in a caravan' which, if you have a particularly warped imagination, could be a completely different novel to the one written. Especially when subsequent titles such as 'Five have more fun together' were written...

http://www.enidblyton.net/famous-five/

Personally, I like a detective-type that comes with all the faults that come with being a human. One that doesn't take on 40 guys in a crowded room and lay them all out because of supernatural martial arts skills or the ability to take on at least four shooters with machine guns being able to shoot each of them, making head shots. Using a hand held auto hand gun!

I also like the type who has some basic flaw in this character, yet deals with it while struggling to cope with the problem at hand.

There also has to be a sense of decency to him that often sets him apart, but not "lily white" sometimes bending the rules when necessary. A flaw?

Anyways, my rant for the day. Some may want what I dislike, but different strokes for different folks. Not here to judge...just my preferences.

Q

Last edited:
Personally, I like a detective-type that comes with all the faults that come with being a human. One that doesn't take on 40 guys in a crowded room and lay them all out because of supernatural martial arts skills or the ability to take on at least four shooters with machine guns being able to shoot each of them, making head shots. Using a hand held auto hand gun!

I also like the type who has some basic flaw in this character, yet deals with it while struggling to cope with the problem at hand.

There also has to be a sense of decency to him that often sets him apart, but not "lily white" sometimes bending the rules when necessary. A flaw?

Anyways, my rant for the day. Some may want what I dislike, but different strokes for different folks. Not here to judge...just my preferences.

Q

I like your take on this. I would add: doesn't play the political game.

-Dave

Miami Vice ... Crockett & Tubbs ... maybe it was the 80's vibe or it just reminded me of US when I was living outside the country at the time ... really enjoyed the series.

Used to catch reruns of Ellery Queen on PBS.

Dad and I always enjoyed Mike Hammer and Riptide.

My mom loved Mat Houston with Lee Horsely.

Autographed photos, that's cool! I agree Peter Falk was a great actor. Always seemed to play likable characters. "The In Laws" is one of my favorite movies. "Serpentine Shel!"

-Dave

If you have never seen these Peter Falk is very good in Mikey and Nicky with John Cassavettes and in A woman under the Influence with Gina Rowlands.

One of the best and most popular genres we have.
As a big fan of the old PBS series Mystery!, and its follow on series Masterpiece Mystery.
So I am fan of some of the British and BBC characters.

For me the number one detective has to be Sherlock Holmes.
Sherlock Holmes as played by Basil Rathbone is my favorite.
Although when Jeremy Brett came along and played Sherlock I was very impressed.
I never thought anyone else could do as well. He did an excellent job too.

Then there is the one and only:
Horace Rumpole
In my mind one of the best characters in the British detective genre.
Although he was a British barrister at the “Old Bailey,” London's Central Criminal Court.
He was the classic underdog, fighting to find the truth to the crime in question.

And who can not mention Detective Chief Inspector Morse.

Women played great detectives too, such as Helen Mirren as Detective Jane Tennison.
How about Miss (Jane) Marple as played by the great Helen Hayes and great Angela Lansbury.

I’d need to mention:
Detective Inspector Edmund Reid.

Detective Aurelio Zen

A bit of Italy as we never see it.
Ok, the British version of Italy. Still it is fun to watch, which is the point after all.

Brother Cadfael
Great 12th century murder mystery series.

Hercule Poirot
Need I say more about Poirot?

We all have our favorite American detective or detectives.
Some very interesting characters here, which in my opinion is a requirement of the genre, an interesting quirky personality in the detective.

Sam Spade, the original American tough guy detective.

Mike Hammer. The more modern tough guy in the foot steps of Sam Spade.

Magnum.

Columbo.
Quirky, in his manner, in his rumpled coat, and funky car.

McCloud, an all American, tall in the saddle, upstanding, and sharp as a whip detective.

Jim Rockford, another all American, using his brains to catch the bad guys, and get through his life as best he can.

Harry Calahan, the classic, 70’s tough guy, as only Clint could play him.

Joe Friday, no nonsense, straight laced LA cop.
This at a time when the LA cops had some serious problems with their public image.

Jesse Stone, cool, quite, friendly, yet street wise, and sharp as they come.

Telly Savalas’ Kojak. Who loves ya baby?

As for foreign films how about some Chinese mystery, drama, and action?

Detective Dee
Kung Fu, action, adventure, mystery, great visuals, great period costumes. What more do you need?
Oh, this has inspired me to look into more Chinese, and Japanese and Korean mystery movies myself.

Lastly not exactly on the big screen or small screen, but on radio, The Shadow.
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"

Back
Top Bottom