your favourite music documentary's

luke85

so what are your favourite documentary's on artists/bands that you like ?, here my favourites so far

rolling stones: gimme shelter
bob dylan: dont look back
beatles anthology
the doors: when your strange
the doors:mr mojo risin
oasis:supersonic

"Who is Harry Nilsson and why is everybody talking about him?"

Since Harry never toured this documentary has many clips of him singing live.

I have been enjoying the Classic Albums documentary TV shows that play Weds on AXSTV -
they have been around a few years but some are pretty good. Some are available on DVD too!
My favorites are the ones where they have access to and play back the multitrack master recording,
they pot up different tracks in a song so you can hear all the details beneath the popular song ...

Not real impressed with Cream: Disreali Gears last week, but The Who: Who's Next this week was good.
I actually bought their Steely Dan: Aja documentary a few years back - highly recommended!

AXSTV ran a documentary Kansas: Miracles Out Of Nowhere back in the spring that was nicely done ...

I replaced my DVD with the Bluray version of The Band: Last Waltz this year - a nice improvement.

There is a documentary on the late Atlantic records studio Engineer Tom Dowd thats VERY worthwhile. Tom Dowd & the Language of Music
And I agree - really like the Muscle Shoals documentary too.

20 Foot from Stardom about the backup singers was also really well done.

Last edited:
51SED6Fhe2L.jpg

There is a documentary on the late Atlantic records studio Engineer Tom Dowd thats VERY worthwhile. Tom Dowd & the Language of Music

I had forgotten that one. A very interesting documentary that covers a lot of musical ground..

Another favorite: Brian Eno: 1971-1977 - The Man Who Fell to Earth.

-Dave

I had forgotten that one. A very interesting documentary that covers a lot of musical ground..

Another favorite: Brian Eno: 1971-1977 - The Man Who Fell to Earth.

-Dave

Great - free viewing with Amazon Prime - I'll check it out this weekend!

I rather enjoyed "It Might Get Loud" and probably should watch it again.

Note: I realize this could be viewed more as "Let's get three guitarists together and see what happens" and less as a documentary.

Do yourself a favour and go with a journey with Mark Knopfler and the bassist John Isley who takes him on a journey from the UK to new York with a collection of guitairs that shaped his sound over the years.

Eagle Rock Entertainment did a "Classic Albums" series some time ago which was really well done.

Two more

Metallica's Some Kind of Monster was more Spinal Tap than Spinal Tap

DIG! follows The Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols and for 7 of their early years and the love-hate relationship between the two bands. Won a Grand Jury Prize for documentaries at Sundance.

Festival Express

"In the summer of 1970, a chartered train crossed Canada carrying some of the world's greatest rock bands. The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, The Band, Buddy Guy, and others lived (and partied) together for five days, stopping in major cities along the way to play live concerts. Their journey was filmed."

Back
Top Bottom