Your greatest return in vinyl playback?

Way back in the 60's when I upgraded to A Thorens TT with Ortofon arm and SPU cartridge. In the last 10 years is when I discovered Dynavector 10X5 and then the 20 X 2. I started with a 10X4 which wasn't a bad decision either.

Way back in the 60's when I upgraded to A Thorens TT with Ortofon arm and SPU cartridge.

In the last 10 years is when I discovered Dynavector 10X5 and then the 20 X 2. I started with a 10X4 which wasn't a bad decision either.

Way back in the 60', I was in heaven when we got the Pioneer PL-6 rim drive turn table with the Pioneer 14 watt receiver and bookshelf speakers ( conical stylus). :biggrin:

All that remains are the speakers....

I didn't really pay all that much attention to head shells other than to make sure they were rigid and had azimuth adjustment if at all possible. I'm not sure if it fits the OP's criteria but I knew immediately that a Yamamoto cherry head shell greatly improved the sound of my Shelter cartridge. Others have noted a similar jump in sound quality when combined with other cartridges. I likened the improvement to moving up at least one cartridge level so it was a very cost effective $75. One caveat: This improvement occurred on my @marcmorin modified AR XB but it did not translate to my Jelco SA-750E/Technics SP-25. YMMV.

DSC_0651.jpg

I didn't really pay all that much attention to head shells other than to make sure they were rigid and had azimuth adjustment if at all possible. I'm not sure if it fits the OP's criteria but I knew immediately that a Yamamoto cherry head shell greatly improved the sound of my Shelter cartridge. ...........

View attachment 1340739

Different folks likely notice incremental improvements as having varying degrees of overall impact. The fact that you knew immediately the head shell was an improvement certainly fits within the discussion.

Interesting that you point out the head shell had a different effect on the Jelco.....these types of synergy are why one person's experiences may be difficult to replicate when applied to a less than exact copy of a situation. You may have been "happy" with the head shell on the Jelco, even if nothing new was revealed, but with the XB it was more. Even then, had the XB been stock and untouched, the results may not have been apparent.

I didn't really pay all that much attention to head shells other than to make sure they were rigid and had azimuth adjustment if at all possible. I'm not sure if it fits the OP's criteria but I knew immediately that a Yamamoto cherry head shell greatly improved the sound of my Shelter cartridge. Others have noted a similar jump in sound quality when combined with other cartridges. I likened the improvement to moving up at least one cartridge level so it was a very cost effective $75. One caveat: This improvement occurred on my @marcmorin modified AR XB but it did not translate to my Jelco SA-750E/Technics SP-25. YMMV.

View attachment 1340739

I would say that the result is more representative of what the XA is capable of versus the SP 25. You know my thoughts on that. :)

Cheers
Mister Pig

...Interesting that you point out the head shell had a different effect on the Jelco.....these types of synergy are why one person's experiences may be difficult to replicate when applied to a less than exact copy of a situation...

I would say that the result is more representative of what the XA is capable of versus the SP 25. You know my thoughts on that. :) Cheers Mister Pig

Just my opinion, but I think the cart/head shell performance difference on the two turntables was largely due to the different tonearms. The drive portion of the tables certainly contribute but the tonearms are sooooo different. But I had no doubt the cherry headshell improved the sound of the Shelter when on the XB and it was worth the cost. Is that because the XB arm has been modified? Well the arm tube and a wire change are necessary to allow SME type removable headshells on an AR so it is hard to tell. The XB arm also has improved bearings and damping material strategically placed inside the arm tube that may also contribute.

Now, another game changer: I've started using small capacitors on the secondary side of my SUT versus load resistors. For less than $10 I now have a much more natural sound. For lack of a better term, resistors seemed heavy-handed across the entire frequency range versus capacitors that seem to target the apparent high frequency rise of my MC cartridges. Loading this way isn't quite as big an improvement as the Yamamoto head shell it is but pretty close. See this thread for more info: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...ble-peak-capacitor-cure.838117/#post-11977444

A highly respected member with many posts suggests epiphanies have a price tag. There may certainly be a correlation, but it is not ironclad; and many upgrades as measured by dollars are incremental, not epiphanous.

I've just upgraded my entire vinyl front end by changing to a new tonearm. I say 'entire vinyl front end' because every cartridge I've tried so far is dramatically better — each cartridge, no matter how much I liked it before — is a new epiphany. This tonearm did not have high price tag yet made so profound a difference. Its cost was low because it was missing the cable: it used an odd, unobtainable connector. I devised a way around that, which cost very little, and now every cartridge and every favorite record is epiphanic.

Of course this is only IMO, YMMV and all that — and maybe my infatuation will fade. But I can't remember so transformative a change in my many years of seeking them.
You have to tell us what it is now after that nice description.

I knew of course the arm matters. I've had a long journey through arms, and several of the "super-arms", a term first coined I think for the Linn Ittok. I have an Ittok, and a Syrinx PU3 (better) now, and did have the SME 309 (not as good) and tried a few others. All are clearly better than most arms we're accustomed to. And I've heard some super-super-arms at friends and showrooms, but owning them/knowing them is the best way to judge, and in a system you know.

But the Odyssey is so far beyond them all I simply wasn't prepared for it. It's the old cliché: I want to play every record again to hear what they really sound like.

I've been using the same Techincs SL-QL1 for over 30 years. It had the original P-mount cartridge with a few replaced stylii over the years. I noticed not too long ago it was sounding less lively than it used to and someone here mentioned replacing the old Technics cart with a NOS AT450 which has a nude elliptical stylus. I found a seller on ebay who has a stash and he's selling them for $60 each, shipped. Took a minute to install after it arrived and it was literally a night and day difference. Say what you will about linear trackers but the SL-QL1 was one of Technics' best IMO (almost $500 in 1982). So that was my greatest return in vinyl playback. I suspect a great cartridge will do more with a mid-level table than a great table will do with a mid-level cart but I understand that's an arguable topic (aren't they all?? ;))

I know this answer isn’t really what the OP was asking - but my “greatest returns” are always when I find a somewhat obsure record and/or artist that I was previously unaware of - and that I really like.
Just picked up a really nice copy of John Fahey’s “The Voice Of The Turtle” for $1.99.
This one’s the early ‘70s reissue with the blue/gold dragon-strobe label. Diggin’ it!
Interesting stuff and a pretty nice return, me thinks. Now I want to hear others from John Fahey..

Attachments

• B732C636-8770-499C-A1B6-CCA3A151EA07.jpeg
    B732C636-8770-499C-A1B6-CCA3A151EA07.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 11
I know this answer isn’t really what the OP was asking - but my “greatest returns” are always when I find a somewhat obsure record and/or artist that I was previously unaware of - and that I really like.
Just picked up a really nice copy of John Fahey’s “The Voice Of The Turtle” for $1.99.
This one’s the early ‘70s reissue with the blue/gold dragon-strobe label. Diggin’ it!
Interesting stuff and a pretty nice return, me thinks. Now I want to hear others from John Fahey..

Your post reminds me of the first time I heard a UK Beatles LP after many years of US cuts...Wow!!! .
With many examples like that to follow, What ya' feed your table (and condition of) can be as dramatic as any gear change, IMO

Say what you will about linear trackers... I suspect a great cartridge will do more with a mid-level table than a great table will do with a mid-level cart but I understand that's an arguable topic...
I have an LT (Mitsubishi LT-22) and it's superb. It accepts all cartridge, not just P-mounts, and that lets me use very good MCs — and that verifies your second claim: no matter how "good" or "bad" the TT, a great cartridge will make it much much better.

Your post reminds me of the first time I heard a UK Beatles LP after many years of US cuts...Wow!!! .
With many examples like that to follow, What ya' feed your table (and condition of) can be as dramatic as any gear change, IMO

Absolutely - yes. I think my greatest return was in buying the best quality pressing of my favorite Cat Stevens album; the two record 45 rpm version of Tea For The Tillerman from Quality Record Pressings. While I have other excellent, original copies of it, their new one on two 45’s is simply amazing. I think it was money better spent than chasing down that perfect stylus, platter mat or phono pre. Money better spent than tube rolling in my preamp.

I have a NOS V15/IV with NOS HE stylus. Is the SAS that far superior? Were you able to compare?

Simply .... Yep! ... I have both the HE stylus (gave that to son-in-law cause the SAS was an incredible improvement in my opinion... my speakers are unforgiving if you know what I mean)

The Jico SAS I have is the earlier version that cost me about $100.... the current one is supposedly improved and twice the price.

I have an LT (Mitsubishi LT-22) and it's superb. It accepts all cartridge, not just P-mounts, and that lets me use very good MCs — and that verifies your second claim: no matter how "good" or "bad" the TT, a great cartridge will make it much much better.
I dont care what you say i am not installing a Koetsu on a Crosley. :)

Cheers
Mister Pig

Back
Top Bottom