Your Last Concert (or two)

In Vienna, at the Musikverrein, attended 2 performances by the Simon Bolivar Orchestra conducted by Gustavo Dudamel during a Beethoven Symphony Cycle. First evening were symphonies 3 & 4. Second evening symphonies 5 & 6. A fantastic experience in one of the world's finest symphonic concert venues. I'll never forget it.

Joe Ely & Alejandro Escovedo, on stage together. August 19, 2017, Ardmore Music Hall, Ardmore, PA.

Just the two of them with guitars. Escovedo acoustic, Ely acoustic and electric. They traded numbers, told some great stories in between, and pretty much sat there when it was the other's turn.

I've been an Ely fan for 40 years. He's probably 70 now and all gray, but that that soulful, resonant voice hasn't lost anything. He didn't do many of his big hits, but nobody cared.

I knew very little about Escovedo, but I'll be buying some of his music. His voice doesn't have the complexity of Ely's, but there is a real straightforward power to it.

The Ardmore Music Hall, just outside Philadelphia, is a small venue with good acoustics. The only downer all night was a herd of three or four loud-mouthed older couples who just would not shut up. I expect young people to be a little rude and self-absorbed in public. That's part of growing up, and I was sure guilty. And this room was basically a big bar, so some chatter and a little episodic hootin' and hollerin' is to be expected.

But by the time you hit your 50s, you ought to have mastered some basic manners and not spend the whole night bellowing at each other.

P.S. We had a great time at the local Tired Hands Brewery. They have a cozy pub at one end of the main street, a modern beer hall at the other, and some unusual brews.

August 19, 2017, McMenamins Edgefield, Troutdale OR

St Paul and the Broken Bones
Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue

September 1, 2017, McMenamins Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR

The Bottom Line
Set It Off
Simple Plan

The group Patent Pending was also on the bill but I'm not sure what slot they had. My apologies.

September 2, 2017, McMenamins Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR

The Talbott Brothers (local Portland OR band)
Johnnyswim

Sounded like a great show. I did not have a chance to see very much as I was working backstage.

September 9, 2017, McMenamins Edgefield, Troutdale OR

Chior! Chior! Chior!
Michael Franti & Spearhead - Live Out Loud Tour 2017

Last edited:
Went to see Sheryl Crow, Van Morrison and Willie Nelson last night in Hershey, PA. Fantastic! Van was a bucket list. Been waiting for him to come to the states for a while. Last time he was in NYC were away on vacation.

Saturday 09/09/2017 Roger Waters - Us & Them Tour. Key Bank Arena, Buffalo NY.
Floor seats in the middle. Fantastic show except for the politics, I could have done without that but I know that's part of his deal.

April last year, The Who in Minneapolis Target Center. . I read afterwards that their set was set. The old farts didn't even do an encore. And why no Magic Bus? I'm still po'd that I have yet to wear the $42 tshirt I bought. And Daltry sounded weak.

April last year, The Who in Minneapolis Target Center. . I read afterwards that their set was set. The old farts didn't even do an encore. And why no Magic Bus? I'm still po'd that I have yet to wear the $42 tshirt I bought. And Daltry sounded weak.

What did you expect? They're old. They were already shot when they did the Stupor Bowl halftime show a few years ago.

It's awful to say, but I'm kind of glad Allman, Vaughn, and Hendrix died young.

Went to see Sheryl Crow, Van Morrison and Willie Nelson last night in Hershey, PA. Fantastic! Van was a bucket list. Been waiting for him to come to the states for a while. Last time he was in NYC were away on vacation.

WOW - I googled it and found "The concert was Morrison's lone East Coast date in 2017 and marked the first time the singer and Nelson have shared the stage."
Sounds VERY cool!! Kudos!

No Moon, No Ox - it ain't even the Who anymore!!
Could be interesting for what it is, but as long as its hyped as The Who, I'll pass

Yea that type of hard driving rock just isn't sustainable to play into old age. I go see older bands but only the more mellow stuff which i prefer in my "old age" anyway. It's like playing football vs. tennis.

Back
Top Bottom