Your Last Concert (or two)

March 20, 2018 - The Waiting Room Lounge, Omaha NE

The Mastersons
Steve Earle & The Dukes

The Mastersonsare the husband/wife duo or Chris Masterson and Eleanor Whitmore. They opened for Steve and performed in his backing band. Whitmore is one helluva fiddle player and a great singer. Masterson is a good guitarist, and I think he writes most of their stuff. One highlight for me was their song "Don't Tell Me To Smile".

This tour by Steve & The Dukes is celebrating the 30th anniversary of the release of his album "Copperhead Road" - which they play from start to finish as the first part of the show. I don't know how many times they've performed the album on this tour - but it had a slightly "phoned in" feeling, like they were just going through the motions a bit. Still - they are a professional group and did a good job. I'd like to see a show where they aren't completely tied to one of his old albums and they could just let it rip.

I always The Waiting Room, it's a small venue - probably less than 500 people can get in. It seemed like there were twice that many at this show as the place was packed to the gills. That meant almost all the seating was taken out, and the first thirty people or so in the door got the seats. I was about 40th in line, so had to stand for the whole show. I'm guess I'm getting too old for this shit...

March 30, 2018, McMenamins Mission Theater, Portland OR

Chris Couch & Evan Malfer of World's Finest
Ghost Light

This tour has been selling out all along the west coast. As it was tonight. One more date out here and they head east.

New group, no album, two sets.

Set 1:
Come Apart (title unconfirmed)
Diamond Eyes
Synth Driver

Set 2:
Streets of Brooklyn >
Keep On Growing
untitled (D Riff) >
untitled (Instrumental #1) >
untitled (D Riff)
Isosceles *
I Dare You >
Tennesse Jed >
I Dare You

E: Nickels & Dimes

*w/ untitled (D Riff) tease

Last edited:
Loreena Mckennitt and Dougie MacLean(separate concerts) in Columbus Ohio 2017, if memory serves.

Last edited:
k.d. lang at Strathmore Music Center in N. Bethesda, MD. She played Ingenue in its entirety followed by 7-8 more songs, including Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah (good enough to bring tears to your eyes). She was in fine voice and had an excellent band with her.

March 31, 2018, McMenamins Mission Theater, Portland OR

Garcia Birthday Band with the Lions Den Horns. 2 sets.

Good but kind of a let down after last nights extended jams.

April 2, 2018, McMenamins Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR

Diarrhea Planet (I don't make these up, they were pretty good, 4 guitars, bass, and drums)
The Darkness

Strange things about this show. Saw a lot of Thin Lizzy references. One guy in the opening act had a TL tour shirt from the 70's. Headliners have TL stuff also. And the pre-show mix tape had some TL on it.

Last edited:
March 20, 2018 - The Waiting Room Lounge, Omaha NE

The Mastersons
Steve Earle & The Dukes

The Mastersonsare the husband/wife duo or Chris Masterson and Eleanor Whitmore. They opened for Steve and performed in his backing band. Whitmore is one helluva fiddle player and a great singer. Masterson is a good guitarist, and I think he writes most of their stuff. One highlight for me was their song "Don't Tell Me To Smile".

This tour by Steve & The Dukes is celebrating the 30th anniversary of the release of his album "Copperhead Road" - which they play from start to finish as the first part of the show. I don't know how many times they've performed the album on this tour - but it had a slightly "phoned in" feeling, like they were just going through the motions a bit. Still - they are a professional group and did a good job. I'd like to see a show where they aren't completely tied to one of his old albums and they could just let it rip.

I always The Waiting Room, it's a small venue - probably less than 500 people can get in. It seemed like there were twice that many at this show as the place was packed to the gills. That meant almost all the seating was taken out, and the first thirty people or so in the door got the seats. I was about 40th in line, so had to stand for the whole show. I'm guess I'm getting too old for this shit...

Just worked a show the Mastersons opened for.

I need some Steve Earl out my way. It's been a few years and he has released so much good stuff.

I work a venue that has 60 reserved seats in the mezzanine. Those fill first, so get there early if you want a seat.

Just worked a show the Mastersons opened for.

I need some Steve Earl out my way. It's been a few years and he has released so much good stuff.

I work a venue that has 60 reserved seats in the mezzanine. Those fill first, so get there early if you want a seat.
EVERYONE needs some Steve Earle once in a while. Some just don't know it yet. Saw him solo a few years ago, and missed a show last year with the Dukes. It was good to catch the full band.

What did you think of The Mastersons? I thought Chris worked awfully hard to get the crowd going, but it just didn't get through. Eleanor clicked with everyone really easily - she's WAY talented. Great fiddle and a very good voice.

Wooden Leg at Sally Obrien's Somerville.

If you've never heard of them you're in the majority. Great band. Jimmy Ryan on mandolin, Micky Bones on drums, Joey Kessler on fiddle and Brian Dunton on bass.

Great band that gets together once or twice a year. Hillbilly Rock n Roll.

The last two music events I covered for the newspaper:
A few minutes of the conclusion of this piece by a new orchestra made up of members of the Met Opera Orch, NYP, Julliard students, NJ Symphony Orch., and a few talented 'semi-pro' amateurs. At Montclair State University.
And a Patti Smith/Lenny Kaye concert and reading of Smith’s book, “Devotion,” at the close of the Montclair Literary Festival, in The First Congregational Church. https://www.facebook.com/pg/montclairlocal/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1219938118142521

Last edited:
Joshua Bell 3/4/2018 at Wigmore Hall in London.

Colorado Symphony 3/18/2018
Chinese pianist Zizi playing Rachmaninoff Concerto #2. Also Shostakovich symphony #11.

April 7, 2018, McMenamins White Eagle Saloon & Hotel, Portland OR

Wasted Words (Allman Brothers cover band from Seattle WA.) First show in Portland OR. Two sets.

I enjoyed it! Some male and female vocals was different, but sounded great.

Saw Buddy Guy in Reno, two weeks ago. Charlie Daniels end of the month. And REO, late next month.

Wanted to share this. Last summer we went to South Tahoe, for an Eric Burden show. I've been to hundreds of concerts thruout my life. Eric blew the place apart. Killer concert, in fact I'd have to rate it one of the best shows I've ever seen.

The guy just nailed it!.

O yea, Buddy Guy at 81, kicked butt , aswell

Dirk

My wife and I would regularly catch the Paul Weller tour when it got to Los Angeles (we live 100 miles away). Missed the last go around due to bad timing. We get a ton of great shows here where I live but ticket prices are obscene, venues small and sell out and then scalpers have their way. Face value is $75 or more and then multiples of that in after market.

Wanted to share this. Last summer we went to South Tahoe, for an Eric Burden show. I've been to hundreds of concerts thruout my life. Eric blew the place apart. Killer concert, in fact I'd have to rate it one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I think he's got a young bunch of jam band guys in his band. If I remember right the keyboard player is from Particle, Steve Molitz.

4-8-18....caught Buddy Guy & Jimmie Vaughn & the Tilt-A-Wirl band at the AU-RENE Theater in Ft. Lauderdale,Fl...nice show....but i miss those tube mixing boards....harsh treble with the digital board....

April 10, 2018, McMenamins Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR

Post Pink
The Breeders

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom