Your opinion - members only?

This certainly isn't my AKFest gathering here...so it's not for me to decide (obviously)

I've been to several audio meetings...not one of them had people coming in off the streets...and not one of them was a closed invite only gathering.

I'm fine with a decision either way...I'd just like to know.

take care>>>>

To explain my position.....

I just thought AK members(and their friends), I guess when I first saw the thread start out it would be a chance to meet some of the great people that I converse with here. I already feel guilty that this has grown so big and I invited myself without being asked. We can always have another gathering somewhere afterwards where we could invite the public. I wish I could figure out how to pull something like this off in Columbus, Ohio. But alas, I am better at thinking than doing! :dunno:
Regards, Ron

Re: To explain my position.....

Originally posted by spkrman57
I just thought AK members(and their friends), I guess when I first saw the thread start out it would be a chance to meet some of the great people that I converse with here. I already feel guilty that this has grown so big and I invited myself without being asked. We can always have another gathering somewhere afterwards where we could invite the public. I wish I could figure out how to pull something like this off in Columbus, Ohio. But alas, I am better at thinking than doing! :dunno:
Regards, Ron

party at Grumpy's house sounds good ta me ;) :drunk: <---me

I'm not quite sure what this turned into... :dunno:

GF

No need to worry bout Sales people and the likes. Was there some folks that ya had in mind to invite GF ?

As for what its become well its still what i intended it to be which is a gathering of members and gear.

Honestly i don't mind if others attend.

Dave

Originally posted by grumpy
GF

As for what its become well its still what i intended it to be which is a gathering of members and gear.

Dave

If thats what Grump says goes...then I'm up with that..... :)

Hi grump...As for the gear...If I've got the right days off...and there is enough room. I was thinking of bringing my system. But if there's already going to be enough gear there...I wouldn't bother.

Dave

cool :)

i hope my days off work out...sounds like a great time.

Grump...thanks for hosting this...and all the troubles your going thru. Are you going to have a donation jar...or something??? I'd hate to see one person have to flip the bill...I'd be willing to donate a little to the cause...wether I go or not.

thanks!

Hi guys. Told myself I wouldn’t post to the list anymore but since I will be going to AK/Grumpfest and have enjoyed the last 2 MAF’s so much, I thought I’d comment.

A “swap” table is a great idea although coming over the border from Canada really limits what I can bring or return with but who knows, maybe I’ll see something I can’t resist (tubes, amp parts, etc). I’d love to scout out some vinyl while in Michigan, which probably has nothing to do with the AK meet, but I’m sure Grump can point me in the right direction.

A room dedicated to low power tubes and hi-eff. speakers would be fantastic for me, as that was the thing that drew me all the way to Lima these last few years - having some vinyl in there as well might be asking for too much! :) . A “Bottlehead” room as Wardsweb mentioned might be what I am talking about here but tagging it with a particular vendor’s handle might falsely (?) limit it’s scope – at least it may have that perception.

I’ll probably travel down with friends, both AK members (Rob?) and possibly others so I suppose I wouldn’t be in favor of limiting attendance to AK people only. Some kind of connection to an AK member might be a good idea but I don’t know how you could control this. As far as arrogant, self righteous individuals go, limiting attendance to only AK members certainly does not guarantee there won’t be any of them around. I think we all (me in particular) have to get used to the fact that audio is rotten with these types and to each there own, relax and enjoy. The presence of a few self appointed audio Gods never stopped me from enjoying the last 2 MAF’s.

I also wanted to thank Grump for getting this started – after the untimely death of MAF, I figured I’d never get the chance to attend a fun event like this again short of booking a flight somewhere. Really looking forward to listening to music, talking audio and tipping a few beers with you guys!

Keep me posted on hotel info Grump, I’ll be spending a few nights there.

Bill

Good One

As far as arrogant, self righteous individuals go, limiting attendance to only AK members certainly does not guarantee there won’t be any of them around.
:lmao: :para: :lmao: MikE

As far as arrogant, self righteous individuals go, limiting attendance to only AK members certainly does not guarantee there won’t be any of them around.

That's true, but there are plenty of folk that frequent this forum that will be humble enough to set up my throne and give me the welcome I so richly deserve.

Swap table is a good thing

This is just a thought, so don't shoot me if it ain't worth s**t!, why not have a percentage of the swap table go to the host and Ak forum. I am planning on bringing some things up (weather permitting) and would like to donate say 15% to the event. Plus, I just might see something out there I like and take home more than I came with!

So don't shoot me, just give me your opinions!!!

Ron

:dunno:

We won't require anyone to give outright, but if anyone feels a need to donate something, it would be used to help offset the cost of the hotel. I think I'll make a donation thread.

Voluntary donations - Sounds like a plan!

Would be nice if the AK members submitted a wish-list, would make it easier to decide what to bring for the swap!!!
Ron

I say let them all come. If they get out of line they can be asked to leave ! Most people act pretty reasonable in person. I have never seen any major problems at any audio get together I have ever attended.

Craig

There seems to be some concern about problems that could be cause by having "nonmembers" at the event causing problems assocated with the demo gear that is going to be in the different listening rooms.......I do understand those concerns and maybe allowing "non-members" to attend but somehow "roping off" the area in each listening room where the "demo" gear will be and only allowing the owners of the "demo" gear in the roped off area. This would require some sort of ID Tag (maybe a different color for each room or a seperate color for members who are bringing gear to demo (this would have to be set-up in advance but would be worth the trouble I think). I am sure that those that have demo gear at the event will not want to stay in that room all the time to keep an eye on thier "stuff". We all are going to want to move around. Maybe ask for volunteers to take a shift in the different listening rooms to keep an eye on things.
Don't really know if other get togethers of this sort in other states have had problems, maybe I am just an alarmist, but anyway I would be willing to help out.....Maybe have a "pre-event volunteer meeting".

Greg in Ann Arbor

PS: Probably the same sort of thing for a swapmeet area if you decide to have one.......

Back
Top Bottom