Your opinion on a cd player

bill1956

A little help! your opinions count and i need help picking out a cd player. I have about $350.00 new/used doesnt matter would prefer something silver but not a must. I listen to country and rock mostly. opinions please. THANKS

Im maxing out at the $350.00 and really will only be useing it for two channel. I dont even have a tv in the same room. Not that i would care if it played dvd as well. As long as the cd player portion did not sacrifice for that feature.

Maybe a Marantz CD5004? I have a CD5003 and it is a fine unit, but I think they discontinued it and replaced it with the CD5004.

Look for a used Cambridge Audio 640 C V2 in silver.

I'll second the Cambridge Audio recommendation. I recently purchased a 740C and I'm very pleased with the audio quality and design of the player. I went 740 over 640 because I wanted the two extra digital inputs but I believe the 640c uses the same Wolfson codec as the 740c. The silver color also means that the CD player goes well with my vintage stereo components all of which have silver face plates.

I've bought factory refurbished units from them. Not a problem considering the manufacturer has corrected any problems. There's piece of mind knowing its been gone over by manufacturer and has a factory warrantee.

some interesting recommendations here. i was especially intrigued by the linked Yamaha bd-a1060 aventage. does anybody have experience with that unit?
others here have probably purchased more electronics than i have
but i would think factory refurb units from a brand authorized dealer (at least that was the claim for the Yamaha and Marantz units) with a warranty and extended warranty options is less risky than getting 2nd hand units on eBay from "some guy".
i'm in the exact same boat as bill and have read a few threads with recommendations.
a lot of the responses suggest new units (or refurbs). i always figured the best bang/buck would be getting pre-owned high quality units that were say 5-10 years old, maybe even some late 90s gear. is the reliability such that this is really not the way to go anymore?

Back
Top Bottom