Your prefered vinyl database method?

Your prefered vinyl database method?

• I keep it all in my head. I know what I have.

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • I have a fair knowledge. Enjoy the flick for forgotten

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • I have a hand written book with all my records

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use excel

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • I use discogs

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • I use rateyourmusic

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Another method (Please say what and why)

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bhundu

Addicted Member
My first posted poll so hopefully it will work. Edit: Looks all good!

To make it clear, it's not how we store or organise our physical record collection. It's about taking note of what's in our collection, through memory, method or digital and/or hardcopy catalogues.

Also it is vinyl specific. If using barcode readers, please add to the last option.

Options being:

I keep in all in my head. I know what I have.

I have a general idea of what I have, but enjoy the flick through for the forgotten

I keep a hand written notebook

I keep it on an excel file

I use discogs

I use rateyourmusic

I use another method (please explain why)

Sorry if I didn't make your method a more specific choice. If so please tell us your option and why in the posts.

I would have made an option for "None" but it's more guided towards those that do have one particular method as opposed to another.

Last edited:
I actually wrote my own software to keep track of my records... Programming is one of my many hobbies, so I figured that it would be a fun way to marry two of my hobbies to some extent :).

I like to walk a fine line between, "I think I have that" and "I used to have that"

or

"when did I get that?" and "where is that?"

"do I have a CD or a LP?" or "why did I buy another copy of that"

I like to walk a fine line between, "I think I have that" and "I used to have that"

or

"when did I get that?" and "where is that?"

"do I have a CD or a LP?" or "why did I buy another copy of that"

Hoping to see you here Spidey. Any player of The Name that Album Thread is most valuable in this.

And I'm rather much like yourself, hence the need for a suitable database.

Recently I'm "I have that, but it's a great record so I'm buying it just in case it might be better than what I have and even not....it's a great record!"

I use Excell, after I tossed over 300 LP's in the trash I entered the ones I kept.
I'll do my CD's this winter.

Wow...I just voted and the poll said I already cast my vote....Jeezzz I Don't even remember. :scratch2:

I guess that negates my prior vote for "I keep it all in my head. I know what I have" :sigh:

I use Music Collectorz (collectorz.com) for my CDs and LPs. Pretty easy to enter albums into the db by searching and pulling the album info and cover art in.
It also syncs wirelessly with my iPhone so when I'm in a store looking at records I can see if I have it already.

I know what i have and i know where it is. But I don't store it in any real order or track it externally.

For the couple decades that i only had around 300 LPs, they were stored in alphabetical order by performer.

In the last two years my collection has grown to over 2000 LPs and I have not taken the time to file them in any real order let alone catalog them.

I can still find anything I'm looking for though. And I've never wondered when browsing stores and flea markets if I have a specific title already.

So although I'd like to alphabetize the collection at some point, I don't have the need or the time to catalog them externally. That seems to me to be a bit redundant (not to mention repetitive if I could mention that without repeating myself twice or not).

I know what i have and i know where it is. But I don't store it in any real order or track it externally.

For the couple decades that i only had around 300 LPs, they were stored in alphabetical order by performer.

In the last two years my collection has grown to over 2000 LPs and I have not taken the time to file them in any real order let alone catalog them.

I can still find anything I'm looking for though. And I've never wondered when browsing stores and flea markets if I have a specific title already.

So although I'd like to alphabetize the collection at some point, I don't have the need or the time to catalog them externally. That seems to me to be a bit redundant (not to mention repetitive if I could mention that without repeating myself twice or not).

That's very valid Brett. It does come down to time. Thanks for contributing!

I use ReaderwareAW for LPs, CDs, and tapes. Imports data from a number of sources or enter manually. I can export a limited data list to my Palm to use at record shows, thrifts, and garage sales.

I use OrangeCD. It has lots of fields that you can use or not use. You can add either manually, from a CD, Amazon, discogs, or collectorz. Plus, you can publish the database to the racksandtags website so you can check with a data phone if you are not sure what you have while at a store.

www.firetongue.com

My database is at www.racksandtags.com/markstunes

You can also scan bar codes with OrangeCD. I use a Mac as well, but run parallels software to also run windows for OrangeCD.

Back
Top Bottom