Your Rib Recipes

I do not have a smoker anymore ,but for a dry rub I use "Jane's crazy mixed up pepper" that has been my go to seasoning for a while now. I do stay from time to time but always go back.

Sometimes bbq goes great, sometimes it doesn't.

Since you have a new rig, it may take a couple of smokes to season your smoker.

Also, did you verify what the temp was at the cooking spot? You can get all sorts of remote thermometers to monitor the cooker and the meat.

Maybe the temp wasn't where you thought it was.

Sometimes it's the pigs fault - maybe you just got poor quality ribs.

If you do wrap, you do have to wrap it up tight. I use two layers of heavy duty foil and get consistent results.

Keep at it. I'm still trying to get my briskets to turn out moist and tender - that's the hardest cut to bbq right, imo.

Ribs, pork butt, beef ribs - got it down. Brisket? Still at it.

Also, take notes so that you remember what went right or wrong for each cook so you can make adjustments until you find that sweet spot for your rig.

When you get that brisket figured out you can tackle the king of the grill. Pork belly............. Add this as a side to any BBQ and it will be the talk of the night.

^ ^ ^

I would think that the way a person likes their ribs done is a personal matter. A friend of mine likes his dry and chewy. I like mine falling off the bone. You like yours another way. Is any one of us right?
This is exactly why they make different colored toothbrushes.

dang it...I shouldn't have come in here. Now I need to stop by a few places after work.
I don't know why I stopped here either. All you guys ever do is just make me verrrrrrry hungry.
Tox, I read somewhere that using a water pan not only helps keep the meat moist but actually helps it absorb more of the smoke flavor.
I smoke mine for about 3 hours at low heat than wrap it tight in foil with a bit of liquid (sauce works nicely) and let it braise at 225 till tender.
Than I finish off on the grill at a higher temp to firm up the meat a bit using the sauce from the ribs and/or BBQ sauce for basting. I don't go a full hour, just till it's lightly charred and done to my liking.

I smoke mine for about 3 hours at low heat than wrap it tight in foil with a bit of liquid (sauce works nicely) and let it braise at 225 till tender.
Than I finish off on the grill at a higher temp to firm up the meat a bit using the sauce from the ribs and/or BBQ sauce for basting. I don't go a full hour, just till it's lightly charred and done to my liking.

I do mine in similar way, but start with higher heat for about half an hour just with dry rub, wrap 'em in foil for a few hours at lower temp, and then finish up unwrapped with sauce at high temp again just for 10-15 mins.

I'm not a huge fan of "fall off the bone" tender either like some of you. I like to rip the meat off with my teeth. :)

I do mine in similar way, but start with higher heat for about half an hour just with dry rub, wrap 'em in foil for a few hours at lower temp, and then finish up unwrapped with sauce at high temp again just for 10-15 mins.

I'm not a huge fan of "fall off the bone" tender either like some of you. I like to rip the meat off with my teeth. :)
I can change your mind.

Well I had some more of these last night and they were not too bad! I think they just need a bit more time and a water pan. I think I'll also boost up the temp from 225 to 250 maybe for the middle 'foil' section of the cooking. I think that will do it. Meantime I have vac-packed rib portions in the freezer for me and the missus. :thumbsup:

Pork belly... I just don't get the appeal of a hunk of phat. But to each his own. I'll defend unto the death your right to eat it. :beerchug:

Well I had some more of these last night and they were not too bad! I think they just need a bit more time and a water pan. I think I'll also boost up the temp from 225 to 250 maybe for the middle 'foil' section of the cooking. I think that will do it. Meantime I have vac-packed rib portions in the freezer for me and the missus. :thumbsup:

Pork belly... I just don't get the appeal of a hunk of phat. But to each his own. I'll defend unto the death your right to eat it. :beerchug:

Optimum rib cooking temp is 240. Variances for the ribs themselves which you don't always know till it's done but 4-5 hours if kept steady and as some here said a bounce or just a pair of tongs tells the tale. Bottom line in this and most other cooking is to render the fat out to perfection. Too much fat left it is tough. Too little it is over done/dry. When wrapping in foil you can see the fat. it all depends on the time of year weather or not I use foil. Summertime not so much. Each cook is different and adjustments must be made for the meat and for mistakes.

Brisket is it's own animal as it is not pork. Beef takes a lot longer to render the fat. No getting around it. If you have created a good bark wrap it up and watch the fat come out. Internal temp is deceiving. it takes time. 240

Porkbelly if I have to explain you would not understand. Done right the flavor is unforgettable. Pork Rules and bacon IS the duct tape of the kitchen. Cost-co has the best deal on Pork bellies and recipes are all over youtube but I have not seen many for the grill. Basically rub the meat side. Course salt the fat side. (dont be afraid). indirect grill fat side up for 3 hours with smoke. Place on piece of cardboard and wrap in foil. Cook till it falls apart, bout 5 hours, 240
Costco has a whole belli for about 30 dollars. cut it in half and experiment. goes good with any beer you have. and music of course

I have not even seen a hunk of pork belly in the stores I frequent. Odd since this is pork country (much cheaper than beef here). Maybe in the high end grocery that I don't get to much. We don't even have a Costco mainly because this town of 150k has a Walmart family heir and there are 3, count em, THREE Walmart Supercenters dominating everything.

Anyway I would try it if you made it man. :bigok:

I have not even seen a hunk of pork belly in the stores I frequent. Odd since this is pork country (much cheaper than beef here). Maybe in the high end grocery that I don't get to much. We don't even have a Costco mainly because this town of 150k has a Walmart family heir and there are 3, count em, THREE Walmart Supercenters dominating everything.

Anyway I would try it if you made it man. :bigok:
You can most likely put in a order for whole pork belly but they will upcharge. Everyone has it. They make bacon.

I did not really know it was the same cut as bacon. Duh. I feel like I should have. I bet my Lucky's store would sell it, they make in-house smoked meats - sausage, turkey, bacon etc. So they must have raw pork belly if that's what they make the bacon out of. Their stuff is great - I bought some heavily smoked and very spicy Andouille sausage and put it in a gumbo, and boy did it have some great flavor.

Keep in mind for your purchase that a whole pork belly is big. Maybe go to costco and look at theirs to get a idea beforebuying from smaller shop. My small shop cuts up.

20160117_182853.jpg 20160117_182911.jpg

When I fire up the grill, about five nights a week lol, I usually make the whole meal. The pan in the picture was only used to transport the grindage into the house.

I use my own proprietary dry rub, throw the ribs on the grill on high first bone side down, then flip. After a nice crust is on both sides sealing in the juices I turn the temp down to about 375 and use indirect heat for about an hour, again bone down.

At this point if I want my ribs messy I coat them with Sweet Baby Ray's, wrap with foil and give them another 30 minutes. The BBQ sauce is optional, the foil wrap gets that "fall off the bone tenderness", if you like biting the meat off then forget the foil.

I've been making 1.5hr ribs for yrs, many say it can't be done, I say BS.

Last edited:
Some other recent meals made on the grill.

Pork Tenderloin
FB_IMG_1526183098487.jpg

Ribeye surf & turf
FB_IMG_1526183017817.jpg

Spiral sliced ham
FB_IMG_1526183085074.jpg

Babybacks again
FB_IMG_1526183036207.jpg
FB_IMG_1526183054027.jpg

Filet mignon
20180506_180053.jpg

Mahi Mahi
20180605_183133.jpg

Haddock
20180510_185410.jpg

Red Snapper
20180520_180454.jpg

Mess o chicken legs lol
20180528_182003.jpg

Last edited:
Just to toss this on the pile, my rub consists of fine ground espresso bean, unsweetened cocoa powder, granulated garlic, salt, pepper chili powder (I use ancho, but you can use whatever depending on the of level of heat you like), and DARK brown sugar (much higher molasses content than light). If you like a little bit "crunchy" texture for the skin on chicken or turkey, add a little corn starch to the dry rub.

I steam mine in a covered pan with just barely enough water to keep the bottom of the pan covered (either on the grill or in the oven) for about an hour, then onto the smoker grill for a couple (3-4 more hours).

Back
Top Bottom