Your Rib Recipes

Seems like everyone has a slightly different method that works great for them, and notice no one has brought up the dirty P-word.
Anytime someone brings it up I ask them "would you parboil Filet Mignon?"

I adapted a few pointers from pitmaster Harry Soo and have been doing my ribs at 275°F. Smoke until the bark sets (90-120 minutes), foil for a while to make them tender, then unfoil and reset the bark. Weber Smoky Mountain, 18", Kingsford "blue" briquettes with chunks of apple wood. I use a DigiQ temperature regulator, so all I have to do is set it and forget it in terms of keeping the temperature constant. I usually go at 'em about five hours and they're done to our liking.

Harry Soo suggests brushing on a very thin coat of yellow mustard to help the rub stick to the meat, and to let them sit for a half hour before smoking. (I do this anyway, after getting the membrane off.) I make my own rub here out of various spices, basically whatever I'm feeling at the moment. ;)

We prefer the baby back ribs here, but I still have a rack of spare ribs in the freezer I want to experiment with. :) Pork shoulders take a long time on the smoker--sometimes as much as 18 hours. I may foil the shoulder next time to help it through the stall, and cut the smoking time. One load of coals and wood chunks will do a shoulder for up to 19 hours, I've found. The DigiQ regulates the heat well enough that heat is maximized and fuel waste is minimized (which surprised me, as I thought the fan blowing onto the briquettes would make them burn out sooner).

I've been meaning to try a chuck roast, to make pulled (shredded) beef for tacos and burritos.

Chuck roast! What a great idea. I remember when (in the 70s and 80s) you could get a huge round hunk of chuck about 1-1/2" thick or more, for like 79-99 cents a lb. Chuck arm roast, I think it's called, technically. With a round bone in the center. Those days are gone - not only the price, but I don't even see that cut anymore. The stuff I see labeled 'chuck' looks like scraps that would go into the grinder. For a price we used to get steak for. Ah well, I don't eat much beef anymore. :dunno:

Saw the mustard coating thing in a YT video, glad to hear someone tried and liked it.

The mustard coating has to be really thin, or it just sits there soggy and doesn't set into bark easily. I would just barely put a coat of mustard on there. Or if the meat is still damp enough, the rub will stick on its own anyway. As for the flavor of the mustard, you can't even taste it once it's been through the smoker.

I'm lucky in that if I really wanted a different cut of meat, all I would have to do is head down to one of the packing houses at Eastern Market and tell them what I want. And the price is often better than what the local markets charge. It's just having to actually go downtown and deal with all the problems down there, that keeps me away...

I don't pat my ribs too awful dry to begin with so the rub sticks pretty well. I don't really rub it, just shake it on heavily and smash it straight down, then let it rest a few minutes to stick. I don't get it super thick that way but the ribs taste good so it's probably enough.

That's true--it is easy to over-season the ribs. I've done that once or twice and the seasoning was too overbearing for me. I just mash down the seasonings also, and they stay put. :thumbsup:

Soak in red wine overnight in Tupperware, dry rub, homemade B.B.Q. sauce made from brown sugar, French’s mustard, Heinz catchup....and a little bit of Sriracha when you turn them over. Indirect heat with soaked mesquite thrown on top of the charcoal...

I've decided I'm never cooking ribs again. Not ever. I'm gonna sell all my grills to make sure I don't. Yeah! That's what I'm gonna do.

I've decided I'm never cooking ribs again. Not ever. I'm gonna sell all my grills to make sure I don't. Yeah! That's what I'm gonna do.

Someone needs to get over to Jim's house ASAP. He sounds feverish! ;)

-Dave

Last edited:
There are plenty of us here you could mooch a rack or two of ribs from, I'm sure. :D

Dude they're going to kick you out of North Carolina for talking like that. Maybe South Carolina too. Tell them you're sick. Tell them you haven't had enough Carolina BBQ lately. They'll have sympathy and feed you I bet. And don't joke about BBQ!

Got back from my specialty butcher today with some gorgeous baby back ribs.

2 full racks cut in half for easier placement on my WSM.

Back membrane peeled off, rubbed down with some canola oil and dusted with my homemade rub.

All prepped and setting up for tomorrow.
9-1-18-baby-backs-b4.jpg

I've tried Malcolm Reid's at "How to barbecue right" recipe for his competition ribs. it's good!

Remove the sinew!

Basting with an apple juice, pineapple juice, cider vinegar, olive oil, sweet wine baste.

This one was good too.

Back
Top Bottom