Your Speakers and Your Wife

As I've browsed the net, I always seem to run into tales about one's significant other having an impact on their equipment choices. I'm curious if anyone has some stories they'd like to share. :D

My wife has no interest or input on equipment choices, just the price tag! If I get a new piece she usually asks don't you already have that or why do I need it. Then I start down the path of why I think I do and she instantly regrets asking, lol. As soon as I get into the details of the equipment I can see her glaze over and become lost. I think she figures it's easier to roll with it than try and understand it. It works, happily married for 16 years and counting!

My wife hates my speakers. Not because of their sound... because of their size. Altec Voice of the Theater Flamencos. There are some things I cannot give in on.

It has never been speakers that have gotten me "The Look". But you should have seen the look on her face when I opened the garage door and it was full of 28,000 records. She just shook her head and went for a walk. She came back home.

Wait, she did shake her head when I brought home an EV Georgian. Those are pretty big, way bigger than my Altec 17's.

But in reality my wife (married 33 years) has been very supportive of my audio hobby, although I have put it to test a few times.

My wife's really understanding. The only issue she's really had with speakers was when I decided to make the jump from mid-fi vintage to higher quality sound...and the prices on my speakers went up drastically.
When I explained that I was kinda getting tired of searching for "the" sound by trying tons of different used vintage speakers (none of which I was able to try first), and that I knew that I'd love the MA RX8's since I had spent considerable time listening to them, she understood and acquiesced.

My wife cares only about how the speakers sound. My favorite story is this - at AK Fest a few years ago, we heard the amazing little Role Audio Sampan FTLs. As we left the room she said "we are going to buy those, aren't we?" :)

Speakers vs Wife's love...

Speakers vs Wife's love...

attachment.php

Attachments

• SpeakersVsLove-InverselyProportional.jpg
    SpeakersVsLove-InverselyProportional.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 853
My wife doesn't seem to mind the size of the speakers. Nor the cost. The -quantity- wears thin on her sometimes methinks.....

Attachments

• AV40 front.jpg
    AV40 front.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 287
The girlfriend (not wife yet!) is using my second largest speakers... with my most powerful amplifier. So far, it's working out!

Back
Top Bottom