Your Top 5 older cartridges

Empire 888 SE
Yamaha MC-11
Shure M31E
AT90E
Shure M75-6

And a few more from Ortofon and ADC but they need styli ATM.

Micro-Acoustics 282e
Shure M92e
Audio Technica AT2000XE
My Shure V15 IV was stolen years ago.

Last edited:
Shure V15 Type 3 with MR stylus
Stanton 881S
Grace F9E
Shure V15 Type 4 HE and MR
Pickering XSV 3000 and XV15 1200

Last edited:
Where do you get styli for your Empire 2000E? I've got one that came with a $30 turntable, but the stylus I got from the Netherlands via Fleabay is crap.

I installed the 2000E/III on my brother's turntable in the late 1970s and didn't buy another one for myself, so I can't offer any guidance on where to get a good stylus for it today. Sorry.

My top five in order of current preference are.

Fidelity Research MC 202 - 1981
Spectral Reference - 1991
Fidelity Research PMC-1 - 1981
Audio Technica AT ML180 - 1990’s
Shinon Boron Red - 1989

I own, or have owned, these favorites:

Stanton 681
Decca 4RC
ADC XLM (original)
Bang & Olufsen MMC6000
Shure Type 4

Only one vote for the Acutex? That is on my list.

Both styles the older Brick type and the LPM models from the
310 up to the 320 .

I'll also vote for the Entre EC20 moving coil.

Nashou

From the 70’s and 80’s.

Grado GF1+ and Grado Signature 8MX

Stanton 681EEE

Shure V15- III and also M75

AT 35E (moving coil)

Sorry, I did my "5 Favorite"- well, three are older anyway....
#1- Dynavector 20x2L
#2- Ortofon 2M Black
#3- ADC XLM Mk III, Shibata stylus
#4- Ortofon OM 20
#5- Stanton 681EEE (I LOVED this cartridge when I was much younger, with my '70's prog rock and jazz. When I got back into vinyl about 10 years ago, the first thing I did was to buy an original one on eBay and a new stylus. The thrill was gone. Found it too mellow and lacking in other ways. This is before I had even heard the better cartridges on my list. Funny how that works. The hardest thing for the human mind to "remember" IMHO, is sound.)

Special mention: Nagoeka MP110. Great "PRAT", fun to listen to, great value. Like to pull it out sometimes for my '80's stuff.

Last edited:
Sorry, I did my "5 Favorite"- well, three are older anyway....
#1- Dynavector 20x2L
#2- Ortofon 2M Black
#3- ADC XLM Mk III, Shibata stylus
#4- Ortofon OM 20
#5- Stanton 681EEE (I LOVED this cartridge when I was much younger, with my '70's prog rock and jazz. When I got back into vinyl about 10 years ago, the first thing I did was to buy an original one on eBay and a new stylus. The thrill was gone. Found it too mellow and lacking in other ways. This is before I had even heard the better cartridges on my list. Funny how that works. The hardest thing for the human mind to "remember" IMHO, is sound.)

Special mention: Nagoeka MP110. Great "PRAT", fun to listen to, great value. Like to pull it out sometimes for my '80's stuff.

Put the MP 200 stylus on that MP 110 for a nice treat.

bobins, I've heard that and can't wait until the stylus wears. It's almost new right now.
I know the upgrade trick works w/ Ortofons and many of the older Shures as well.

Linn Asak (not sure when it was made?)

First made 1979 or 80 (roughly), by the Japanese Asakura Brothers, hence the name Linn used for it. It was certainly available for sale in 1980.

It was an excellent match (resonance 9.5Hz) with the Linn Ittok LVII, according to a review in Audio magazine, March 84 - see https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Audio-Magazine.htm . It was quite a good performer, with a flat frequency response, effectively 30Hz – 20kHz ±1.5dB, with a slight rise below 30Hz due to a slightly undamped arm/cartridge resonance. That’s excellent for a cartridge, so it’s not a surprise it sounds good, as most cartridges with flat responses do.:thumbsup:

Not had the funds to go through a bunch of carts yet but so far the list is:

5) Shure M95E. Low compliance, works well on the Pioneer PL-115
4) Shure M97xe, HE stylus. Doesn't do anything bad really
3) Grado GF-3 w/Blue Stylus. The midrange!!
2) Grado F-3 w/8MZ stylus. The midrange but with better highs
1) Pickering XSV-3000. My absolute favorite sounding cart. Only know of it because a Dual TT I bought came with one.
.... Liked it so much I bought a 2nd one and currently run one each on the Technics SL-1600 and Dual 721 (subject to periodic cart rolling)

That's my limited experience with old carts on a budget.
Would like to try the Denons someday.

Where do you get styli for your Empire 2000E? I've got one that came with a $30 turntable, but the stylus I got from the Netherlands via Fleabay is crap.

I hope that was not a Tonar stylus that was crap. They are usually quite good as they are sourced from ****. Here in the States, save time and money on shipping by buying JICO styli from LPTunes. Even though I plug them all the time, I have no vested interest. If you wanted a Swiss stylus, I would recommend Needledaddy1 on eBay. I just try to point people in the right direction for what they want.

Back
Top Bottom