Your Top 5 older cartridges

Micro Acoustics MA-3002e
Decca MK V (Early 70's) - First HOMC as far as I know
Original ADC XLM
Stanton 681EE
Audio Technica 440 (not so old...)

I'll do this differently: I'm going to list some carts that did NOT make the top 5 too (ALL are p-mounts):

Grado black with a 8mz stylus
Digitrac 380 NE
ADC PSX-40
Shure M110HE
Shure/Realistic RXT6
Shure M104e with LP Gear VL stylus.
Shure/Realistic RXT5 with a N97xe stylus.
Audio Technica "AT-92ML" (It's the AT 92e with the ML stylus).
Audio Technica 142LP with a AT152LP stylus.
Audio Technica 8008 (w/ original Shibata stylus)
Technics P33s with SAS stylus.

That said....

5- ADC first gen. p-mount (I have no idea what the model is, but it's the one with the channels reversed).
4 - Empire 395LT with a 246-DEX stylus.
3 - Shure M92 cart with a Radio Shack/Shure RXT5 stylus.
2 - Empire 897 XLT (w/ original 'quad' stylus).
1 - Audio Technica SS330E/U with a AT 212-DE stylus.

Yea, I don't believe it either, but I'm not into specs, name, cost or any of that. The only thing I want is pure sound after I transfer and clean an album, or occasional listening.

Last edited:
I'll do this differently: I'm going to list some carts that did NOT make the top 5 too (ALL are p-mounts):

Digitrac 380 NE
ADC PSX-40
Shure M100e

That said....

5- ADC first gen. p-mount (I have no idea what the model is, but it's the one with the channels reversed).
2- Empire 897 XLT (w/ original 'quad' stylus).

Yea, I don't believe it either, but I'm not into specs, name, cost or any of that. The only thing I want is pure sound after I transfer and clean an album, or occasional listening.

Agree with your comment. I prefer my two GE VR 1000's which cost $10/each back in the day. I even prefer them to my Ortofon Quintet Blue. The best test instruments are located on the sides of our heads.

The best test instruments are located on the sides of our heads.

Absolutely! Years ago when I sold stereo gear and such it was something I always told people: close your eyes and just listen. Never mind name, cost or any of that. Just listen. That's all you need in the end!

Funny.... did a master for a band for release on CD with a AT-92e - hardly a cart that would be used in an instance like that. I was reading reviews on it that said 'we're so glad they went back to the original masters for this release because the sound quality is stunning". And it was done with a $19.99 cart and stylus! Hearing is believing!!!

The Decca is neither MM or MC. It is a moving iron/induced magnet. :music:
Interesting - I had always presumed they were moving coils because of the low output of the earlier versions, but further research showed my I'm wrong.

Another interesting old cartridge I have recently acquired but haven't gotten it - Euphonics miniconic arm and cartridge. One of the first strain gauge type cartridges.

I like the GE VR 1000's. They are a Peter E Pritchard design. They generate the signal at the stylus tip similar to the Londons(Decca) and the A/T ART 1000. I call the VR 1000's the 'poor man's London'. But, they are very rare. They do have the advantage of a replaceable stylus. And they track very well with a proper stylus. I use mine at 1.5 grams VTF.

That would be killer! But I'm not looking for a $500 VR-1000! I missed one once that went for like $30 in an auction described only as "Shure parts." I wonder if the buyer even did anything with it or (gasp) threw it away.

I remember you mentioning that auction. I got one buy it now VR 1000 for $164. One guy wanted me to find him a decent stylus for the GE VR-22. I tried some and gave up. I told him to forget the VR-22 and buy a VR 1000. He did. And liked it so much that he bought another one. I tested 34 styli to find 10 good ones for him. Check one of the last pages on my VR 1000 thread on LH. One guy has four VR 1000's. PM him.

Shure M95HE
Signet TK3ea

I started out with a couple of Empire low end things and graduated to an Ortofon VMS 10 or something before the.two better carts.

Shure V15 Type IV
Shure V15 Type III

I concur as these two are the only types of cartridges I have ever used on the various arms that have been attached to my AT "The Turntable". I have several examples of each, but more of the Type III, which I prefer just a wee bit over the Type IV. I like the III's weight and, frankly, its appearance. It's a good-lookin' cartridge that delivers excellent performance @ least for my requirements.

Digitrac 380 NE
ADC PSX-40
Shure M110HE
Shure/Realistic RXT6
Shure/Realistic RXT5 with a N97xe stylus.

That said....

2 - Empire 897 XLT (w/ original 'quad' stylus).

I posted a top 5 vintage p-mount list somewhere upthread.

The XT series are the early ADC p-mounts with the channels reversed. They ranged from the XT-I conical to the XT-IV aliptic.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-adc-p-mount-that-wanted-to-be-real.625418/

I posted a top 5 vintage p-mount list somewhere upthread.

The XT series are the early ADC p-mounts with the channels reversed. They ranged from the XT-I conical to the XT-IV aliptic.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-adc-p-mount-that-wanted-to-be-real.625418/

Thanks! I can never remember the name of that one. I have two of those ADC's. One has a XT-III stylus, and the other has a XLM-III. Very detailed and full. My main thing is digital transfer/restoration, so I can flip the channel sides easily enough. Once you declick and remove the vinyl noise, it's an incredible full sound with them with lots of detail, but not fatiguing. I'm still NOT a fan of the ADC PSX series however (I have 3 of those - PSX-10, PSX-30 and a PSX-40).

Need to look into those ADC reverse channel pmounts.

As I noted in my previous post, I have two of those now. They have a very rich, full sound to them that isn't fatiguing at all. I like it a LOT more than my ADC PSX-40, which I find 'dead' or 'flat' sounding compared to others.

acutex lpm 320 str
audio technica at15sa
pickering tl-3s
digitrac 450se
empire 440D
All with original stylus

B&O sp12, at LS500LC and ADC psx-40 just didn't make in the list

Back
Top Bottom