Zenith Allegro Idler Trouble

Bstorey

Hello All,
I picked up a Zenith Allegro set that’s super clean with original manuals and everything is in excellent working order with the exception of the turntable not spinning. I’ve cleaned most everything up and motor is spinning freely. The idler wheel is making contact with the motor but will only spin when slight back pressure is placed on the arm. There’s a hole in the middle of that arm and I’m wondering if there should be a spring to hold the wheel to the motor in this hole or some other adjustment that will keep the wheel in contact with the motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 47
A picture please of which changer you have. Depending on what you have, you have either a Voice Of Music, BSR, or Garrard model.
I’m not in front of the changer anymore. I have a picture from earlier but it had a record on it. Not sure if you can tell what kind it is or not. If not I’ll take another picture tomorrow.

Attachments

• 40A53C2E-E1BB-4C30-A150-38C9FE83302C.jpeg
    40A53C2E-E1BB-4C30-A150-38C9FE83302C.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 42
No loose tell-tale part such as a spring that might have popped off and be stuck somewhere?

No loose tell-tale part such as a spring that might have popped off and be stuck somewhere?
Didn’t see one anywhere. If you look at the first picture I posted I have my finger on the part that I’m having to touch to make the idler spin on the motor and there’s a hole just under my finger that I’m unsure if there should be a spring there or not.

There’s a hole in the middle of that arm and I’m wondering if there should be a spring to hold the wheel to the motor in this hole or some other adjustment that will keep the wheel in contact with the motor.
To answer your original question I would say YES. That is the case with most mechanical devices of this sort.
Figuring out what goes where is the tougher part. Maybe studying the above pictures might give you some idea.

The head of the tonearm looks very Garrardish. If that hole was for a spring, would it not be closer to the edge of the metal tab?

That is a nice looking unit but it doesn’t look like what I have. Thanks for the post!

Please post more pictures of your table with the platter off, including wide angle shots and close ups from different angles. Please also post pictures of the underside.

Your best bet will be to compare it to a stock working model and see if there is a deviation. But first, you need to identify who made it for Zenith and the model number.

Often the idler will not contact the motor very well without the platter in place. The platter actually pushes it into position. There should be a spring, usually pulling on the idler in the general direction of the motor though.

Here are a few more pictures. Idler wheel moves freely but it won’t hold tight to the motor. It has a lot of play and just pushes away from the motor. A feather’s worth of tension on the back of the (arm?) holds it in place. I tried to post a short video but it wouldn’t allow it.

Attachments

• A8C081F2-AB5A-4ED6-98E8-6E138BC17548.jpeg
    A8C081F2-AB5A-4ED6-98E8-6E138BC17548.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 08614D96-6DE8-4F3B-BE93-BE6CF57A800A.jpeg
    08614D96-6DE8-4F3B-BE93-BE6CF57A800A.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 25
  • FC0EB988-0B39-4FD1-A492-EDA7225A6D21.jpeg
    FC0EB988-0B39-4FD1-A492-EDA7225A6D21.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 2745CA35-84DF-4FC0-958E-1BCEA5FF0DAD.jpeg
    2745CA35-84DF-4FC0-958E-1BCEA5FF0DAD.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 7783EB8A-19DA-464B-A628-8D5C95D7AF4E.jpeg
    7783EB8A-19DA-464B-A628-8D5C95D7AF4E.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 87B7D301-A2C5-49DC-94AF-95979BFE0479.jpeg
    87B7D301-A2C5-49DC-94AF-95979BFE0479.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 23
How pliable is the rubber on the idler? It very well could be idler is just so dried out it slips. VOM audio enthusiasts is a good place for getting a reconditioned idler.

A Zenith turntable I worked on recently had that same Garrard mechanism in it. The rubber on the idler wheel had hardened and wasn't making good contact with the motor and platter, but I was able to jury-rig a temporary fix:

Often the idler will not contact the motor very well without the platter in place. The platter actually pushes it into position. There should be a spring, usually pulling on the idler in the general direction of the motor though.
OK, maybe a silly question but after you cleaned it did you try it with the platter back on?

OK, maybe a silly question but after you cleaned it did you try it with the platter back on?

Good point, I think that the pressure between the motor capstan, idler wheel, and the platter make for the spinning. (Not an expert though)

Good point, I think that the pressure between the motor capstan, idler wheel, and the platter make for the spinning. (Not an expert though)

I notice in the video above there seems to be a spring that pulls the idler to the motor. You can barely catch it between the 6:10 to 6:40 mark.

I have tried with the platter back on. I get some spinning at 78 but practically nothing at 33.
I do have the spring that pulls the idler to the motor but it takes that extra touch to make it stay in contact enough to spin properly and as soon as you let go it stops spinning.

Back
Top Bottom