Zenith Allegro's worth it?

Romeo Wolf

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I see on Craigslist, a couple of speakers I've been wanting to own, for a fraction of the price. One is a 300: (not 3000)Screenshot_20180816-164420.png
And the other, is an 8 track player, with the wedge (Allegro 4000's) for extra:Screenshot_20180816-164700.png
Screenshot_20180816-164716.png
I know the 4000's are high excursion with their heavy magnet and 12" woofers, but does it compare to my Sanyo SSV16's? Are they any good, and do they perform better than my huge-ass Sanyo's with 16" woofers?

Meanwhile, can the 300's replace the utterly crappy Zenith SRF-711B speakers to top with my Sanyo's? (Just a suggestion)

If any of the allegro's are worth it, which one should I save up for? Will they replace my Jelly-ish SSV16's that might go back to the living room?P_20180810_164856_vHDR_On.jpg
You decide!

300's for $60 - yes if all drivers are good no tearing.

4000's for $300 - Hell no - up to $100 in good shape - $150 if you include the "stereo" part_I wouldn't.

Better than yer Sanyos? I highly doubt it.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade I honestly think since yer here that after some poking around you'll want much better very soon and will suffer from buyer's remorse almost immediately;
followed by seller's angst as you wait to unload them.

I do think the 300's will be an improvement over what you have on top of the Sanyos but hey - so will lots of other better ones up to the $100 mark.

Sound preference being highly subjective to each individual person there's only one way to know if you like what you hear or not. You just have to buy them and get them home for testing your own set up combos. It does not matter if someone else thinks a speaker sucks INCLUDING ME because they hear differently than you do. If you like it you like it if ya don't ya don't period. What others think means nothing except for SWMBO of course.

Now I've never hear any Z's or Sanyos so I base my opinion an 34 pairs I have bought at many different prices and what I got for the money. I'm confident you can easily do better.

Even if you hear them at purchase in buddy's house that's great if they all work and you like it. Doesn't mean they'll sound anything like you expect when you get them home and into your environment.

This is how some of us wind up with a wall full if we don't sell off stuff to get better stuff. I caution you it's a slippery slope my friend. But at the end of the day you can say what you like and what you don't. Enjoy the journey :)

Romeo - consider subscribing to AK to access Barter Town and get a better deal from a member_:naughty:

Last edited:
I have a pair of 3000's, 10" woofer and the Foster horn tweeter they sound decent enough but I would not pay more than 50.00 for a pair.
DSCI0072.JPG

3000's for $60 - yes if all drivers are good no tearing.

4000's for $300 - Hell no - up to $100 in good shape - $150 if you include the "stereo" part_I wouldn't.

Better than yer Sanyos? I highly doubt it.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade I honestly think since yer here that after some poking around you'll want much better very soon and will suffer from buyer's remorse almost immediately;
followed by seller's angst as you wait to unload them.

I do think the 3000's will be an improvement over what you have on top of the Sanyos but hey - so will lots of other better ones up to the $100 mark.

Romeo - consider subscribing to AK to access Barter Town and get a better deal from a member_:naughty:
Again, They're 300's. Not 3000's. (Different size, different looks, do your research)

The 4000's for what I see on eBay are ridiculous. Seriously, +$400 for ONE speaker? And +$1,000 for a pair on another listing? What the hell? The one on Craigslist are extra from the track player, but they're probably the cheapest I can get to. And they appear to be in better condition than the ones on eBay.

They may not replace my cheesy $40 goodwill sanyos with tiny magnets, Mylar tweeter, foil midrange dustcap, BPC looks, plastic covers around the gaskets, stamped basket frames, skimpy crossover, tiny port, etc..

But they may sound better (Fostex horn tweeter, Ainico Woofers)

~And, where can I subscribe? (I'm still a bit new and ain't on often so I'm kinda lost on where to start)

Last edited:
I don't need to do research to correct a typo but I'll fix that up. There are 3000's too but they are a little different.
300's or 3000's either way cheap stuff .
s-l1000.jpg

Romeo, I'm glad you asked before you paid. I think you're contemplating a layover to some really good sound when you think about those Zenith 300 speakers. And it may be hard to recover the money, however little.
I'm suggesting you pass and go higher up the chain from the start if you want some quality speakers. Unless you want to experience them since they've been on your list and you are prepared to give them away later.
I would love to see other speakers as you run up on potential candidates. Most of the classics from the 60's and 70's are very good. And many can be had for an amazingly low price for the build quality and sound. The Zenith 300 speaker is not one of them. The raw drivers are better than the end result on this one. And build quality is non existent.
If the 300's were offered to me for free I would politely explain that I don't have room for them in the stack.

Romeo, I'm glad you asked before you paid. I think you're contemplating a layover to some really good sound when you think about those Zenith 300 speakers. And it may be hard to recover the money, however little.
I'm suggesting you pass and go higher up the chain from the start if you want some quality speakers. Unless you want to experience them since they've been on your list and you are prepared to give them away later.
I would love to see other speakers as you run up on potential candidates. Most of the classics from the 60's and 70's are very good. And many can be had for an amazingly low price for the build quality and sound. The Zenith 300 speaker is not one of them. The drivers alone are better than the end result on this one. And build quality is non existent.
If the 300's were offered to me for free I would politely explain that I don't have room for them in the stack.
Alright. It looks like I'll pass (especially since the listing has been sitting for weeks, maybe even months)

When you can afford to swing it, it's worth every penny. You'll be able to see what's being offered, or post your own want to buy, (WTB) ad, with your budget.

So what's the next candidate on your list?
A more powerful receiver to maybe replace the ancient underpowered Sherwood of mine.

I just bought my 3rd receiver from Goodwill, gotta let you guys know what it might be worth.

A more powerful receiver to maybe replace the ancient underpowered Sherwood of mine.

I just bought my 3rd receiver from Goodwill, gotta let you guys know what it might be worth.
But do you not have a 1974 60 watt rms Sherwood S-8900a? A much sought after and known to be excellent 60 watt receiver? If so you got a looooong way to go before your speakers catch up to that fine Sherwood. You may get more power and you may get more bass or treble or something else, but you will be hard pressed to get better sound on the first few rodeo's. Don't sell the Sherwood.

Back
Top Bottom