Zenith2134

zenith2134

Addicted Member
Hi fellow audio enthusiasts. The name's Tom and I've been a member for approximately 2 and a half years now. In that time, I have learned invaluable information about the classic equipment we collect here at Audiokarma. Let me just solidify the fact that this forum has some of the kindest and intelligent people I have ever spoken with on the world wide web.

My hobby started years ago, when I first listened critically to my father's vintage system. It consisted of an SX-737 receiver, Large Advents and JBL vintage monitor speakers. I sat down, turned it on, and was fascinated by the blue illumination and all of the controls. Then I adjusted for FM stereo and sat back. I don't recall the station or song, but I remember throwing the loudness circuit and pushing the bass to maximum. The thing put out the most solid basslines I had ever heard at that point. Then my father tells me, "Oh you know you can run both sets of speakers at once."

Ever since then, I moved on to the real world of high-fidelity audio. A few years after that, I started finding and fooling around with old TV sets, which also amazed me.

In the past few years, I have auditioned, repaired, and enjoyed more vintage equipment than I should have :music:. My collection is now as follows, from smallest wattage amplification to largest:

System one : Stromberg Carlson ASR433 stereo integrated, Garrard Z2000B TT, DIY fullrange speakers (came out of an old console, tweeters mounted outside of box), ADC cd-100x vintage CDP.

Two: Kenwood KR-710, Insignia NS-B2111 speakers, Teac V205 bpc cassette deck

Three: Sanyo DCA611 integrated, Akai 3-way 92db/1w/1m towers, Sony CDP-C345

Four: Akai AM-2800 integrated, recapped driver board and new power cord, AT2600 tuner, Technics SL-Q200 TT, Sony SCD-CE595 player, Fisher XP-9C's

Five: Pioneer SX-1050 receiver, ADS L-780's in beige walnut, Apple M.B.Pro computer (FLAC, some mp3), Panasonic R2R (cheapie).

My vinyl collection is growing at an alarming rate. me and my hi-fi dealer were testing cartridges and the sound of the Ortofons caught my attention.

Oh, did I mention I have around 5 vintage tube-chassis TV's lying around? Classic USA-made gear.

In closing, I just want to give everyone on Audiokarma a big THANK YOU for all the advice, stories, and wisdom you have shared over the last few years. Sincerely, Tommy

Last edited:
Very nice intro Tom, thanks for posting! :music:

I have a feeling there are quite a few here who share your sentiments... :D

5 tube-chassis vintage TVs laying around ? Yes, you're mad. Quite mad. But you really need a couple more to be a full-blown Bull Goose Loony like Moi...

Back
Top Bottom