ZF 6HP19 Solenoids

skippy_ps

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
'05 530i, M54, 70k miles.

Some erratic shifting - didn't what to shift to 3rd at 3/4 throttle, sometimes would shift back and forth between 3 and 4 at light throttle, jerky 1-2 and 2-3 shift.

Changed the atf, twice and reset adaptations using a scanner. Better but still sometimes it seems like slow shift to third. It was "surging" but that seems to have stopped after changing the fluid and adaptations.

Got new solenoids, mecatronics sleeve, that rectangular rubber/plastic connector and 4 black plastic tubes that go between the valve body and transmission. New oil pan. ATF dripped, splashed, drizzled, running down my arm, everywhere.

Just got it put back together tonight but didn't have time to put fluid back in. It's no fun at all putting the valve body back in.

tCfYuwo.jpg

Dsi45pY.jpg

OzGREsI.jpg

Zo3doth.jpg

Last edited:
I hate transmission work. Its not possible to do anything under one without getting fluid dripped in your face. At least it doesn't stink like diff oil does.

It should have places where you can check the oil pressure under operation (on a lift in a safe manner) as you could have internal seal problems. Clutches could also be bad. Did it have a hard life from say aggressive driver(s)?

Last edited:
I googled it and it is a good trans. Overheating from hard use in hot weather (they should have big towing type coolers added with electric fans) etc. can hurt it and the solenoids can damage the other internals if your unlucky when you get a failure there. Computers further complicate things and add to the costs! I would want to convert to a manual trans if mine!

It should have places where you can check the oil pressure under operation (on a lift in a safe manner) as you could have internal seal problems. Clutches could also be bad. Did it have a hard life from say aggressive driver(s)?
There could be a way to do that but I don't know what it is. There's a trans fluid cooler next to the radiator.

The usual way to diag the trans is to read codes with a scanner then figure out what's wrong. I don't have any codes but the symptoms I have are common. The solution seems to be to change the solenoids and replace the seals that you see inside the transmission. I don't have any clutch slipping.

Tip for today. The current fluid change suggestion is 100k miles. Don't wait that long - more like 50 - 60k.

Murray

Does the pan have a drain? The one on my 4HP22 does, and its rather nice. I added drains to my two Lincolns with the AOD. Dropping a full pan of oil to drain it is too messy.

Does the pan have a drain? The one on my 4HP22 does, and its rather nice. I added drains to my two Lincolns with the AOD. Dropping a full pan of oil to drain it is too messy.
Yes, drain plug. There is no dipstick tube so you add atf from a plug on the side of the transmission. Not as bad as it seems.

Murray

That sounds delightful. Where does one access the plug? Hopefully you don't have to jack the thing up and go underneath.

That sounds delightful. Where does one access the plug? Hopefully you don't have to jack the thing up and go underneath.
You have to get the car up high enough that you can crawl under there and then get the car pretty much level, front to back and side to side. Really.

If you look up to the side of the transmission above where the drain plug is on the pan, there's an 8mm hex sticking out from the fill plug. Nothin' to it. :) That's the old pan.

Murray
Ykd9JWT.jpg

Just finished filling it and letting the fluid run out until it felt warm on my calibrated finger. Goes in D and R and seems to be fine so far. No fluid running out anywhere so good.

Big mess to clean up.

Murray

huzLki9.jpg

That's the way an older Audi A6 (about 2001) is checked and filled . The pressure test method was used on the older non electronic AT 's and maybe isn't used so much any more.

Test drive completed - success. Made a couple of near wot runs from stop and the 2-3 shift is fine. Then, made a quick trip to the grocery and it's even better. No more jerky 2-3 shift. Seems to do the 3-2 and 2-1 shift a little early so there's a slight, umm, thud, when slowing but that should clear up with more ecu learning.

No signs of fluid running out on the ground. :)

Oh, and for the readers having that slam into 1st gear when taking off while rolling slowly, that seems to be gone too.

Murray

Back
Top Bottom